iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best target wood for Axe Throwing

Started by esteadle, August 09, 2017, 05:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteadle

Hi,

Axe Throwing seems like an up-and-coming hipster thing. I'm trying to figure out how to profit.  ;D

They will need to replace the wooden targets that they throw into at some point. If I were to get into this business, and supply lumber for making targets, what would be the best material do you think?

To save the Axes, something softer. With lower mineral content, and non-reactive. So not black locust or oak.

In the softwood category, pine, hemlock, evergreens have sap, that I figure would stick to the axes.

To be durable, so they don't have to change the targets too often, maybe a softer hardwood?
Basswood? Beech? Alder? Poplar (but does that have minerals?)

And next question... dimensions,
Thickness - probably pretty stout thickness. 6/4 or 8/4? Or maybe 10/4? or 12/4?
Width - as wide as possible probably. Joints may make for misses. Axes stuck in seams? Shattering a joint?
Length - as needed, I guess.

Very interested in what everyone thinks...

Kbeitz

A potted tree would be the best... The wounds would eventually grow shut again.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Just talking out my ___ since I know nothing about ax throwing but I'd think soft wood like basswood or buckeye. I'd think minimum 8/4 and 10/4 to 12/4 looks like it would be better.

I've you are going to use beech I want to stay far away and that was the hardest wood I encountered to stick an ax in from my experience trying to split some for firewood a few years ago. I'd really worry about ricochets with beech.

Good luck.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

clearcut

The National Axe Throwing Federation (NATF) has detailed target construction specifications, though they neglect to list species for the targets. They do mention that the subframe is spruce or pine, followed by 3/4" plywood, and the target itself consists of three 2X10 boards 4' long.

http://www.nationalaxe.com/

Specs are at:

http://www.nationalaxe.com/league-administration.html

Carbon sequestered upon request.

YellowHammer

Esteadle,
That's interesting, I've been seeing some of the same thing, except they have been requests for knife and Ninja star targets.  Not many, but a few. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

It seems to me that BASSWOOD would make a good target for a throwing axe!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Engineer

I'm thinking that the hipsters should use each other for targets. smiley_mad_crazy

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Engineer on August 10, 2017, 08:19:52 AM
I'm thinking that the hipsters should use each other for targets. smiley_mad_crazy
:D :D

I can think of lots of other groups I could add but I digress.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coalsmok

I have always seen a big firewood round used at the black powers shoots and reenactments. Oak or whatever was handy.

TKehl

Doughty oak or elm that is slightly damp.  When I try to split it for firewood, it just buries the maul.  I have a hard time retrieving and it seems to have no impact whatsoever on the stick even after repeated thwacks.   ;D 

Would probably suck an axe in halfway up the handle.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Tam-i-am

Alissa from the Axewomen uses pine or poplar.  It must be clear, no knots.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Tam-i-am

esteadle  axe throwing bars are turning up all over so someone has to source these things.  I can't imagine mixing axes and alcohol ;D

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2017/06/26/drinking-and-throwing-mix-boston-might-soon-find-out/mlKiF9qIFSHbQHz34nAGLP/story.html

I love Engineer's idea for targets!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

tomsteve

my neighbor gets  a lot of wood from the city. used to cut and sell firewood. an older gentleman stopped by about 2 months ago lookin for targets. showed us his throwing axes and talked about different competitions he goes to.
he was lookin for cottonwood, so neighbors been gettin into the cottonwood cookie cuttin business a bit.

dnalley

What is a "hipster"?  Just wondering why anybody would want them throwing axes at each other.

logboy

I'm a many time world champion lumberjack in the water events and have 30 years experience in the sport. We always throw at a huge cookie of white pine that has a chain and binder around it to prevent it from breaking apart over time. Going from memory they were always at least 6" thick, but many were thicker (a foot thick wasn't uncommon). The center is mounted 5' from the ground. You throw from 20' away. The bullseye is 5 points, the next ring 4, etc.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Peter Drouin

I have made them for customers before, Allways W Pine cut 6" thick x3' cookie. They want end grain to hit.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Percy

I think the best wood for this application would be a nice fat round cookie.......with a pic of your mother-in-law attached.....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Wudman

In college competition we used a yellow poplar round about 3 feet long.  It sat in an X-brace frame.  You threw at the end grain. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

RPowers

Black Gum, soft enough and you cant split it.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Thank You Sponsors!