iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Processor

Started by Corley5, April 08, 2021, 09:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

The rest of the story ;) :D ;D :) :)  This showed up on FB Marketplace as an old sawmill about a week ago.  I thought the live decks would be handy for my Block Buster but it was listed as being in Grayling which is on the edge of where I'd go these days to collect junk  ;) ;D  Finally I couldn't take it anymore and made the contact and found out it was actually between Waters and Frederick about 15 mins south of Gaylord, 40 miles from home :o ;D 8) I went down this afternoon to take a look.  I knew it wasn't a sawmill but maybe a piece of one and thought it was a firewood machine.  Yup, firewood machine.  The guys father had it built and did use it.  The hang up was the conveyor that the blocks dropped into wasn't strong enough and was always breaking.  The conveyor carried the blocks to the left where they had two hydraulic splitters set up to finish the process.  It was really loud too.  They quit using it which IMHO was good because sooner than later someone would have been killed.  I got the whole mess for less than scrap price especially considering steel electric motors are bringing 15 cents a lb 8) 8)  I really only wanted the live decks but...  I have been wanting to go to three phase from IC engines.  This gives me that option with the two motors, hydraulic pumps, and oil reservoir which must be 100 gallons.  Providing they are all good :)  I can also power the bandmill I've got with a hydraulic motor.  Maybe even the one that powers these saws.  Ahhh  The possibilities 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

jmur1

Easy does it

barbender

Sucker😁 It is kinda cool, waiting to see what you accomplish with it. It would be great to have a for real live deck feeding the processor, one man could actually be productive then, instead of having to load the deck every time you start to get something done.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Five of those saws must of been kinda pricey. Maybe he had all that stuff laying around?
Took a few smarts to make all that work. Except for the conveyor part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Quote from: Corley5 on April 08, 2021, 10:53:46 PM

They quit using it which IMHO was good because sooner than later someone would have been killed.  
I agree. That looks very dangerous. Lots of possibilities for blood.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Corley5

I would like to have seen it run.  From a distance of course.  The capability to launch blocks...  I can see how a conveyor would have been hard to keep in operation.  Blocks would have been going into it with force.  It's not there anymore.  No real evidence that it was other than the trench it was in.  It's been probably twenty years since it last ran.  Maybe longer.   
  Before I went to look at it I talked to my buddy who has a gooseneck about hauling this stuff home.  He's up for the adventure.  We'll take the Bobcat down to load with and they've got a Kubota and an older bigger JD both with loaders and forks.  We'll get the decks out of the way first and then look at getting the saw gang out.  Last will be the motors, pumps and tank.  That will require tearing out a wall.  They're going to tear the building down and suggested taking them out through the outside wall.  That may be the best way to get the saws out too.  It'll take an assortment of wrenches, hammers, pry bars, angle grinder, Sawzall, torches, and extra Milwaukee batteries too.
  The machine was set up and they built the building around it.  There's a lot of concrete.  It was a sizable investment for sure.  I don't how much was new and how much was used when it was built.  They were loggers and the son works for Chris Muma now.  
  What I get myself into ;) ;D ;)  Really looking forward to getting a live deck set up with my machine.  Getting on and off the Bobcat every few minutes to load the little live deck on my machine sucks.  I'm thinking I can get rid of the saws as sign blanks.  My buddy has suggested dropping some of the stuff off at A&L in Gaylord for scrap ;D :D

mike_belben

If you were closer id be trying to trade you ammo for buzz saw blades.

My my pupils dilated, nostrils flared.. I sniffed the screen, considered the miles then heard a tiny, weak voice say "its just junk. Look away Michael."
Praise The Lord

Corley5

I'd do blades for ammo ;D :) :)

Corley5

Another expense they had was the 3 phase service to run the thing.

mike_belben

Whats your favorite caliber?  
Praise The Lord

Corley5

308, 223, 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP, 

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Corley5 on April 09, 2021, 07:07:19 PM
308, 223, 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP,
Kinda wish I could like this more than once!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

Its a good thing theres 750 miles in the way of this transaction Corley.  I have cases of all those except 308
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

They're easy to make from -06 family cases.
Trying harder everyday.

