iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logman81 new job pics

Started by logman81, November 24, 2013, 12:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

Yeh when oak have big tops like that its easier on the leave trees too cut the logs out in the woods I do the same thing sometimes. Do you have a lot of deer in RI I know my cousin and his dad and another guy go down once a year and they usually do well hunting there
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

logman81

Yes it is the best way to do it on this job I don't want to damage the leave trees. We have lots of deer I have seen many on this job checking out my work.
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

thecfarm

Not bad at all. I have a hobby of walking places that have been cut. I would enjoy walking through one of yours.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Thanks cfarm I try to keep it nice and clean. I'm one of only a few loggers around here that go the extra mile to do a nice job.

nedly05

Very nice work! Man some guys just go in a make a huge mess, I hate the way it looks. People see that and they think thats the way everyone leaves the woods.

lynde37avery

I had figured it out one time that in logging the clean up is more than half the job! kind of sounds right.

That tree farmer looks nice. id like to try one some time. a c6 with a duetz to be exact ;) hardwood is looking like it will bring good coin. nice looking job as well. id say perfect!  8)
Detroit WHAT?

Dave Shepard

Quote from: logman81 on December 04, 2013, 07:08:05 AM
Yes it is the best way to do it on this job I don't want to damage the leave trees. We have lots of deer I have seen many on this job checking out my work.

They are just waiting for you to leave so they can start nibbling the tops. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

Nice that looks good! Yeh its always fun to have some deer around when you are working
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

logman81

Finally got a load of the logs I've been cutting to the mill ! And they may be coming for another tomorrow. Also things are looking good for selling my skidder but time will tell.

woodlandmillguy27

Nice job, why are you selling the skidder?

logman81

coxy

logman81 that pile of block wood in the first pic would not be on my landing the next day it would be in some body s wood shed around here  i cut some ends off logs one morning went to get another hitch came out they were gone  if people would ask for them I would give them away  less I have to clean when done   just ask and they are yours     nice logs by the way  ;D

logman81

Yeah those blocks get split for firewood, I don't give them away I get good  $ selling them .

jwilly3879

On a hardwood job we cut years ago there was a pile of trims from the butts, a pile of pulp and a pile of logs, the firewood thieves backed up and cut several pickup loads not out of the pulp but from the log pile. Too lazy to cut the whole log so they took about 4' off the end of the whole pile. Left us with about forty 6' veneer logs. About two weeks later I drove up to check on things and saw the cable was down so I walked up, locked the cable across the road, and went up to see what was going on and there they were, not locals but second home owners from out of state in a new truck that probably cost more than my house. They said their friend told them the wood was free. I didn't get in a confrontation but started the skidder, drove it out into the road by the cable and left to call the police. Came back a couple of hours later and they were hot, ran out of beer, had a truck load of wood and got a DWI and a ticket to appear in court for stealing the wood. Hindsight being 20-20 I should have dragged out a hitch for them right over the new truck. It would have been more satisfying.

logman81

nedly05

I bet that was a nice payday, good looking logs. Did you take any pics of the truck, is it a mack? Gotta love them Macks!!!

logman81

Yes it was a very good payday, with plenty more to cut. Yes the truck is a Mack.

logman81

So something new happened this past Wednesday, got a call from the log buyer of the mill I sold these nice logs to almost begging me for more logs! I had to tell him that I didn't have any more cut yet do to my saw going belly up this past week. So I went done and bought a new stihl 660. Seems to me that is the first time a mill has called me wanting logs . Guess it's a sign that things are getting better. Can't wait to try out the new saw!

Mark K

I dont get as many phone calls as business cards left on my skidder seat or under the wiper of my truck. Seems like things are getting better, alot more fly by night guys are coming out of the woodwork lately. Really urkes me, they usually run no insurance and undercut the good loggers out there. Then when things get bad they disappear. Im on my own sale for the winter, I feed the wood to the mill that I contract for. They send me a wish list email every other day for species, length and grade. Cherry is back on the high priority list.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

logman81

I does seem to be getting better, I know what you mean about the wanna be loggers they disappear as quickly as they appear thankfully.

logman81

A few more pics to enjoy, ground started to get a little soft, for the last couple of days it's been in the fifty's !

Dave Shepard

Thanks for sharing, logman81. I like to see the wood hitting the landing. Myrtle is getting delivered to my little job this week.

Myrtle (not my name for it  ;) ):

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logman81

You welcome Dave, ya I like it when wood starts piling up on the landing. By the way that is a awesome little grapple skidder, looking forward to seeing some action shots!

CX3

Are you slashing those tops with a chainsaw? Sometimes if my landowner wants I cut them to 3' slash.  Its a lot of extra work buy sure looks good!

Also your skid roads look good.  I like to leave the leaves on the ground if at all possible.  It makes for way less water bars to build in the end. 

Do you smooth up the log landing when done?  Sometimes they can be a disaster in wet times.  I usually throw a little wheat down on them when Im done.  The landowners love the little food plots you leave for them lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!