iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter Firewood

Started by Corley5, January 04, 2021, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Aspen coals. But as doc says the coals burn up quick to grey ash, no charcoal at all. Still, nice to heat the house. But I wouldn't put it in a fireplace, too much sparks before it's coals.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Building up a fire on a minimum of maple coals. That wood for them coals was loaded 12 hours before. Of course something has to be said about coals. Once they burn down to a certain stage, your not getting much heat even if you have coals for 16 hrs. Sure the side of the stove is warm, but you won't boil water. ;D

Quick furnace fire with minimal coals in my Napolean model 150 wood fired furnace - YouTube

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

I love that picture of the aspen coals. Makes me feel warm.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Corley5

Took delivery of another 10 cord of red oak last week.  Sean was finished with the job and didn't want to haul it to his yard just to reload it again in the future.  I gave it a home.  Everyone's happy :) 8)  Some of it's a bit more rugged than I'd prefer but I've ran much uglier wood than this ;D :)  It'll make nice short pieces ;) :)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

cutterboy

Corley, will you saw some of those logs into lumber or will it all go for firewood?

Corley5

mike_belben

Probably too short for ties huh?
Praise The Lord

Corley5

moodnacreek

There are always exceptions like fruit woods but this is the best firewood:  Must have mostly enclosed wood shed.  Next cut and split live hickory. Stack in shed 2 years.  Be careful, this wood can burn a hole in the side of your stove with too much draft.

Corley5

Couple train loads I picked up the last couple weeks.  One was half bug ash and half red oak.  The other load was half dry beech, sugar maple, and bug ash.  The other half green beech and sugar maple.  That'll get us by a while.  Mark has a job on our class A road that's going to open up the next few days.  He asked me about taking a 100 cords.  The hauls are short and he'll give me deal  8) 8) 8)

cutterboy

Corley, that is a lot of wood. Will that be sold next winter or do you still have orders coming in now?

Al_Smith

Quote from: Corley5 on January 10, 2021, 08:38:03 AM
  Didn't even get a good start and the Bobcat's fan belt broke.  Off to Car Quest for a new one.  They matched one up to the old one which was broken clean and 39" long.  Came home with a 38.5" one too.  Just in case.  Nothing's ever simple especially with a Bobcat.  
Try an old Cj5 jeep or an Oliver crawler some time .As such I have a number of perfectly good new V belts that don't fit on anything . :D

uplander

Yesterday i put up a cord of smooth bark hickory. Love that stuff in the furnace.
The temperature got up around 65 degrees and by afternoon the pile was covered in hundreds of honey bees. Nothing blooming here yet.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Corley5

It'll start going out of the yard after sugar season and the frost laws go off.  They both happen about the same time :) ;D  This wood is just a start.  I moved almost 1,500 face cords/500 standard cords of processed firewood in 2020. 

uplander

Quote from: Corley5 on March 04, 2021, 10:44:20 AM
 It'll start going out of the yard after sugar season and the frost laws go off.  They both happen about the same time :) ;D  This wood is just a start.  I moved almost 1,500 face cords/500 standard cords of processed firewood in 2020.
Nice! And i have seen your photos of your setup!
We are just burning and cutting for personal consumption. About 3-4
cord a year. I'm mechanized but just a tractor and 25 year old splitter.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

brianJ

Quote from: uplander on March 04, 2021, 09:27:29 AM
Yesterday i put up a cord of smooth bark hickory. Love that stuff in the furnace.
The temperature got up around 65 degrees and by afternoon the pile was covered in hundreds of honey bees. Nothing blooming here yet.
The borer has gotten to this area.   Nealy all the ash died over this past summer.   Going to be 90% plus ash in the pile for the next few years.    The convenient part is it is all accessible from the edge of the fields.    I have myself a bigger pile here in early March than Ive had in about forever.

Al_Smith

Most of the EAB killed ash will stand 5-6 years before the roots give away then over they go .If the dead fall doesn't lay real long it takes weather relatively well .Standing dead hickory might make it that long until the wind gets it .Hickory puts off the heat but really blows sparks doing so if the draft from the stove hits it with the door open .Hickory in wet ground contact doesn't fair well neither does maple .Nothing will coal up like oak except osage orange but that's rather rare in these parts .
As for firewood the cold of winter is about over .Due to the fact it's warming up I might hit it a lick before the spring monsoons get here I don't like cold weather but prefer that to mud .Believe me Ohio can get mud like Louisiana .I've stuck nearly everything that can get stuck including bull dozers .

SwampDonkey

Soil here on this place is so full of gravel and stones, the mud is gone as soon as the snow is gone. 8) But you hit some ground with a lot of clay in it, it will be mud until June. We work on some land that one forestry company doesn't waste much money on road building. Bulldozed ditches is a better term. You can't make road from garden soil unless you're in the desert. ;D Then there are other mills that make roads for year 'round travel, hard as a rock year around. :)

I will be pretty much set for firewood for next winter here, I might have to cut 2 cords.

Been cold here last couple days, talking 40's next week. The sap will be a flowing. ;)

SwampDonkey

Was poking around the loaded firewood with a poker that was a gift for my parents for their gas fireplace. And of course, it turns out they are just for looks. Catastrophic failure!! Broke in 2 parts. :D Well, you can guess the origins of this thing. It's not marked, but obvious. It definitely ain't brass handle either. ;)

Well, ordered up a new Enviro brand poker out of Ontario, shipping and tax is about 3 times the price of course. :D But at least they don't hide it like Amazon does (free shipping :D ), plus 5 bucks cheaper over all for the same tool. ;)

Keep warm out there. ;D

Al_Smith

Don't throw it away .Unless it's made out of aluminum it could probably be brazed back together .It's a poker doesn't have to be pretty .

SwampDonkey

Oh, it's definitely going in the trash. :D

mike_belben

Rebar and conduit work fine for me.  
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

I've got an old iron one down in the shop by the old stove. I bet it's been around 60 years and very simple. Probably made local.

Tacotodd

I'm just using an old but broken shovel handle. You just have to be aware of any spark on it. 💰 and all.
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!