iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weekend Sawing

Started by Oregon_Sawyer, September 22, 2003, 12:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Sawyer

Time to start a new topic.  Sat. Sawing was getting pretty long.

Fri I got the water line inspected and passed.
My builder wanted one more 6x12x12 cedar beam.  I thought I had one that only had to be trimed but it had to many defects.  I cut another out of a cull cedar log.  Ended up with a CVG Beam.  I asked the builder if it was OK if it did't have any knots. :D

Sat I trimed lumber and cut a couple of low quality logs and got a big fir buck skin ready for Sun.

Sunday  we had friends over and didn't get to cut as planned.  But I tried.  Here is a picture of the log before I loaded it.

When I got it up I found I could not turn it even with the fancy chain turner.  It is quite heavy. So I unloaded it and will halve it with a chainsaw and try aqain.   The small end is 32 inches one way and 38 the other.  16 ft long

I hope to cut CVG boards to make a T&G exposed ceiling with.
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Bibbyman

Tom,  looks like Oregon_Sawyer loaded up to the Forum Gallery but I bet it won't show because there is a "#" character in the picture name.  Jeff told me the program don't like capatol letters or spaces.  Looks like caps work.  

OS,  maybe you can change the name to take out the "#" and then upload it again.  You can "modify" your post and delete the old picture  and insert the new one.

It could work.  Where's Jeff when you need him?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jason_WI

I have done some sawing this past weekend. I have uploaded the pictures to my photo album.

http://my.vbe.com/~jbirnsch/MyPhotos

Also added some pictures of more mill mods that were done a while back.

The amount of sawdust you see in the toe board mod pictures is after sawing 4000 bf of cedar and hemlock. The homebrew sawdust collector works that well.

Now I just need to figgure out a way to collect the sawdust from the edger. I am thinking about a V shaped pan that is sloped towards a port where the collection hose can be mounted on. Mounting the pan to the edger will pick up the motor vibrations and shake the sawdust towards the port. I will have to look at it a little better cause I know my plan may be flawed somewhere.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Bibbyman

Sure like your dust chute plumbing on your sawmill.  I've been meening to do something like that but ain't got "a round to-it".  

Does it have a door in the bottom to clean out the bird's nests that tend to build up?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jason_WI

Are you talking at the bottom of the chute incase it plugs up. I have only had it plug up once with cedar bark strands. I just lift the whole chute off and clean out the blockage.

I have to lift the chute off when I change the blade.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Oregon_Sawyer

Bibbyman, someone helped get my picture up.  I'll remember next time to leave the # out.  I have to figure out how to make the pictures a little bigger and clearer.
Today, Friday, I got to try again on the big fir log.  It took me almost two hours to get it split with  two chainsaws, all my splitting wedges and some wedges of firewood.  Finally I had to fire up the skidder's and use the grapples to shake it apart.

It will be worth it as almost all the boards I cut today were Clear Vertical Grain.  

I only got half of it done today as it was in the high 80's today.  Way to hot for Oregon in September.  Sure won't help deer hunting either.

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Oregon_Sawyer

Well the post about quartersawing and the other one about ripping a big oak made me finally do something about some oversize logs I had.

I have cut some before but have decided I don't belong up on a 4 - 6 ft log with a chainsaw.  Besides my saw always cuts curves 8)  I decided to get some experts to help me. Two brothers who are supposed to be retired timber cutters have coffee where I do sometimes.  I asked Rosie (His wife is Marlynn is the waitress) If he would like to half and quarter some logs for me.

Sat.  Rosie and Floyd his brother came out to see what I had.  Floyd had done alot of this at one time for a big sawmill on the coast.  They told me how to set everything up and took my big saw and went back to town to sharpen and get their other saw.

This is a picture of the first log.  They had me set  and or roll them up on some smaller logs.

They took string and painted a line down the log.  Then they started at one end and cut clear thru the log and worked to the other end cutting clear thru all the way.  The log in the background they will do when the return with their 60in bar and chain.

This is what the log looks like after they cut it in half.

Admireing their handy work.

Here is how I move them to my mill.  My mill is just to the left of the loader.

Here is another log.  Percy is ther any clear in this?  Cull logs can be fun.

They cut four logs for me in less than 3 hrs and called it a day. :D  Oh well they are only about 70.  Said they would be back next week with their big saw.

And to show what a wonderful day it was Brenna took a picture of Jet her dog enjoy the fall leaves.

Steve Wiley came out after lunch and stayed until dark watching, helping and visiting.

Loren

Stephen_Wiley

Well Frank, was right I did not need my gloves.  Although I brought them, wore them shortly as I did not need them handling that cedar.

Loren, will definately have to come back and bring my old fallen saw (Stihl 75) for a workout.  Of course it may be to noisy with that quiet mill running.

Enjoyed the day and evening - looking forward to talking again soon!
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!