Spike60

What a contraption that is. Most time I've spent staring at pictures since I joined the site some years back. Trying to figure out where the brave operators stood to operate that thing. Also wondering how anyone could breath in that building with those 5 saw blades generating sawdust in that enclosed area. Really an amazing machine though. Thanks for sharing all this Corley. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

moodnacreek

I learned a long time ago that if you can think of it, someone has done it. That machine is actually a timber sized trim saw for making shorts. It would or did take alot of power and sharpening. It would be interesting to know when it was put together. Firewood processing works well with one saw as has been proven. It's the splitting that could always be better.              With the price of steel [and scrap] and if you can use those decks that is a deal.

mike_belben

It was a fools errand from the getgo.. Simultaneously trying to cut multiple blocks just multiplies the power and expense.  Like doug said.. Put the money on the splitting side. One good circle saw can flood most splitter sections with wood.  

A for effort but poor design is what really idled that machine.   Cant even jog around a defect.. The blades hit what they hit and toss what they toss.  Im glad itll be properly resurrected. 
Praise The Lord

jmur1

I was going to throw that in:  Mine has 1 circle blade and usually sends a projectile about 1 per hour.  I have a dent in the shop door that was enough motivation to build a full enclosure around the cut area (10 guage).  Now it has some light dents in it.  I may be most of the problem here because I always push the limits of it - too small diameter cuts, crotches, and so on.

I can only imagine how this machine would run for me!.   That being said we should definitely see it run...

jmur1 
Easy does it

Corley5

Had some errands in Gaylord so I went down afterward to get a start on the tear down.  Errands took longer than expected so I only got the wall opened up around the motors and tank, sprayed bolts with penetrating oil, looked things over better in better light and have a plan in mind.  I'm going back tomorrow with the cutting torch ;) ;D 8) We're thinking we'll start hauling stuff home Saturday.  The motors are a 150hp US Electric and a 50hp Lincoln.  I looked about everywhere for a date on something but nothing.  I'm thinking 70s technology?  Maybe?  The fuse box/load center has fuses not breakers, one pump has a Hydreco tag, and the valve body is a Greisen.  I talked to one of the owners.  It was her husband's father who built it.  She said everything was purchased new to build it, they didn't use it much, and went all in into logging.  She was unsure of the build date.  If he's around this weekend I'll see if I can find out more.  I did figure out how it worked.  The saws roll back and forth controlled by two cylinders.  The rack I'm not so sure about.  It has a cylinder to tilt it up to catch the blocks.  I guess.  It was obviously the object of severe abuse and had been repaired more than once.  There were other places where there'd been torch work.  There'll be more torch work.  Otherwise there's very little wear.  It wasn't used much.  It cost some fairly serious $$$ to set it up.

mike_belben

I will reckon it consumed a modest 401k, without replenishing it!
Praise The Lord

jmur1

Thats a serious setup.  Cant imagine the cost today.  Pretty cool!
Easy does it

Corley5

Yesterday we got everything to it's new home except the motors, pumps, and oil tank.  That's for today.  The owner will be home around noon.  He figures the machine was built in the 80s.  A guy in Roscommon built it.  I'm going to ask today if he knows whether it's a one of a kind or if more were made.  It doesn't look as impressive in pieces but much safer.  One spectator asked yesterday as I was torching if I could remember how to put it back together ;) :D :D ;D  I told her it would never be together in that form again :)  Zach has a piece of the frame picked out to make a bumper for his Dakota ;D 8) :)  Unloading was much less complicated with the 544H than the loading process  ;D 8) ;D 8)

OH logger

Do you load your processor deck with a knuckleboom?  I load mine with a bobcat and as much as I'd love to have a long deck for when I'm runnin by myself I don't think it'd help much cause I can only reach so far with the skid loader. Mine is 10' I think on the 22/22 and i can just reach to put a log in the trough. I'm sure a guy could push the logs if the deck would be longer but that can be hard on stuff and get the logs wopper jawed. If I have to get in the processor cab to advance the log deck Soni can fill it up I might as well stay in the cab and process the deck. How do you all with long live decks do it? I'm all ears cause I don't process very often by myself but that's mostly because of the short on and off live deck issue 
john

Corley5

It's all home 😎😎. Quite a project it was.  Have to get plugs and caps to seal things back up.  Pumped 45 gallons of oil from the tank to get it below the pump intakes.  Still close to 40 gallons according to my calculations.  Good oil too.  It'll run in my Block Buster.  The tank is almost 240 gallons.  Going to get a couple quick couplers for the tractor and hook the decks up to the live lines on the tractor.  After oiling the chains and greasing the bearings.

Thank You Sponsors!