iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Automate saw head on LT 15

Started by fred in montana, February 02, 2011, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

I have been doing some searches and found some examples of people who have added power up down to the saw head.

I am planning on adding it to my LT 15 using a chain drive with a 12V gear motor.

Does anyone have any recommendations on torque, RPM?

Anyone ever done it on an LT 15?

Thanks

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

sdunston

I am going to do a power up&dwn on my LT28 soon, Ordered a gearmotor(12v) from surplus center and a switch. I will do a post when complete and will add some pic's. My plan is to have it done by the end of the month :D well maybe next month for sure. The cold and the snow has got me a little behind.

Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sdunston

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 03, 2011, 09:18:03 PM
Don't WM offer an upgrade kit?

Kinda,LT35 :D, A kit would be nice but the last I checked no upgrades to power up and down on a LT28
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Bibbyman

Here is a video by Wood-Mazer that tells and shows the LT15PF option and it can be retrofited on some models of LT15s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9voKa349eOM

Embeding has been has been disabled so you'll have to "Watch on YouTube".
Sawing since '94

DouginUtah

Can someone explain why 'Embedding disabled by request' is done and by whom?

And while I'm asking, why does a link to a Youtube video have just the link if you send it in an email, but when put here on the forum it expands to the full picture?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Bibbyman

Quote from: DouginUtah on February 04, 2011, 12:28:09 AM

And while I'm asking, why does a link to a Youtube video have just the link if you send it in an email, but when put here on the forum it expands to the full picture?

The people uploading a video to YouTube,  in this case Wood-Mizer, exercise an option not allow embedding.  Thus the video can't be used on someone else's web page, etc.

The second is BBC - Bulletin Board Code.  When the text in a message is interpreted as it's displayed to view,  it recognizes some character strings and takes some action.  That's why when you see a things happen when you see commands in square brackets like {img}{/img}  except square brackets.  Smileys work the same way. Jeff has probably customize the BBC to switch words on Youber night.

Anyway, that's my best guess. 
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Quote from: DouginUtah on February 04, 2011, 12:28:09 AM

I guess certain videos have embedding disabled to make sure they are not used somewhere where the author does not want them used. It is done by whoever uploads the video.

You see the video here with just the link because I have the forum coded to enable the embedding when you place a link here to youtube. We don't allow the entire embedding code because that is allowing other html code as well which is inviting security trouble.

essentially what Bibbyman said. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fred in montana

I have seen the power feed before. May consider that at some point but what I am thinking about right now is power up and down.

;)
logdovetailjig.com

Bibbyman

Is your LT15 the pre gas assist model?  The newer models with gas assist require almost no effort to raise and lower.
Sawing since '94

dukndog

Found this link....the language sounds a bit proper english or european. Unsure where it was taken, but it has electric feed, up/down, and a different forward/reverse crank handle. It is called the "LT15S3E11S"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dju5OgfHDls&feature=related

Jeff, Sorry if the link is unacceptable. Just trying to help out with the question.

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

fred in montana

Good video. I will have to look into that.

I do have the gas assist and it is not difficult to raise and lower but I was thinking I may try to add a microcontroller driven power up and down. Sort of a setworks system I guess.
logdovetailjig.com

sdunston

Not sure but it looks like WM across the pond uses a LINEAR ACTUATOR to move the head up and down.Here is what I have learned, WM makes and sells one of the best mills on the market and that is why I got a LT28 from them,My first mill ever and when you start using it you learn alot real fast and find out things you should have got but could not aford the larger mill at that point in time. I was able to add my hyd 2plane clamp and log turner for not alot of money and will add power up and down for not a lot of money(call me a cheap skate :D) but it is still an LT28.If I had to do it all over I would have found a used LT40hyd with simpleset and used that mill until it was paid off then traded up to a orange???????? mill that would be best at that time.One more thing if the LT35 was out when I purchased my 28 I would have jumped on the 35 in a heart beat.Hope this makes sence ::)

Sam

Thank You Sponsors!