iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

computer help?

Started by logmason, February 07, 2006, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logmason

These pdf files throughout this site I can not open. Is it this way for everyone? Why? Can someone explain how to view them? Thank you.

GF

You will need to install the adobe reader, its a free download from http://www.adobe.com.

logmason

I can not get past the "select system". I go to start, programs, accesories, system tools, system information. Many things are listed, all say unknown. If I get a chance I will ask a young person to help me.
Also on this pie shape graph, (hard drive space, I think), it says less than 40 mb free. Is this a problem? Thanks

Ianab

Less than 40mb free IS a problem  :(

Have a look around for some junk you can delete / old programs you can un-install etc.

If you are running windows XP then go to All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disk Cleanup. This utility will delete a lot of the junk files on your PC. If you have Win98 then look in the c:\windows\temp folder and delete the junk there + empty your Temporary Internet Files ( under Tools / Internet Options ) in Internet Explorer + empty the Trashcan folder. This should at least free up enough space for your PC to work again  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bill

Less than 40MB free will definitely gum things up. No room for this no room for that  - I'd expect that your 'puter takes awhile to do most anything while it figures out where to put stuff. Besides deleteing non essentials you may want to consider a supplemental external ( or internal ? ) drive. I have an external just for data only - comes in handy for backups, moving stuff to other pc's - the kids pic's and such, etc, etc.

Good Luck

logmason

I did everything advised and still do not have enough space to get the adobe program. After checking things out best I can tell is this hard drive was replaced with a small one. There is another slot to add another, that may be the thing to do as Bill mentioned. I have another HD here but may not be in the mood today to try it. Thanks for answering my questions. If you know of a site that I can learn more about these things, please share. I have some other simple questions if anyone has the time, PM me as to not bore the rest of you with my lack of computer knowledge. OS is windows 2000. Thanks a lot Bill, Ian, and GF.

beenthere

logmason
Last summer I had to add a hard drive and found one at Wally Mart for a very reasonable price, $50 for 90GB or something rediculous like that. Easy to install, with a few questions on configuration of the slave and master drive settings. The system seems to handle the two drives once the dip switches are configured correctly. You can then probably transfer some of the files from the original drive to archive them on the new drive, and gain a lot of space on the drive that contains your system.
Just a thought.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

When I put my last bigger drive in, the setup gave me the option to transfer my operating system to the new larger drive, which I did, using the original drive for the slave.  When getting a new hard drive, you might consider more memory as well if you have an open slot for it.  Both are reasonably priced.

You can use the analogy of wanting to store balloons.  The Drive is your room, and your memory is the door.   If your room is full of balloons, it don't matter how big the door is, ya cant cram any more in. If you room is empty, but you have a little bitty door, you have to but the balloons in a couple at a time.  If you have a big room with a big door, you can blow all those balloons in at once, and have plenty of room to add more or move balloons around with out bumping into walls or pushing other balloons out of the way. ;D

A computer is nothing more then an electic file cabinet with a built in calculater. Drawers get full of folders and files and its time to clean it out or get another file cabinet.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

DanG that was a good analogy.  smiley_balloon_01 smiley_balloon_01 smiley_balloon_01 ::)
Have a great party der
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!