iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitter opinoins

Started by trapper, February 06, 2021, 05:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I have decided I would like a splitter with log lift and 4 way wedge.  So far I like the wolf ridge splitter and it is made a couple hundred miles from me which is driving distance. I sell a couple cords of wood a year and would like a new toy to make it easier. I now have a 37 ton horizontal - vertical  splitter. The wolf ridge has a pan beyond the wedge that i think I could put the bucket of the tractor  under to catch the split wood. Opinions on this and others like it are welcome.  Not handy at frabicating anything myself.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chipmeister

Have you taken a look at the Ruggedmade 37 ton? Comes with a log lift and 4 way wedge and a nice log table. I'm going to pull the trigger on one very soon. Much lower price point. Only down side is "some assembly" is required. 

trapper

china engine and not as refinded in my opinion.  things like hydraulic 4 way wedge. and larger hydraulic tank.  but thanks for sujestion If I could look at one in person it might change my mind.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chipmeister

I agree with both your points, and if that is important to you and you have that money to spend on it, go for it. 

I would like to see one in person too, but can't locate one close to me. I asked them for references and they said they couldn't give out that information. (good that they value privacy). I watched a lot of videos on line and really haven't heard negatives other than the assembly concerns (not a big deal to me). There are a couple guys on line who modified it for a hydraulic wedge. 

barbender

Wolfe Ridge, and Brute Force makes some nice splitters in Wisconsin as well. Eastonmade makes fine machines as well. In my opinion, if you want a tool spend the extra money and skip the Chinese crap. 
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

The only higher end factory made wood splitter I have been around was a TimberWolf TW5 or TW 6. A buddy of mine and myself went over to Iowa a few years ago to help work up some wood for a friend that was laid up. We ran his timberwolf for three days probably ten hours a day and by the end of three days I couldn't stand up straight. My back was done. The splitter was great log lift, four way but the working height was too low for us. Both of us are around six foot. I wish I would have hauled my homemade one with the log lift over there. If that said I would go ran a Wolf Ridge and make sure the working is were you want it and if it isn't have it built so it is. Enjoy the new tool {TOY}.  

Bruno of NH

Stay away from Rugged made
Friend bought one told him not to.
Look at Woodmizer and Woody's equipment as well.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

For comfortable working height with a log lift I'm real happy with my Timberdevil. Foot actuated splitting ram very well built. Timberdevil has been at it since the late 70's.
 In a hurry, forget it ,they are backed up 3 months.

This is what I bought in 2017

I converted it to self propelled this fall.Splitting wood is almost fun now.This is my 3rd and last splitter.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chipmeister

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 07, 2021, 12:53:40 PM
Stay away from Rugged made
Friend bought one told him not to.
Look at Woodmizer and Woody's equipment as well.
Can you add some meat to those bones? Did he have issues or was this your opinion that you gave to him (and now me), and if so, what is the basis?

Bruno of NH

A bunch of the parts didn't fit right. He had a tough time getting the valve bank put together and when he did it had bad parts. Had to wait for replacements and do it all again.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I would put my money on any of the others mentioned. 
Just my opinion. 

gspren

I own 2 splitters, both home made, a 3 point hitch splitter that I use occasionally and a big horizontal that needs a pump and motor but when I have a bunch to split I borrow the neighbors Iron & Oak splitter that seems well made. The reason I don't buy one or fix what I have is that the neighbors splitter comes with a powerful teenage boy that I let hunt in my woods. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mike_belben

the beauty of community based free trade at work.  A tax free win win
Praise The Lord

trapper

Looking at diferent splitters on line the wolfe ridge and brute force basic models are basicly similar.  Only difference between them is wolfe ridge 4 way is hydraulic and brute force is manualy adjustable. how important to have 4way hydraulic adjustable? 

