iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite 550 vs MacCulloch 850?

Started by martyinmi, May 12, 2013, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

I'm thinking about trading off my 550 Homelite for a 850 Mac. If the condition of each one(both mechanically and cosmetically) is nearly identical, which is worth more?
I already have 3 Homelites that run in the 80 cc range, but only one Mac (a 250 that'll be auctioned off here to help with the pig roast-more on that later ;)). The guy with the 850 really likes Homelites, and I actually prefer the Macs in the saws that size.

What do ya'll think? :) 
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

mad murdock

IMHO, the Promac series SP80/81/PM800/805/850 were the best saws made in that displacement class.  They will outcut any stock saw of similar size available today, and they don't  weigh any more pound for pound that the newer saws either. I would go for it!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

Let me just say they have enough .Now as far as smoking a modern 80 cc saw it's unlikely because I have both an SP 81 and an 805 with an early 850 engine which has more grunt than the last of the series .

They can't get-er-done against a 460 Stihl ,372 Huskey etc.  because believe me I've tried .However they can still do a days work don't ever doubt that .

Having said that they still fetch a tidy price if they are cosmetically and mechanically sound .

As far as speed of cut compaired to that 250 it would be hands down to the 81 or 850 .

martyinmi

Soooo....was a Mac 850 able to outrun a Homelite 550 back in the day, all things being equal?

Or was it the other way around?

I can't hardly imagine a saw in the 80cc class having more grunt than my Homelite 550. It is loud and sounds like it runs a bunch more rpm's than my 250.
It appears to have only slightly less power than the 1050 Auto I had for a while.
Of course, I never ran them side by side in anything bigger than about 20".
I'd imagine the 1050 would outshine the 550 in 30 inch log.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

mad murdock

Quote from: martyinmi on May 12, 2013, 10:23:46 PM
Soooo....was a Mac 850 able to outrun a Homelite 550 back in the day, all things being equal?

Or was it the other way around?

I can't hardly imagine a saw in the 80cc class having more grunt than my Homelite 550. It is loud and sounds like it runs a bunch more rpm's than my 250.
It appears to have only slightly less power than the 1050 Auto I had for a while.
Of course, I never ran them side by side in anything bigger than about 20".
I'd imagine the 1050 would outshine the 550 in 30 inch log.
i will defer to Al on that ?.  I have never used a 550. The Mac though is a powerhouse. I would guess that the Homie and the Mac would be pretty comperable, with the Mac weighing in a tad under the 550-just a guess though.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

I've only seen a couple 550s' in my life time .They cut pretty well .The 450----750 were the last of the true pro saws Homelite ever built and were pretty good saws.

Now don't get all caught up in a Ford-Chevy thing because just because it's painted red or yellow doesn't make it a better saw .Generally speaking most saws within a certain displacement will cut at just about the same speed .At the end of a day in the woods you wouldn't see a noticable difference in the amount of work done .

So what you find is up yonder in the mint patch with nephew Marty Homelite was more popular .Yet down here in yon corn field with uncle Al twas ye olde yellow McCullochs .

Thank You Sponsors!