I Tried, But Couldn't Do It.

Started by DR_Buck, July 20, 2015, 08:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

4x4
What is it you want to say?
Spit it out...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thechknhwk

Ran the mill for 10 hrs today:)

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 23, 2015, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on July 22, 2015, 10:26:51 PM
Truck n trailer lookin good, YH!
??????

Ahaa!  very small font used... but change it to 20 instead of 2 and see the "fine print" better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

Been falling dead trees and cutting firewood for the past couple of weeks.  At the worst it was 95° with as high a humidity you can get without actual rain.  Start working at sunup and quit about 1- 2pm.  Usually I have things I can do inside the non-insulated barn where I can train a couple fans on me.  One day I was so wrung out I retreated to the basement, soaked up the cool air and took a nice long nap. 
Thank goodness the heat has broken and the temps are much more reasonable this week.  Drank gallons of water and lost some serious poundage.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

YellowHammer

Quote from: beenthere on July 23, 2015, 10:27:05 AM
Quote from: YellowHammer on July 23, 2015, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on July 22, 2015, 10:26:51 PM
Truck n trailer lookin good, YH!
??????

Ahaa!  very small font used... but change it to 20 instead of 2 and see the "fine print" better.

Got me!  I couldn't figure it out.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

okmulch

I did it!! Not sawing but grinding 450 yards of mulch in 107 heat. Time to go find the pool and an ice cold drink!! ;D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

4x4American

I don't know what happened there!  My computer would not type in anything bigger than really tiny font!  I tried, but couldn't do it.  (sound familiar?)  It happens normally if I hit enter, than backspace, than space bar, which I tend to do alot, but I couldn't fix that last night.  Thanks to the mod who fixed it!  :)
Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

With a very nice log sitting on the mill the last 4 days, it's still way to HOT. Hit 102F today with 85% humidity. Enough is enough.

Magicman

A new customer that I had talked with a month ago called today.  "I have my logs on the ground and am calling you like I said that I would".  I told him that September sounded mighty nice to me.  He agreed.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Been pretty nice here lately.  In the 80's give or take.  Some 90 degree days. 
Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

Haven't seen the temp below 80 the last two weeks.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

It's been in the 50s in the morning here, one morning last week it was 46°F.  I woke up pretty cold, windows open, fan on, no blankets.   :D   Got to work early that day...
Boy, back in my day..

dean herring

Ready to roof on mill shed but with 100°+ days would be hard to stay on a metal roof.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

fishfighter

Way to hot to do that. It took me over a week just to put up 5 sheets on my camp. Good news this morning. Our temp dipped below 80 for the first time in two weeks this morning. Got down to 79. ;D

fishfighter

Just HOT out there, but just had to get things done around the camp and mill landing area before any rain comes.

Moving dirt, pushing trash logs (small gum) and what not, burning cut offs with mud and things are looking better.

But before doing that, I had to get up a ladder and hang the last of the tarp to close in my camp building. That is 26' up and that is not something I like to do anymore. ;D

Now, if only it would rain just a little to help pack the loose dirt down some.

beenthere

Looks more like 16', but you know how high it is.
Good that you have it tarped up and ready for the rain.
You guys need some drying time, sometime soon.
south central Wisconsin

deadfall

I'll give it 19 feet max.  But I'm there too.  Used to be I was never afraid to get high.  Now between stiffness and dizziness, the confidence is gone.  I used to laugh at guys who acted like frightened kittens.  Now I'm getting there. That's why the ridge on the shop I want to build will be up there 30 feet.  It's not the fall that kills you.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

fishfighter

Many many years ago, I did power line work. Used to walk the line from pole to pole. Now, I don't think that would fly. Heck, I don't think they climb poles anymore. ;D And yes, that is 26' at the peak. That is a 8/12 roof line.  Walls are 10' and another 42" for sills and pillows.

beenthere

Guess I was judging by the distance between the ladder rungs of 12". Maybe they are a bit more.

That is a long way up.

And tightrope walking power lines must have raised some hair on the back of the neck.  I wouldn't ever have had the balance to do that.
south central Wisconsin

fishfighter

We walk on the phone line, holding onto the power line. ;D

deadfall

I wuz going by the ladder rungs too.  I worked for the phone company, but in the CO on the frame.  If we took a ladder two steps at a time, the safety patrol were all over us.  No having fun.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

1-2 Tree

Well its over a 100 here during the day I wait until 6:30 or later and load a tree on the mill when I finish it I go in and take a shower ! glad I am part time 
I like the smell of saw dust in the mornings !I have a crescent wrench and I know how to use it ! The best hammer I have ever owned !

Thank You Sponsors!