iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installing a 750 Edge HD Titanium

Started by 747mopar, March 12, 2018, 10:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

747mopar

After building a new garage (2 stories @ 32X34 plus a 24X24 attached parking garage) I started looking into heating. Wanting to maintain at least 50 degrees in the garage with the ability to warm it up on the weekends proved to be expensive making a Boiler seam like the best option. Plan is to heat our hot water then install a heat exchanger in the propane furnace for the house, for the garage I purchased a used Bryant 100K propane furnace so central air can also be added and also have back up heat as well.

I do however have a question, we have a large living room built on slab (24X27) with a 20ft vaulted ceiling and lots of glass. This is the hardest area to heat because of size, windows and distance from the furnace. I've been looking into radiant heat where I would add a thermal barrier, install pex then apply concrete of some sort over top but this means coughing up 2" of floor. The additional 2" wouldn't be much trouble accept I'd loose a lot of my hearth around my fireplace. Has anyone used one of these radiators with the built in fans? Looking for options but really lean towards the radiant floor.

E Yoder

Radiant will feel nice (warm floors are awesome) but you'll want curtains over the windows at night. Radiant goes right through glass and into space.
Some pictures would be great. Kickspace heaters can be mounted in a stud bay in a wall. Feed with 1/2" pex. I've put small homemade fan/coil combo's in a bookcase cabinet and blown out across the floor. Very compact with a lot of btu's.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

E Yoder

This one was heating a room almost identical to what you described.  Probably 24x30', on a slab, gas logs provided the only existing heat.
This used a 470 CFM blower in a cabinet against the main house wall, 12x12 coil. 3/4" lines. Blew the air out through the kickspace. Heated great all last winter through some really cold weather.
I'm sure there are lots of ideas and I'd love to hear more.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

747mopar

Quote from: E Yoder on March 12, 2018, 07:56:35 PM
Radiant will feel nice (warm floors are awesome) but you'll want curtains over the windows at night. Radiant goes right through glass and into space.
Some pictures would be great. Kickspace heaters can be mounted in a stud bay in a wall. Feed with 1/2" pex. I've put small homemade fan/coil combo's in a bookcase cabinet and blown out across the floor. Very compact with a lot of btu's.
Still trying to figure out how to post pictures? Curtains huh, might have to look into that

E Yoder

Yes, I must be missing something obvious. Attachments don't allow jpg?
Don't mean to ramble on. Not saying you'd lose all the heat without curtains, but it makes a difference.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Jeff

Please read the rules on poisting photos and refer to the instructions posted on how to do so.  Phtos MUST be in jpg format and placed in a forestry forum gallery. Convertingthem to somethign else and using the document uploader is not allowed.
Updated Photo Posting Tutorial in Technical Support Topics
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

overclocking

I have a similar living room as yours, its an A-frame with about 25ft ceiling and 6 huge windows and 3 large french doors. I have radiant heat and it works excellent. Mine is 1/2 pex in 250ft loops under my sub floor. Even going through my subfloor and into my hardwood, plus its not even insulated under it, it still heats the room to any temp I need it. You cant beat radiant flooring.

E Yoder

Quote from: Jeff on March 13, 2018, 08:31:38 PM
Please read the rules on poisting photos and refer to the instructions posted on how to do so.  Phtos MUST be in jpg format and placed in a forestry forum gallery. Convertingthem to somethign else and using the document uploader is not allowed.
Updated Photo Posting Tutorial in Technical Support Topics
My apologies for not posting properly. It works on my computer but the mobile site doesn't show the link to post pictures on my phone using firefox.
Thanks.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Jeff

Quote from: E Yoder on March 14, 2018, 08:23:48 AMMy apologies for not posting properly. It works on my computer but the mobile site doesn't show the link to post pictures on my phone using firefox. Thanks.

Use the full site on mobile. It is responsive and easy to use. Link at the bottom of the pages to switch.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

747mopar

Quote from: Jeff on March 14, 2018, 10:29:00 AM
Quote from: E Yoder on March 14, 2018, 08:23:48 AMMy apologies for not posting properly. It works on my computer but the mobile site doesn't show the link to post pictures on my phone using firefox. Thanks.

Use the full site on mobile. It is responsive and easy to use. Link at the bottom of the pages to switch.

I'm not seeing it at the bottom of the page?

thecfarm

747mopar,I think that full site mobile is way at the bottom. And I do mean way. Mobile WAP2 is want you need. One line above Page created. Just scroll all the way to the bottom.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

747mopar

Well it's in service now and heating the house wonderfully, pretty happy so far. Really didn't find any of it difficult or hard to do, even the water treatment came out right on the money on the first try. I do wish I had everything to hook up the garage right now though,  just heating the house really has this boiler choked down. 

Thank You Sponsors!