iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a tracked skidder

Started by sprucebunny, March 23, 2005, 10:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Been following ya here Sprucebunny.  Two words.....

YEE HAW!!!!
8) 8) 8)
Say when

Vermonter

Congrats on the new mill.  I think they build one DanG good mill, I like a lot of their features.
New homestead

SwampDonkey

When are we gonna see some new boards? Am I gonna have to come down and do some off-bearing? ;D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Thanks, everyone ;D

Sure, SwampDonkey 8) That would be great. First They got to build the access road ::) and then I got to collect a pile of logs. Maybe in October ??? ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sprucebunny

Well I never did take the cat up there this summer partly because the access road wasn't done till mid November  ::) Then it's been a poor winter but now the trail has hard snow and no snowmobiles are out so I took the cat up there today to recover some recently blown down balsam.

Once I remembered how to work the winch ( ::) ), we yanked a hung up tree down and dragged it away 8)

There are 2 logs hitched up and then we dragged the smallest log out with the quad and dragged all 3 a mile and a half.

The balsam is about 15" at the butt. It was hung up in the birch behind Steve.

The cat also enjoyed it's first picnic ;D You can see one wing of the Coleman stove.

I'm pretty excited that this thing works well ;D and even more excited that we didn't break anything ....yet :D

Oh... and when I got to the little icy hill and spun the tracks I backed the whole messs up about 15 feet !!!! Finally got over the little hill by Steve pulling the cat with his quad :D :o

isawlogs

Joan
Glad to see that thing out there earning its keep . ;D   I am also pleased to hear that it works and that you are having fun getting logs out for the mill .
  How long where these , ??? ???
I guess you dont have studs on the tracks of the cat , those steel crossers on ice dont have much traction do they ..
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sprucebunny

Thanks, Marcel  :)

The logs were all about 16 feet.

Nope, no studs, but I'm thinking hard about adding them or fixing that spot in the trail  :P :P ;D

I can't wait to get back up there and drag some more logs ;D

isawlogs

Did you get that mill going and saw all those logs up yet ..  ???

Have you pull any more logs Joan .  ???

smiley_paparazzi smiley_paparazzi smiley_paparazzi       ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

It's probably getting sloppy down to joan's in the woods. It is up here, snows been melting by 10 am, ground is chilled in the mornings. Nearly no snow in alot of fields, further north of me there is more snow. There is also about 8 inches of ice and crust in the woods, less on south slopes.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I have been breaking trails with the skidder . I have a JD 540 , enough snow out there to have the belly pans leave there mark on the snow . I went saturday all day and went back there today and openned up a couple of landings . One for the pine and one for poplar . And then broke some more trails .
Where I drove saturday I could move around in fith gear .. as soon as you fall off you are back down to first and playing with the steering to get around .  ::)

Marcel

sprucebunny

No logs today. I tried to take a mini-dump trailer load ( 1 cu yd ) out to the icy spot with the cat. Turns out there is ANOTHER icy spot ::) Had to shovel /dump out the trailer and move the cat ahead and tow the trailer with the winch..... Got the cat turned around and slid on the ice sideways into the trailer :D Just my typical day :D Finally got that all untangled with no damage to anything and got all the toys back to thier parking spot.

It got up to about 34F today but things are still pretty well frozen in the shade.

Think I will need to start a new log yard beyond the icy spot  :P

Sure wish I had your snow problems , Marcel ;D

isawlogs

Joan
  Sure wish I could give them to you .  ::) :o

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!