iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grampa's storage shed for old chainsaws

Started by treeslicer, May 04, 2012, 09:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeslicer

hi I was just clearing out a storage shed that grampa has in his yard & i came across some chainsaws that looked kinda old, can somebody tell me more about them? there are some bars & chains on the shelf with them too. i'm having trouble uploading photos i don't understand how to attach them?!

sawguy21

Reduce them to a size the dial up guys can see per instructions then post to them to your gallery. Once you have done that you can add to your post. Good luck, I want to see them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

Check this thread out for posting pics. If your pics are on your computer and are .jpg format, then this is the link to the thread to follow. Shouldn't have to reduce size, as it will be done for you.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html

Will be interesting to see the old saws.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslicer

the first pic is of the bars and chains on the shelf in the shed they have been oiled at some time in the past so they still move ok

the second pic is after we got the out into the light of day. I don't think anybody has been in this shed for 30 years or so.

DaveP

The bars in the first picture and the five saws in the second are Disston DA211s.  They had a 2 cylinder Kiekhaefer, (Mercury outboard) engine.  I boutht one new in 1955 for $430.00.  I still have the book that came with it.  It says the engine is 9 hp.

Davep

treeslicer

Hi , I thought I would get somebody to post someting back to me about such a collection, thanx for the help on posting pic's, I have seen several youtube pic's of these old saws running and cutting logs for shows. what I was thinking is that getting one running and making it into a slabbing saw, I have a woodmizer, but i have a few logs that are just too big to fit on the mill, I devised a way to split them up to fit on my mill ( youtube-40" black walnut explosion split) , but what I would like to do is just rip some slab wood, would these units fit the bill? several of them have great compression & should run with a little tlc. Anybody near north detroit area that would be willing to help out? we have just started emptying out one of several sheds that grampa has & some are just so full It will take a day or two just to empty and inventory, so we know just what we have.
thanx davep any info is really helpfull!

sawguy21

I just got told NO NO NO!! DanG. :D I have part of one that was coupled to a Wajax fire pump.

OntarioAl

Treeslicer
The motor that you have was also used to power the Wajax Mark 1 fire pump
The pump was a multi staged centrifical pump (still in production) capable when new of producing nozzle pressures at 100 ft (one length of 1 1/2 " forestry hose) through a barrel nozzle of 120 psi 1/2" oriface, 180 psi 3/8". and 250psi 1/4 . and a stall prssure of over 300 psi.
In the early 1960's Wajax went to the Rotax engine and have not changed since.
Al
Al Raman

Al_Smith

They sound exactly like an outboard boat motor when they wind up .

Think about that price in 1955 and what that would be in todays dollars .

Ward Barnes

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 06, 2012, 10:08:34 PM
They sound exactly like an outboard boat motor when they wind up .

Think about that price in 1955 and what that would be in todays dollars .

According to one estimate $430.00 in 1955 dollars would be $3434.69 in 2007 dollars.  So add a few more to get an approximate value for 2012.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Clam77

If you've got the time to clean everything up, you've got a NEAT collection there!!   :o
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

treeslicer

hi the last post mentioned if i have time to clean them up i would have a great collection. thanx, but does anybody ahave the right recipie fir cealning them up? they have been in storage for years and there is a ton of dust & grime on them, i don,t thing foamy engine bright might be to harsh? I want to set up a cleaning station area for these old beauties that are coming out of hiding, so there new owners can see the beauty in them and not all the dirt that is hiding it, I found this one under some debris in the back leanto. at least it was off the ground and dry, I lightly tugged the starter rope and couls feel the compression go thump, thump, so I dumped out the old gas, it still smelled like fuel, not varnish, pulled the plugs & cleaned them with a wire brush, tested for spark sucsesfully! she sputtered a couple of times on the first pulls and on the 10th pull she fired right up and run beautiful for a few minutes! wow what exictment!

the last two pic's are of a mercury 1 man saw that is still hanging in the rafters, i finaly got close enough to remove all the crap that was covering it, i've never seen such a monster! it's easily got to be the biggest 1 man saw i have ever seen! the bar is 9" wide and close to 3', it think it's used to be paul bunyans 1st chainsaw, I can not imagine me ( in my best years ) being able to run this monster! MORE TO COME! P S To all the people texting me do you have this part or that part? the answer is absoulty YES i have them all! but I need time to inventory it all, I will be answering individual replies asap, please be calm I will get to you. thanx treeslicer

beenthere

Looks like a project (or two)...

Do you think the Dynamite in the red box is still any good? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Clam77

I'd say you need a bunch of elbow grease and even more degreaser.   :D

Something like Castrol's Super Clean and a stiff nylon brush and bucket of water should do the trick to get the grease and grime off.  The dried-like-a-rock tree sap and stuff on them though.....   :-\

What's the story behind your grampa having all these??  Was he a dealer/repairman of some sort or a logger with his own business maybe?? 
Andy

Mac 1-40, 3-25

sawguy21

I would be like a kid on Christmas morning with that collection.  :D Hope you can find a good home where they will be appreciated.

petefrom bearswamp

What a find!
When i was a young pup at the NYS Ranger School At Wanakena, we used a 2 man Disston and a one man Mall which weighed almost as much as the 2 man saw.  This caused my pals and me to say @#@@ a Mall.
Also had a Homelite 6-24, a 2 position saw and a 7-21 an all position saw, and a couple of McCullochs all heavy.
ZEP has a product  called ZEP 50 that works great on old grease and stuff , but i don't know about oxidation. You just spray it on and let set for a few minutes and then rinse it off.
Good luck with your restoration.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

Now this might sound silly but citric acid will eat up rust like a hungry wolf .

Some of the hand cleaners have citric acid .One gent from Australia on a forum concerning old Caterpillers gets spoiled oranges ,grapefruits etc from a fruit market and mashes them up in an old bath tub .Tosses the parts in the goop for a couple of days ,pulls them out and hoses them off .

I've never done anything large but I did use a citric based hand cleaner on an old rusty pruning saw and it did the job .Took a couple of treatments though .

millingtherapy

Great find, Make your grandpa proud.  I hope my grand kids appreciate all the stuff they find one day too. I have a DA211 that I need a recoil for.  Are there any boxes of parts or just complete units?  I will try to send a photo of a restored units.  A glass bead cabinet will become your best friend. I agree castrol superclean will pull off baked on grease, just don't leave it on too long, it etches.  Oven cleaner works good, coast 311 or industrial floor cleaner also are the same as superclean.

millingtherapy

Our DA 211 Fan housing should have been left aluminum unpainted.

markd

markd

Clam77

Quote from: millingtherapy on May 12, 2012, 04:03:00 AM

I agree castrol superclean will pull off baked on grease, just don't leave it on too long, it etches.  Oven cleaner works good, coast 311 or industrial floor cleaner also are the same as superclean.

Right - anything with Sodium Hypochlorite and/or caustic soda in it. 

Nice looking Mercury there!!    8)
Andy

Mac 1-40, 3-25

bigbore

Could we have some more photos and an update, please. smiley_thumbsup

treeslicer

hi again, been busy staying alive! the latest on this collection; I had to seperate myself from this collection for a while as a relative was taking it over, and does not know her right hand from anything, I'm just waiting for her to implode,(hopefully soon), so I can get back to work with the sane part of the family. I have found coils & carb kits for the two I do have and should have them up and running soon. will post video of them when I have them together.

sharkey

Be careful with the super clean if you decide to use it.  It will take the ink off the model plates.  I used it to clean up a lawnboy this spring with a spray bottle.  In just enough time to move from the front to the back of the mower, the model plate ink was gone. 

Thank You Sponsors!