iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitting Firewood

Started by BlaBla, July 22, 2004, 03:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

I'm getting rid of some black locusts as mentioned in previous posts. I will be doing two things with them. I may try packaging small bundles and selling wholesale to stores. If I can't find a market in that I will cut into cords and sell or make fenceposts.

I'm going to start quite slow, being that I've never done anything forestry related except for browsing this forum :) ;) :D ;D :)

I have the tools to split wood but I've never done it successfully. I tried to split VERY aged and decaying wood but I could not split it at all. When is the easiest time to split black locust? Any other suggestions on splitting?

In my research of black locust posts I've been confused. I know that some people cut locust into 4x4 posts and use them that way. I want to just use a round section of the trees and sell them to farmers as posts for barb wire fences. I'm guessing that there is a market in this(in Kansas). Am I wrong?

Also I've been informed that black locust will put out an offensive odor when burned. I don't know how severe this odor is and I don't have a way to test it. Is it noticeable when not expecting it? Does this odor deter a lot of buyers? Anything else on the odor?

Thanks

Ianab

I dont know about Black Locust, but as a general rule firewood splits easier when it's green. Once it's dried out some it can be like trying to split... I dunno.. a real tough to split thing.
Other thing is to lok at how you saw the pieces... leave the knots at one end, and split from the clean end
You will get the hang of it  ;)
Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

I think it stinks more when you cut it than when you burn it.  Maybe its just me.

I've seen posts sawn several ways.  Sawn posts are normally 4x4.  A tapered post is a 6x6 that is split in half on a taper.  One end is closer to 4" and the other end is closer to 2".

I've also sawed some where It was sawn on 2 sides to 4".  Then I would saw the flitch so that I would leave the bark on the back side of a post.  I'd get at least 2 three sided posts from each flitch, and sometimes get an extra 4x4.  We would sell the 4x4 for a little more than the 3 sided post.

You would be suprised at the amount of posts you can pick up by sawing instead of just selling the log.  Then, sell the slabs for firewood.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rebocardo

I think locust is probably like sweet gum, the only real way to split it is with a chain saw. Better when it is green as you do not get just sawdust, but, long curls.

I know from splitting oak, birch, and hickory, it is much easier to do when dry and it has started to split along radial lines. Just tap the wedge into a crack and wack it.

Cedarman

We have made a lot of split rails out of black locust. We get about 3 to 3.80 per rail. We are happy at that price.Check with your state and fed parks, they use a lot of rails.  The important thing for rails is that they are rather sound. If there is much rot at all, then firewood is the option. We use 6 to 7 inch posts either 8 foot or 10 foot long.  We use a hydraulic splitter designed for this.  We do not go in the end although my next splitter will be able to handle 11 foot and split from the end.  
We split from the side making sure we go through the heart. Sometimes we prebore with a chainsaw to make sure we do not split out the sides.  Split rails are worth more that fence posts or firewood.
Advertise in your farm magazines that you have locust fence posts. Rather that split, it might be better to cut in half on the bandsaw. We have also quartered hard to split firewood on the mill, then cut it to length.
As far as sawing 4x4 or other sizes, get the orders first, then saw to your customers preference.
Have you figured out your pricing for each item you are selling?
Build yourself a fire and smell the smoke or get a friend to give their opinion.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Egon

Ahh--just wait till it's - 30 F out. Splits real easy then.

Egon

DanManofStihl

I split gum and hickory when it is green It just gets harder with age I have a little hydrolic log splitter a 8 hp and it does alright it gets stuck sometimes when it is real stringy but that is the only way to split the type of wood I tryed with a axe and it bounced off.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

dansaylor

i  split alot of 5 and 6 foot mining timbers and the best way any wood busts is green....all i use is two 6 pound splitting mauls and sometimes a wedge....but always gotta keep a saw handy for the splintery ones...i split alot of popular though gum will split but it is very aggravating...most other wood splits accordingly...some split good and some u need dynomite for...lol..... as i know of but never tried any locust before.only way to do pine is rip it.

Thank You Sponsors!