iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Internal Brake

Started by loggerman1959, August 25, 2016, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

I run an international s8a with an internal brake . The brake is hanging up and I want to just disconnect it , problem is , Ive never dealt with an internal brake , does it have a caliper and rotor ? If anyone can maybe steer me in the right direction on how to disconnect I would be appreciative .

bushmechanic

Not sure what you mean by internal brake? The S8's that were around here all had cotta transfer cases and the brake was a disc on the front lower driveshaft.

hedgehog

i think he's talking about the 4 speed funk powershift in the S8A,, i think where the rear drive shaft comes from the transfer case there should be 3 adjustment bolts ,, you should be able to back them out far enough that the brake wont engage but they are hydralically activated, i dont think you can disconect,,

treeslayer2003

hedgehog is right but, if your brake is engaged you have low charge pressure. not good for the transmission. see the brake is spring applied, pressure released.

treeslayer2003

loggerman1959

I backed those three bolts out and the brake released , runs good  now , goes into gear fine . Can it be run like that ?

treeslayer2003

Quote from: loggerman1959 on August 28, 2016, 11:58:21 AM
I backed those three bolts out and the brake released , runs good  now , goes into gear fine . Can it be run like that ?
if it don't have a pressure gauge in dash, i would get one. i forget what spec is.......
my s8 did the exact same thing but mine has a gauge in dash, i saw that it was low and stopped using it. mine would release if i turned the engine up near max rpm, that got pressure up where it needs to be but at idle to half throttle it was under spec. i want to say 250psi was normal for it, can't remember.

Thank You Sponsors!