iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tom ain't the only one...

Started by DanG, February 14, 2006, 12:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

in Florida to have guests, this week.  Sprucebunny came to spend the day with me on Sunday.  She had come to Fla to get a break from the cold in New Hampshire, but didn't seem to be having much luck, there.  It was in the twenties when she arrived at 9am, and didn't do all that much better all day.  We had planned to do some sort of work that day, but it was just too chilly to get interested in doing very much.  We did go for a brisk walk to check out a couple of little logging operations going on across the railroad, and got a good, close-up look at one honkin' big feller-buncher.  Outside of that, we stood around the fire in front of my shop and visited and shivered and visited and shivered some more.  We went up the road to get a bite of lunch, then took the scenic route back, which included a look at Mr. Hootie's place from outside the fence.  When we got back, Woodbowl had just arrived to spend the afternoon with us.  We spent the whole afternoon visiting and poking around the old stuff on my place.

I gotta say, I'm in total agreement with everyone else on the forum that has met Joan.  She is an absolutely delightful person, in every way.  If any of you ever get the chance to spend some time with her, you'd be nutz to pass it up!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

crtreedude

Sprucebunny,

The next time you are trying to escape the cold, you need to keep going further south. I know they think they are in the deep south, but they missed it by about 1,000 miles.

But you would need a passport.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

sprucebunny

Thanks, DanG

I had a great time and I got a good pic of the three of us.

Too bad we missed the icicle shot  :D

Full report tomorrow

It's a little warmer today but next time I'm taking Fred's advice ...I already got the passport  ;)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crtreedude

I can use all the help I can get with Harold...  ::)

jon12345

Was wonderin, what shots should ya get before headin to the 'deep deep south'  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

crtreedude

The CDC says to take shots, we did for the first trip, mainly for malaria. Well, personally (legal disclaimer, I am not a doctor and you are a big boy, make your own decision on this) I think it was a waste of money. First of all, in 4 years I have never met a single person (or heard of a person) who has had malaria. Perhaps they have it around Puntarenas - but not up this way.

The side effects of the drugs can be pretty evil and your odds of getting them is much higher than getting what they are trying to prevent.

Denque is a more serious issue - but honestly, again, unless you are at certain hotspots (Puntarenas for example) your odds of getting it is very, very slim.

Use mosquito protection if you are concerned - others swear by vitamin B - of course my solution is to have someone with me who is far more attractive to mosquitos than I - works great!

When you think about it - do you think everyone here is living on these drugs? Costa Rica has a life expectancy about the same as the USA.

Murf

Glad to hear you managed a break Joan, sounds like you had fun, even if it wasn't in a warm climate.  :D

I hope you took the cold weather back home with you, I am thinking of going down for the Flywheelers Show next week since I may have to accompany my Mom back to Lake Wales anyways.

Fred, just as a clarification, do you mean you need help for Harold, or because of him?  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

crtreedude

Helping corral Harold - what else do you expect?  ::)

sprucebunny

Yup.... It sure was great visiting DanG and it was great to meet Woodbowl, who gave me a beautiful bowl, Thanks, Olin  8) More about the bowl in a week or so  ;)

Here's the promised pic.

It was warmer in New Hampshire this afternoon than it was in Florida this morning  ::) .... I guess I'll try to forget about the temperature and remember how much fun it was to meet Forestry Forum members ;D

SwampDonkey

Dang looks like he had to get the kindling axe out to build a fire that morning. 45 F here today  8)

Looks like everyone had a good time. Lotsa grin'n and smile'n and shiver'n. :D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

UNCLEBUCK

Its one of my goals in life to see mr.hooties stuff and go to that oyster bar !  Did you go the oyster bar s.b. ?  Thats too bad it was that cold .  Lookin forward to hear about your trip more  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

isawlogs

A kindling axe, a beer fridge and a roof over ones head ... What better place to meet with friends . 
Once I get this new house up and I am all moved in I am going to make it down there and see for myself whats hiding in that there fridge  ;D 
  What kind of pine is that ..  ???  It does look a bit like our red pine here .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

iain

A door on that alfresco work shop

Dang is that the old style chopper you got in the block?

did you make a complete new hatchet?

or is your sighting device available as an upgrade?

if as an up grade what models of axe have you got covered?

and do you ship to the UK?

Iain

woodbowl

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 15, 2006, 06:48:47 PM

You can barely see it but we've got a fire a burnin. It is in an old wheel rim in front of SB's feet. Every time she would try to get out of the smoke, it would follow her to the other side. It's colder than it looks. That's three popsickles your lookin' at!
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

beenthere

Yep, now that you mention it, can see the flames at SB's feet and the smoke above her head.
Now, why would two guys let SB stand in the smoke that way?   ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

I'm tellin' ya, that smoke followed sprucebunny around like a new puppy. She couldn't get away from it. They say smoke follows beauty. .... That don't make no sense at all. If that was true, it should have followed me and DanG too.  :-\
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sprucebunny

:D :D Ohhh .... it's always like that ... smoke always follows me . My coat smelled like a campfire for days ;D ....Do you think it's why the TSA searched that bag ??? Or do you think it was the flashlight, jacknife, chargers/connectors and jars of marmalade ??? ;D

sprucebunny

I had to ship myself a box from FL to get all the cool stuff home. The bowl woodbowl gave me and the tangelos and giant pine cones .

Here's some little trees we pulled up

DanG and woodbowl also helped me collect some pecans that might grow and a couple of kinds of berries. I'll plant those today ;D

SwampDonkey

I brought home some palms and lemon trees. I had them for a few years and got tired of them. Had some lemons though and the palms would have some kind of spores that were messy on the living room floor. ;)

Good luck with the pecans. Don't plant them outside to grow though, they won't survive the northern climate. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Joan, I am pretty dense lately, I should have done that. Tom and I went to an antique (junk) shop and I hit the motherlode on books on forestry and logging and trees and lumber and stuff. I only bought 5 books, but there was about 20 there I would have loved to have but knew I had no way to carry them home. I'm either a dummy or a very inexperienced travler because it never occured to me to get them and ship them home.  DOH!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

Well Tom beeing a gentlemen and a scholar , could go back ther for ya .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!