iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Splitter

Started by brettl, March 30, 2014, 11:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

I cut hedge for my folks every year and I've already cut so much the last month or so that I'm thinking of selling some to off-set gas costs. I know very little about splitters other than the basic operation. What are some good brands to look for? SPeeco and Swisher are two brands I've seen local on cl lately. I see a lot of homemade units on cl. If looking at these, what should I look out for in the hydraulics? This is an area I know nothing about. thank you

If I've posted this on the wrong forum please let me know so I can recommend it deleted and/or moved.

47sawdust

brettl,
I don't know what your budget permits,but I use a Supersplit woodsplitter made in Mass.It is a flywheel type splitter,no hydraulics.It is very fast,almost fun to use.Check them out on youtube and they have a website.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

brettl

Thanks Mick. Right now there is a Swisher 26 ton on cl for 900obo and it looks like new. I don't know much about this brand though other than reviews I've read online. Any input on Swisher out there? Thanks everyone.

BargeMonkey

Central tractor sells a decent splitter, I have 2 of the 38 ton machines and they do ok. You really want one that will either stand up or has a log table. The smaller splitters are pretty simple with usually 1 valve and a 8-13 hp engine. Built-rite and timberwolf both make a good splitter but I dont know what your looking to spend. Iron and oak and american are some other brands to look at. northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sells a real nice splitter with a honda engine and the 4 way wings, that would be what I would buy next time around. You can never have enough power and you only wanna buy it once.

brettl

Thanks guys. You're sure right about never having to much power, I run across some pretty large hedge around here, much of it bigger than 24" around and I've cut some larger than 36". So BargeMonkey, is it NorthernTool you were talking about that this site likes? We have one of those here in town. Thanks for everyones input and keep it coming. ;D :) ;D :)

NS logging

I would lobby for you to get one with a Honda engine; they just  go on forever with little or no maintenance

brettl

I see Northern sells some with the Honda. I'm seeing splitters with 22 to 35 ton ratings and I'm having a tough time deciding what's prudent and what's overkill. I only cut hedge for my folks right now but I cut enough for them that I'm beginning to think it will be cost effective to buy rather than keep renting. Menards has the Dirty Hand 27 ton and it looks like a nice unit. What do you all think, is 30 or 35 a professionals tool or is it a something I should consider?

BargeMonkey

When buying a splitter, especially a 1 way it never hurts to have to much. I havent found mine wont go thru and it says 38 ton on it. You want either a log table to pick them up or one that folds up and stands. Sort of wrestle the big blocks to it and split. I read the F.F stance on Northern, personally I have had awesome service with them, and im talking a 10k plus a year account. Bought their largest gas powered hot pressure washer 2 yrs ago for washing stuff on the jobs, like 6200 bucks and it came with no handles welded on. Northern made it right pretty quick.

brettl

It's looking like 30 tons are going to be stretching my budget, but possible. I'm seeing some really good feedback on the Huskee line. Haven't seen any feedback on the NorthStar that Northern sells. Honda engines, but smaller in displacement than similar ton-force splitters of other brands. EDIT: I've seen a few mentions of this brand now when seperating the two words and notice the automatic pop-up regarding FF's stand. I have high regard for this forum and  it's helpful members. I've looked but I can't find what FF's stand refers to on North Star, or northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. If this company has done something that would go against my ethics, I'll look at other splitters. Anyone care to explain? Thank you.

brettl

Talked to one of our TSC stores today and they're going to be getting the Huskee 28 ton Honda engine version in next week for 1299, 300 less than their online price! Sounds pretty good. Huskee has a long standing reputation and that Honda engine should be a good one. So now I'm no longer looking at used ones but am looking hard at the DHT and Huskee brands. I've yet to look at northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. If they have financing plans like Menards and TSC they might be in the running, that's the only way I can swing it right now so could be a deal breaker.

BargeMonkey

Tractor sells a decent splitter. Just look at the engine close. There is "honda" then there is "made to honda specs", another engine maker with honda's name on it. Have a push lawnmower like that, was not a true honda. Either way for the price your not getting hurt. Does it tilt ? That pays for itself.

brettl

Yes, it tilts. Thanks for the heads up on the engine. I wouldn't have thought to look for that. I'll have to look it over real close and figure out where to find Genuine Honda or Made To Honda Specs. Their online ad just advertises it as "Powered by Honda", Honda GC motor, and Honda listed after "make" in specs.

mad murdock

Quote from: brettl on March 30, 2014, 11:10:21 PM
I cut hedge for my folks every year and I've already cut so much the last month or so that I'm thinking of selling some to off-set gas costs. I know very little about splitters other than the basic operation. What are some good brands to look for? SPeeco and Swisher are two brands I've seen local on cl lately. I see a lot of homemade units on cl. If looking at these, what should I look out for in the hydraulics? This is an area I know nothing about. thank you

If I've posted this on the wrong forum please let me know so I can recommend it deleted and/or moved.
the only splitter I would use (besides my stable of axes and mauls) would be a supersplit. Or the firewoodinator that Logrite makes(based on the supersplit with some awesome addons).  Hydraulic splitters are slow for my liking.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

BargeMonkey

Quote from: brettl on April 02, 2014, 10:32:20 PM
Yes, it tilts. Thanks for the heads up on the engine. I wouldn't have thought to look for that. I'll have to look it over real close and figure out where to find Genuine Honda or Made To Honda Specs. Their online ad just advertises it as "Powered by Honda", Honda GC motor, and Honda listed after "make" in specs.
If its a red engine with a white fuel tank and a 45degree engine its a genuine honda. Theres nothing wrong with the other ones, just I dont know about some of the parts.