doc henderson

I think it depends on how often you will make the adjustment.  if 90% can be done in one position, fine, if each log needs an adjustment then hydraulic.  it would depend on the price difference as well.  I made an 8 way that slips over the face of mine, and I almost never use it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

On my processor that has an adjustable wedge, if there is wood in it, it only goes one way- up. It can't go down because wood is wedged underneath it. So I have learned to sort my wood by size so I don't need to adjust it. Still, when it is time to move it it's nice to hit a lever instead of finding a wrench to loosen a bolt to manually adjust the wedge. BTW, I think the Brute Force entry level model is more comparable to the Eastonmade Ultra- they are set up with a smaller cylinder and still have a larger engine/pump for fast cycle times.

Corley5

If I was spending $$$ on a splitter the hydraulic wedge adjustment would be important to me.  The wood I process varies greatly in diameter.  I'm constantly adjusting the wedge height on my processor. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

hedgerow

Quote from: trapper on February 08, 2021, 11:33:12 AM
Looking at diferent splitters on line the wolfe ridge and brute force basic models are basicly similar.  Only difference between them is wolfe ridge 4 way is hydraulic and brute force is manualy adjustable. how important to have 4way hydraulic adjustable?
If you are going to spend the money to have a nice splitter. Spent a little more and get the hyd adjustable wedge. You won't be sorry you got the hyd wedge. 

trapper

barbender brute force has an option for a 4 1/2 in cylinder.  Planing on a road trip to look at both in person if the weather moderates next week.

barbender

For what I do, I'd want the speed of the smaller cylinder. Too many people go with a splitter that will split the biggest ugliest hardwood crotch they can find, when those are such a small part of what you'll probably end up splitting. Half the time they're not worth the fight anyhow. Watch the videos on the Eastonmade Ultra, they split some stuff that is ugly enough, and I believe they use a 3.5" cylinder.

stavebuyer

I really like the Eastonmade Ultra. If Andrew could incorporate a log lift he probably couldn't keep up with orders. He has done much in a short time advancing splitters. I hope his taking on the Bells processors doesn't cause him to loose interest in splitters. 

hedgerow

Quote from: barbender on February 08, 2021, 04:18:32 PM
For what I do, I'd want the speed of the smaller cylinder. Too many people go with a splitter that will split the biggest ugliest hardwood crotch they can find, when those are such a small part of what you'll probably end up splitting. Half the time they're not worth the fight anyhow. Watch the videos on the Eastonmade Ultra, they split some stuff that is ugly enough, and I believe they use a 3.5" cylinder.
I couldn't agreed with this more. I split most of the 15 cord of hedge and locust that I burn a year with a homemade splitter with a four inch cylinder and a 28 GPM two stage pump. I like the speed over the strength of a five or six inch cylinder. 

jmur1

Hi trapper:

I have not used any of those heavy build splitter units but I can say from my own processor the multiwedge adjustability is absolutely necessary for my logs.   I have noted that the Eastonmade units have several things that I would include with my splitter (when I make a new one).  

1. Adjustable wedge.
2. Log chunk sits above beam (raised bed) so that adjustable down is possible without clearing previous splits.
3. 1st wedge angled upward so not to drive the chunk down into beam and therefore driving wedge up.
4. Chunk centering so hands can stay clear of operation if desired.
5. Heavy build for real world use.
6. Heavy hydraulic wedge - I have seen alot of damage to these parts and can only imagine how quick some of the lighter units would be ripped apart.

Good luck
jmur1

Easy does it

Corley5

My processor has a 4" cylinder.  Seldom do I come across pieces that can't be split :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

trapper

Good point barbender but no need for speed at my age.  But then again I help a lady split wood that sells campfire wood.  Her deceased husband made a splitter using a vw engine and a 6 or 7 inch cylinder.  He used a single stage pump.  It has about twice the cycle time as my 37 ton box store splitter that has 5 or 6 hp engine.  Times I have to be careful not to stall the engine on her machine.   

Thank You Sponsors!