iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitter opinoins

Started by trapper, February 06, 2021, 05:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Timberwolf TW-5 here, log lift and adjustable 4 way wedge. It's old enough it has the auto-cycle also.

Very pleased with it, been a trouble free machine.

Ed

gasman1075

I agree I had the same luck with all my Timberwolf splitters.

Just a TW1 for now and the immediate future. 
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

barbender

There are a lot rumblings and complaints about the new ownership at TW. I haven't really heard from any Bruteforce owners, I've seen nary a complaint from Wolfe Ridge and Eastonmade customers. 
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

Andrew says he has some new things on the horizon for splitters and the extra room at the Bells location will help him cut down on lead times.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

woodworker9

Here's my Wolf Ridge 35 high output.  I upgraded to the auto cycle, electric start Honda, and 6 way wedge.  Comes with the 4 way, so I have both.  Hydraulic log lift and wedge up/down are game changers, and so is the 8 second cycle time.  5" cylinder, 4" heavy duty ram.  The return stroke is super fast, and if I stage my logs, or have a helper (which I do), I can split 3 cords an hour.

This is a true 35 ton machine.  I split a lot of HUGE nasty tree service wood, and this thing is incredible.  Nothing it can't split.

The other half of the log lift is in the "Stow" position for towing.  Awesome machine.  I split 31 cords of firewood in January this year alone.  Very happy with it.  Well worth the money.

I'd also recommend staying away from the chinese Rugged Made machines, if you want to actually work it hard.  A friend bought one, against my warnings, and is having all kinds of trouble with it.  There's a reason it's so cheap, and that's because every component on it is as cheapo as you can get.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

mike_belben

i spy a milwaukee milling machine.  8)
Praise The Lord

Chipmeister

Quote from: woodworker9 on February 09, 2021, 11:46:46 PM
I'd also recommend staying away from the chinese Rugged Made machines, if you want to actually work it hard.  A friend bought one, against my warnings, and is having all kinds of trouble with it.  There's a reason it's so cheap, and that's because every component on it is as cheapo as you can get.
Can you please give details about the "all kinds of trouble" your friend is having? 

There is a huge price difference between your 35 which is probably about $17,000 (with lift, adjustable wedge and 6 way) and the ruggedmade which is $4,000 (delivered). My demand is very different. My annual splitting will be about 15 cords per years vs your 30 cords per month or whatever it averages.  

I am 100% on board with Buying American, and do whenever it's possible given all factors. I'm looking at USA made steel toed boots right now. I can find those. However, when any of us need or want to buy a new TV, that is going to be a tough job!

woodworker9

Quote from: mike_belben on February 10, 2021, 11:35:18 AM
i spy a milwaukee milling machine.  8)
Kearney and Trecker Model 2K, universal horizontal with the 5:3 ratio high speed universal head.  It's a dandy.  They don't make em' like that anymore.

woodworker9

Chipmeister

My 35 HO was $10,500, and I got a discount for paying cash cash.  I don't know if there have been price increases (probably should since he's 6 months out on orders), but the price list is posted on the website.

I am not gonna spend any time discussing a chinese made machine.  He's getting rid of his, as he's sick and tired of it not functioning correctly. Probably gonna lose $1500 or so selling it. I won't help him fix it, as I warned him not to buy it in the first place.  I do a LOT of machining and repair work in my shop, and I don't work on chinese machines.  Buy quality, and cry once.  

I know he tried using it like a commercial machine should be used.....all day long, and he got the hydraulic fluid wayyyyyy too hot because they designed it poorly with that 12 gallon rated hydraulic reservoir, which really is going to hold only 9 to 10 gallons.  The heat probably damaged the seals on his components....don't know for sure, but that's what his problems stem from.  chinese junk.....

mike_belben

Quote from: woodworker9 on February 10, 2021, 11:17:45 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on February 10, 2021, 11:35:18 AM
i spy a milwaukee milling machine.  8)
Kearney and Trecker Model 2K, universal horizontal with the 5:3 ratio high speed universal head.  It's a dandy.  They don't make em' like that anymore.
i had to look that name up.. now i realize that the machine i recall wasn't a milwaukee brand, it was a Kearney and Trecker "milwaukee" model.   interesting past time the industrial revolution was.  definitely defined much of the northeast. 
Praise The Lord

Arctiva

I use a 30" warrior on the bobcat. Paid 2k for splitter I sit in the cab and push a button. I can stack and split at the same time. I tried a 4 way wedge but was like campfire wood and alot of waste so stuck with the single wedge.

