iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

modding my 390 Husky

Started by timberjack 450, February 20, 2013, 06:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

I want to mod my 390 or one of my 385s. I would like to do all the mufflers, but would like one of them ported and tweeked as much as possible.( for work,not competing) Would like any advice I could get. I can't find anybody on the east coast that does the work. I would have to send it out to the west coast. The porting doesn't look that difficult if I knew the specks. I have heard you have to change the coil also.(blue being stock,black being the one I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.     
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

ChopperDan

I'm in the same boat. I have a 562xp that I'm going to have ported. For me it looks like I'm going to send it to a reputable builder in Tennessee.I don't know him nor have I done business with him but I hear very good things about his work.  It will be around 250 to have it done.
550xpg
562xp
Makita 6421 converted to 7900 X2
Hd SuperSpitter

tlandrum

im not looking at the ocean but im considered to be on the east coast  :D
so if your looking to get that saw up to speed for production work i can help you out.i will be putting a build thread up on another site here in the next week on a  "wicked work saw 385" over on another site. i seem to have a little extra time in the shop these days with all the rain tn is getting. i cant get more than a day of logging in to save my butt. 
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

hu5qvarna395xp

I've got a385 apart now what all could I do wih this thing .. an I also have a 390 what's the website ur on??
Jd an franklin skidders,husqvarna saws,prentice loaders an mack trucks that's how we roll!!!

MakitaCS

Your imagination is your limitation. From what I was told, there is a fella who machines a 2 piece head on 390's for worksaws that fell up in Alaska professionally.

I myself port finger ports on this Husqvarna design that run through the cylinder wall. The FP's are fed from the intake duct.

If ya want just a basic woods port, widen the ports and tighten up the squish band via a thinner gasket made out of just about anything.

Before you even think about grinding, practice on junk cylinders to familiarize which porting bits work best for you.
CHEVYTOWN13

AdkStihl

Quote from: tlandrum on February 21, 2013, 12:12:12 AM
im not looking at the ocean but im considered to be on the east coast  :D
so if your looking to get that saw up to speed for production work i can help you out.i will be putting a build thread up on another site here in the next week on a  "wicked work saw 385" over on another site. i seem to have a little extra time in the shop these days with all the rain tn is getting. i cant get more than a day of logging in to save my butt.

Hello Terry  ;)
J.Miller Photography

MakitaCS

I forgot the most important part. With 400/600 wet, bevel the edges of the ports so the rings have no chance to catch.
CHEVYTOWN13

AdkStihl

Quote from: MakitaCS on April 16, 2013, 09:53:06 AM
I forgot the most important part. With 400/600 wet, bevel the edges of the ports so the rings have no chance to catch.

popcorn_smiley
J.Miller Photography

MakitaCS

Thee most important actually,

http://www.foredom.net/

Well worth the investment and makes porting fun and easy.
CHEVYTOWN13

AdkStihl

Quote from: MakitaCS on April 16, 2013, 05:06:12 PM
Thee most important actually,

http://www.foredom.net/

Well worth the investment and makes porting fun and easy.

Dremel works too, but the best are pneumatic dental style ;)
Gotta have a 90* handpiece for the uppers too  :-*
J.Miller Photography

MakitaCS

adkstill, if you can get a 390 to run like my ported 390 in seasoned Canyon Oak and turn the revs it does in the cut, I'd say your tooth floss is working  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmBQC05zMM0&list=UUajZbXHo90pcHQr1a1G0WKw&index=3
CHEVYTOWN13

AdkStihl

Quote from: MakitaCS on April 17, 2013, 10:06:51 AM
adkstill, if you can get a 390 to run like my ported 390 in seasoned Canyon Oak and turn the revs it does in the cut, I'd say your tooth floss is working  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmBQC05zMM0&list=UUajZbXHo90pcHQr1a1G0WKw&index=3

tooth floss eh.......... smiley_headscratch................... Violin_smiley
J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

timberjack, if youre unfamiliar with porting a saw & want it done right,  please don't try a 390 on your first go around. One slip of the grinder can be a costly mistake.
I know several saw builders (including tlandrum) who have excellent reputations for the quality and performance of their work.
Send me a PM if your interested in a list of reputable/qualified (IMO) saw builders.
Pricing will vary slightly, but all are worth the $