brettl

I just looked at the Honda website and they show the black, Honda GC 190cc engine shown on the Huskee 28 ton. I'm hoping that's the one TSC gets in and they haven't changed it. In looking at Speeco, it looks as if Speeco and Huskee are one in the same. Interesting that Speecos 28 ton shows a B&S engine. 

ahlkey

I also have a Supersplit and it is really impressive! It can really process a high volume of split firewood in a short time frame but you do need equipment to lift all those rounds efficiently to the table.   For most people a less expensive splitter that you can rotate vertically where you can just roll the rounds (no lifting) works well.  Likewise, a four-way attachment can help increase volume splitting.   

brettl

That brand isn't available here anyway and frankly I can't afford this without the no interest financing programs offered by the local big box stores. Even at that, I'm looking for as much quality as I can get for around $1500.

mad murdock

Quote from: brettl on April 02, 2014, 11:38:18 PM
That brand isn't available here anyway and frankly I can't afford this without the no interest financing programs offered by the local big box stores. Even at that, I'm looking for as much quality as I can get for around $1500.
good points. At your spry age, I would not discount a good selection of quality hand splitters, a good sturdy axe or 3 a decent maul or 2, and learn some labor saving techniques. Unless you are dealing with nasty knotty twisted grain, hydraulic splitters are painfully slow compared to what a guy can split with good hand tools. Fiskars x25 or x27 splitting axe is well worth a look see as well.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bfpforestproducts

I used a Northstar splitter when I was living in Minnesota.  Recently purchased a Wallenstein splitter and love it!  Very well designed and thought out the first thing I noticed was the placement of the oil filter, its no where near where a log will hit it, I used a SpeedCo splitter and the filter was right below the log cradle.  Anyway, the Wallenstein has been running strong since we got it and its done roughly 20 cords since we got it a few months back.  Helps having the Honda GX, love this engine!

Vance in AK

I have used the DR Rapid Fire (Like the Supersplit) & REALLY liked it.
http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/log-splitters/rapidfire-splitter/prompt-for-rapidfire-5-8-ms-new.axd

A touch over your price range but financing may be available.
They are fast & seem to be durable.  Get the table with it.  Sweet & spits wood out at pickup tailgate height.
We helped a bible camp out in the middle of No-Where Alaska get one up there.  They burn over 100cord a year & have been using it happily for 2 seasons with no complaints.  They really enjoy the fact that there are no hydraulics.

If I were buying a personal splitter for  commercial or semi  commercial use it would be that or the Supersplit unless I was going processor.

brettl

[/quote]good points. At your spry age, I would not discount a good selection of quality hand splitters, a good sturdy axe or 3 a decent maul or 2, and learn some labor saving techniques. Unless you are dealing with nasty knotty twisted grain, hydraulic splitters are painfully slow compared to what a guy can split with good hand tools. Fiskars x25 or x27 splitting axe is well worth a look see as well.
[/quote]

Oh if I were only as spry as my age indicates. :D Bad lower back makes hand splitting a bit less fun than I like. It is fun to get the old maul and splitting ax out every now and then just for the heck of it.

36 coupe

Quote from: brettl on April 02, 2014, 11:30:29 PM
I just looked at the Honda website and they show the black, Honda GC 190cc engine shown on the Huskee 28 ton. I'm hoping that's the one TSC gets in and they haven't changed it. In looking at Speeco, it looks as if Speeco and Huskee are one in the same. Interesting that Speecos 28 ton shows a B&S engine.
I was at TSC last week.The B&S engine has been changed to a Kohler.The splitter was priced at 999.00.Better check your local store.

John Mc

Brettl -  you asked about northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and why many here of the Forestry Forum have a problem with them.  Here's what I've heard, and in one instance, experienced myself:

One of the things they seem to have done on a number of occasions is take a piece of equipment that someone has put a lot of R&D effort into designing, engineering, refining and generally developing a good name for the product.  They then freeload on all that work that has been done, copy the product, cheapen it up and have it manufactured wherever they can get the cheapest labor. 

They often copy the design so closely that people THINK they are getting the real thing, and are quite upset when the product breaks or doesn't perform up to expectation.  In some cases, the disgruntled purchaser has even complained to the manufacturer of the original product about the shoddy workmanship. The manufacturer asks for the defective product to be returned, and finds that it is not one of their products, just a poor imitation.  The customer got burned, and it hurts the manufacturer twofold:  they lose sales to the cheaper product, and their reputation is damaged when someone goes public with their complaints, not realizing that they don't have the real thing.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

BargeMonkey

You made some valid points and I agree that the sponsors of the forum should be supported thru the forum. Problem with that is I know first hand what happened to "Timberharvester" sawmills out of NY by one of the sponsors who did just what you stated northern has done.

sawguy21

Quote from: brettl on April 02, 2014, 11:30:29 PM
Speeco, now owned by Blount (Oregon), offers Honda, Kohler, Briggs, and Chonda on their splitters. We only sell them with Briggs because we are the national distributor. We experienced some early problems with shoddy welds and pump misalignment but almost no issues over the last year. Good reliable unit. Not as fast as a Super Split but my back wouldn't allow me to keep up anyway. I'm no longer in a hurry.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!