At 44 years old I'm trying to work smarter and dont want all the extra handling of the wood. Alot of the wood I handle is 24"+ around so made sense to get bobcat splitter since I had a bobcat already 

cutterboy

Quote from: Arctiva on February 11, 2021, 12:01:37 PM

At 44 years old I'm trying to work smarter 
OMG Arctiva, you are so old!  :D :D  I wish I could throw wood around now like I could when I was 44. :-\
But seriously Arctiva, you are smart to take care of your back now because you'll still want to use it when you're 72.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

trapper

Wife and I drove up to look at the wolfe ridge splitters in person.  Put a deposit on a 28 pro.  looks great now to wait until the end of june for it.  The desk chris uses is made from a big slab.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

hedgerow

Quote from: trapper on February 17, 2021, 09:06:25 PM
Wife and I drove up to look at the wolfe ridge splitters in person.  Put a deposit on a 28 pro.  looks great now to wait until the end of june for it.  The desk chris uses is made from a big slab.
I think you will like your new {TOY} tool. It will give you something to look forward to and get your mine on this weather. June will be here before you know it. 

trapper

Wish  i had the new splitter with log lift tree trimmer left a load of honey locust with some butt peices over 30 inches across.  Cut them down some with chainsaw but still heavy to resplit.  Also some black walnut butt cuts that big.  Any black walnut over 4 foot long I will make into lumber.  New splitter should be here by end of june.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Spike60

Have you been in contact with them since your trip in Feb? Curious if they are able to hold to their build schedual and quoted prices with all of the material shortages and price increases most manufacturers are dealing with. Hope yours is both on time and on budget! :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

trapper

They are honoring the quote on orders before before the price increase.  Looking at the serial numbers they post the timeing looks about right.  They added on a weekend shift also.  I later ordered a 30 inch stroke instead of 24 and it was added at the regular price and no change in my place in line.

John Mc

Quote from: trapper on June 01, 2021, 11:19:33 AM
Wish  i had the new splitter with log lift tree trimmer left a load of honey locust with some butt peices over 30 inches across.  Cut them down some with chainsaw but still heavy to resplit.  Also some black walnut butt cuts that big.  Any black walnut over 4 foot long I will make into lumber.  New splitter should be here by end of june.
Even with a hydraulic lift, when I get that big, I don't even bother with it. If I had a real shortage of firewood, I might feel differently, but as it is, it's just not worth the hassle of dealing with.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

trapper

I have a lot of wood but most is dead ash and elm.  I dont cut my oak because I dont have many and want to leave them for seed.  Have quite a few hickory but prefer to leave them grow so the locust is the best i have available free. I also burn a lot of slabs in owb so some real good wood is handy to have.

trapper

sold my speeco splitter today.  Guy came to look at the splitter my fil made at least 50 years ago.  Still works good has an almost new engine .  Advertised it for $500.  Told him the speeco was for sale also but hadnt advertised it yet for $1000.  He bought it.  My new wolfe ridge should be ready in about a week  May be ready for the doings they are having this coming saturday.  They are calling it the firewood frenzy.  Guess I will have a week to catch up on sawing some lumber.

Arctiva

Quote from: cutterboy on February 12, 2021, 07:01:49 AM
Quote from: Arctiva on February 11, 2021, 12:01:37 PM

At 44 years old I'm trying to work smarter
OMG Arctiva, you are so old!  :D :D  I wish I could throw wood around now like I could when I was 44. :-\
But seriously Arctiva, you are smart to take care of your back now because you'll still want to use it when you're 72.
The struggle is real, few years ago my right arm was so sore from lifting and throwing wood I had to wear a brace for about 10 months before the tennis elbow went away. That's when I got a wood splitter for the bobcat. I couldn't even hold a coffee cup without the brace. Back is plenty strong, tennis elbow is no joke though

John Mc

Quote from: Arctiva on July 12, 2021, 06:33:11 PM
The struggle is real, few years ago my right arm was so sore from lifting and throwing wood I had to wear a brace for about 10 months before the tennis elbow went away. That's when I got a wood splitter for the bobcat. I couldn't even hold a coffee cup without the brace. Back is plenty strong, tennis elbow is no joke though
I've had that problem myself. Let me guess: you were picking up the split chunks by their ends and tossing them back-handed on to the pile?
When I caused myself a bout of that, my Physical Therapist wife told me that that is one of the worst possible motions: wrist cocked back at an awkward angle and throwing backhand. They don't even have to be heavy, enough repetition can cause a problem - especially if you do what I did: don't do any of that kind of work for months, then try to split up your entire year's supply of wood in a weekend. I might have been OK if I had worked up to it (though she says "probably not - you need to face the fact that you can;t bounce back from these sorts of things as you get older")
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

btulloh

A good hookaroon can help a bunch. No bending or grabbing to pick up splits off the ground.  I bought a Logrite hookaroon a few years ago and wouldn't do firewood without it now.
HM126

trapper

I use a pulp hook.  Also brought my new wolf ridge splitter home today.

mike_belben

I have told myself no more firewood until machines and conveyors run it from logdeck to dumpbed.  Atleast the motions in fabrication have some variety.

It takes almost nothing for my elbows the get inflamed and refuse to straighten these days.  Fused c2/c3. Degeneration in C4, 5 and 6 is making my arms go numb. 2 torn shoulders.  falling apart already. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!