Jeremy
J.Miller Photography

JRHAWK9

Quote from: AdkStihl on April 17, 2013, 12:04:54 PM
timberjack, if youre unfamiliar with porting a saw & want it done right,  please don't try a 390 on your first go around. One slip of the grinder can be a costly mistake.
I know several saw builders (including tlandrum) who have excellent reputations for the quality and performance of their work.
Send me a PM if your interested in a list of reputable/qualified (IMO) saw builders.
Pricing will vary slightly, but all are worth the $

Jeremy

yep, I love my monkey'd 390XP   ;D

JohnG28

MakitaCS what size bar/chain is on that 390 in the video? Unless you're 8 ft tall I'd say its 18-20", which should be able to keep up pretty well even in dry hardwood.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

AdkStihl

Quote from: JohnG28 on April 17, 2013, 05:56:34 PM
MakitaCS what size bar/chain is on that 390 in the video? Unless you're 8 ft tall I'd say its 18-20", which should be able to keep up pretty well even in dry hardwood.

18-20 was my guess too!
;D

I wanna see perform like a 390 was supposed to......with a 36" and pull the same RPMs. 
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

:D Oh here we go again .I'm not so certain you need a 500 dollar Foredom to cut the ports on a saw engine .A few years back ole Gypo  did an 044 with a couple chainsaw files and a piece of sandpaper .Believe it or not it ran pretty good .I ran the thing myself as a matter of fact .

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 17, 2013, 07:28:27 PM
:D Oh here we go again .I'm not so certain you need a 500 dollar Foredom to cut the ports on a saw engine.

I agree. I've done nice work my $99 Dremel.
Nothing extensive, mostly cleanup stuff.
Anything I couldn't reach with the flex shaft got hit with a modded file

;)

J.Miller Photography

MakitaCS

Wood is wood  ;D

In stock form, it pulled a 32" bar like no ones business...

Be careful what you ask for!

Gotta split, I'm tiggin' the blocks on the 262 Alky burner   :)
CHEVYTOWN13

AdkStihl

Quote from: MakitaCS on April 18, 2013, 02:12:20 PMBe careful what you ask for!
:)

Quote from: MakitaCS on April 18, 2013, 02:12:20 PMGotta split, I'm tiggin' the blocks on the 262 Alky burner   :)

Good luck!
So are you sharpening or balling your tungsten?
Using standard tungstens?
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

:D Ah I see Rick has a new name .Same guy though .

What I can't figure out is if the saw stopped in the middle of the cut or he shut it off .

Another thing I guess I don't understand is if the saw chain was filed to pull dust or if it's on backwards .Generally speaking it should pull big chips not bug dust .Maybe they do things in California differently ?

Say Rick are you still using a router to port saws with ? --no sir I didn't forget  ;)

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 18, 2013, 08:36:55 PMAnother thing I guess I don't understand is if the saw chain was filed to pull dust or if it's on backwards .Generally speaking it should pull big chips not bug dust .

The core looked rotten to me :(
That would explain the bug dust
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

That was an astute observation I hadn't thought of .I wouldn't have thought ole honest Rick would attempt to decieve his brethren but it is the internet you know .It would however explain why only a partial cut .

Canyon oak as I gather is a type of "evergreen green"oak native to northern California related to the red oaks and live oaks .As I recall and I have a real good memory young Chevy cut some a few years back with his router tuned saw .It looked a little punky to me but that was about two years ago before he graduated to a Foredom die grinder as oppossed to the router and sand paper .Evidently he still likes sand paper having made mention of it .Most of us use Craytex but we don't have his vast knowledge .

Rick once made a statement that people would always remember him .He got his wish . ;)

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 18, 2013, 08:36:55 PMWhat I can't figure out is if the saw stopped in the middle of the cut or he shut it off .

Watched the vid again. It stopped / cold seized if you ask me.
Saw sounds on the lean side.
I mean who decides to shut a saw off in the middle of cutting a cookie @ WOT?

& Why?......to color tune a saw?........NAH...its not a freaken sled or an MX bike.

J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

That would be a shame if it did hang siezed .Geeze that thing is a 1200 dollar saw .Ole Rick must have gold mine in his back yard .

Thank You Sponsors!