iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Types of crown

Started by Cruiser_79, October 07, 2020, 02:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser_79

Morning, 

I want to purchase some new blades for my mill. I got 30 blades when I bought the mill, but want a different type with a smaller pitch and a less rake angle. The manufacturer needs the type of crown and the height of the crown. I thought the crown of most mills should be in the middle, but the driven wheel has the highest point on the backside. Is my wheel just worn out or are there more mills with the crown on the backside of the blade? The height of the gap on this picture is only 0.25 mm, (0.0098 '' )

kelLOGg

I don't know how much crown I have but it is about 1/3 of the wheel width from the leading edge. So, it is closer to the front.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tacks Y

My mill calls for .010" crown. So an ruler across the top and .010 on each side. If you moved your scale would the crown show better on each side? That being said, my wheel is only 1" wide. Are you about 4" wide? So you need to talk to someone smarter than me.

Cruiser_79

My wheel is 90 mm wide, approx 3,5". It really looks like it is a kind of tapered instead of crowned. Tried to call the importer but couldn't get them on the phone. I don't have any documentation of the mill unfortunately...

Cruiser_79

I continued with my wheels like this, but found a company that can remachine stuff to 8 ft diameter. The manufacturer says the crown is in the middle of the wheel, should have a height of 0.13 mm (0.005'')  and equally drops to 0 at the edges. That was all they know, probably they purchase there wheels at some local company over there, they couldn't give me more details
I determined a radius of this in Autocad, and found out that a radius of 7800 mm should fit. 
My question;

does someone have experience with remachining wheels, and is the radius I found out the right way to look at this? 

In below picture I exaggerated the height of the crown 10 times. 

Thank You Sponsors!