iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

River Table Build

Started by boonesyard, June 26, 2020, 03:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

It looks awesome!  I should be putting finish on my son's desk today.
Is that table gonna live outside?  I hope not.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

boonesyard

The plan was to live outside, that's one of the things that made this build such a challenge. There's not a lot of product that works well with everything involved and the exterior. Finishing that thing was a bearcat. The customer told me he couldn't stand it outside, so after 3 days, they moved it inside. Glad they changed their minds.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

dollar

Amazing table. 
Has anyone made a river table using a blue color like this but in a void that is not through and through?
My table is rainbow poplar with the pith partially rotted out. 
The rot does not go all the way through the slab leaving about 5" wide by 3/4" deep channel that is black in color. 
I am wondering if I use epoxy tinted blue if the "river " will be blue or will it take on the color of the black rot. 
Thanks for any help. 

farmfromkansas

Saw a table once where the center of the wood was rotted out, and the guy did not disturb the rot, just coated it with clear epoxy, and you could see down into the rotted area, and it was just so cool. He finished it with clear gloss.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

kelLOGg

Never made one but I like them, especially yours.

Very basic question: Does the epoxy bind the halves together by itself or is there cross bracing underneath?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DR_Buck

Great job on the table.  It looks fabulous.      I will most likely never build one of those as I have a VERY difficult time getting past the $100+ per gallon for the epoxy.   :o     I have 2 gallons in the shop that was a Christmas gift from my son.  It will be used to fill some "character" holes in a few Elm planks I'm using to make open shelves for in our kitchen.   River tables are not on my bucket list.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

metalspinner

Beautiful work! That's a big job!

I have yet to make an epoxy table. Plenty of big, live edge tables. Most of my questions have been asked by others and thank you for answering them. 

But I have two more of you don't mind...
How much more time was involved dealing with the epoxy part over building with just the slabs? My guess??? 200 - 300% more.  :D

And did you enjoy that aspect of process as much as the woodworking part?

Oh, and one more.... are you worried about the wood movement interacting with the epoxy? 
I see some tables completely encapsulated with epoxy. Did you use a traditional finish on the faces or an epoxy finish?

Beautiful work!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Wonder how much epoxy $$ this one took ??  :o

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boonesyard

Hey all, thanks for the compliments. I'll try to answer questions in order:

dollar - to answer question using blue color if the void doesn't run through it. It all depends upon how much blue pigment you put in the epoxy. Less of the black rot color will show through if you use more pigment in your mix.

kellog - the epoxy, done correctly, bonds the 2 halves together. 

DR Buck - Yea, epoxy is CRAZY expensive, I won't buy it until I contract the project. 

metalspinner - it is a big job, huge. There are different facets of building with epoxy. If it's not a full blown epoxy river sort of thing, most of our clients want the character, but a smooth top which requires all bug holes, cracks or imperfections filled (with epoxy) before finishing. The large deep pours are expensive and the molds and sealing of the molds are very important, takes time for everything. The real time eater is filling all of the small imperfections and the sanding, this can take days. If you don't have to do any epoxy work, it would save at least 300%. We did enjoy the work, but there is more stress involved than just woodworking. Wood can move a bit during an epoxy pour, that's why you leave enough bulk to re-flatten the project afterwards. We used 2 coats of Rubio Monocoat to finish this project. As a bit of a sidebar, and the "need to know what you're working with" type of thing. Recently, a guy I know of took on a huge epoxy bar project for a paying customer. The project required $4,500 of clear epoxy  :o. The project required empty rifle brass imbedded in the epoxy. The owner thought he would throw in a few live rounds, it would look cool right? After the epoxy was poured over the top, a thick epoxy pour generates a lot of heat and yup, you guessed it, 2 of the live round went off. The internal explosion shattered that portion of the bar top, you could even see the powder burns, but it did not come apart. The owner really liked the look of it so they just poured another smooth finish coat over the top of the whole project and called it good. Know what you're getting in to with large epoxy pours. That one could have ended bad.      
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

alan gage

Holy cow! I assumed those large pours were either with a really slow set epoxy that better controlled the exothermic reaction or were done in smaller batches....but I guess not.

I've melted plenty of plastic cups with the leftovers set aside after wetting out cloth. I'll try and remember to refrain from dropping live ammo into them.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

LongLogSmith

Never would have occurred to me that it could set off live rounds. Just built a 4" thick 8x42 table with some epoxy and thought of doing the live round thing; a friend just did set some in his smaller build, without anything going off. I assume that must be about the thickness/scale? Good to know..

doc henderson

if you pour the wrong type too thick, it will boil, steam and bubble and turn black.  If you want an ammo theme,  I would use a spent casing and put a bullet in the end.  (not a live round)  besides ammo is too expensive.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Magicman on April 19, 2021, 02:17:16 PM
Wonder how much epoxy $$ this one took ??  :o

If i'm not mistaken, that one is a piece of glass cut to fit a rabbet that was made on the edge.  A woodworker friend of mine did that for a table.  Custom cutting the glass wasn't easy or cheap.  May have been cheaper to use resin.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

OK, I can see it now.  Glass on top and open on the ends.  A customer sent me the picture saying that it was an example of what he wanted to do.  No epoxy.  Not simple but very nice.

Thanks firefighter for the explanation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boonesyard

A couple pics of the event  :o

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

firefighter ontheside

We have ammo detonating at house fires all the time, but its not too dangerous unless its in the chamber of a gun.  That had the possibility of being dangerous since the round was trapped inside the resin.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!