iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crazy chainsaw tachometer idea.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 06, 2008, 07:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Anyone ever rivet a Tiny Tach on the top of the saw? You could adjust for different weather conditions, bar lengths, impromptu in-field muffler modding  ;D , or just keep an eye on things?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Well theres a thought  ;D  One thats never crossed my mind , and god knows a few have gone through there  :D
I went to the link and I like it, what I dont get is why make the batteries unchangeable

Tachometer and hour meter for gas engines.
    Can be programmed for different engines.
    RPM to 19,990.
    Updates every 1/2 second.
    High RPM recall.
    Contains tachometer, hour meter, two service timers, job timer and max RPM.
    All menu controlled.
    Standard wire length is 6 feet. Allow 2-3 weeks for custom orders.
   Estimated battery life is 5+ years — not replaceable.
One year warranty

That only tells me that I would be looking for a new one in 2 1/2 years  ::) :D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cut4fun

I have seen tachs mounted in the covers themselves.
Also seen them Velcroed on to covers. I tune in the wood with a rubberband holding the tach in place.

There is a $20-$25 tach that makes it easier to do on several saws at a time.

okie

I think that is the same tach/ hourmeter that my lucas has on it. I'll have to check. I think thats a good idea you got there.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Dale Hatfield

I have replaced  batterys on small tachs that we carry for chainsaws in GOL training. I figger if it dont work anymore  what am i gonna hurt . They have a very tiny spot weld on the battery   pop it lose and  take battery to town.
But the tachs we had then were a 100 bucks from the saw dealers. Couldnt pitch em without trying
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Dave Shepard

Good point Dale, you were going to have to toss it anyway.

At work I'm known for my over the top perfectionist insanity. I got to thinking last night, if I put a tach on the saw, I'd have to have fuel and oil gauges too. ::) (Just kidding) (Maybe) ::) :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rebocardo

>  Estimated battery life is 5+ years — not replaceable.

Same guy probably worked at Apple on the iPod.

Cut4fun

The top tach is similar to the little tach I am talking about people are mounting right in the covers for milling etc.
The bottom tach is a good .5 second refresh rate tach that i would buy if I ever have to replace my stihl EDT-5 tach. The new stihl tachs suck and re to slow IMO of 1.5 seconds. The cheapie tachs are 2.5 second refresh rate, but when mounted in covers and used while in the wood they work fine. Just way to slow for carb setting IMO. I had one and it would scare you.

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/ENM_2_Cycle_Two_Stroke_Tachometer_Tach_p/enm%20pt15b2%20tachometer.htm

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/DTI_2_Cycle_Two_Stroke_Tachometer_Tach_p/dti%20tech-tach%20tt-20k%20tach.htm

Dave Shepard

I ordered the TT20k a couple of days ago, hopefully it will be here next week. I've got to tune the 036, which now has a little bit bigger hole in the muffler. ;D

Al_Smith

I don't own a tach that will go that high .Probabley a good thing ,I might scare myself . Not really I only have two saws that reach the ionosphere with rpms' anyway .One is tiny with a tuned pipe and the other has been slightly enhanced . ;)

Oh the old ear still works pretty good although there isn't much high tech to that old school method ,just little screwdriver .

You never know though maybe an inexpensive one will pop up when I least expect it .Lots of things do .

Dave Shepard

I'm going to try the by ear method this afternoon. We'll see how I do, hopefully won't have a deceased saw when I get done. :D

Cut4fun

Turn till you hear it 4 stroking a blubbering sound and then just turn back till it just clears up is my by the ear method for firewood cutting.
I only use the tachs to check my by ear tunes and to fine tune to the safe max I have ran before for gtg racing.

Al_Smith

I let it "cackle " about 1/4 the way through a 12 -16" oak round then I want to hear that power kick in .

Dave Shepard

I tried to play with it a few minutes ago, but I got no response from the high speed jet. I'm guessing I have to bypass the limiter caps?

Cut4fun

Very little room to adjust with  limiter caps on  :D. Need to pull them and dremel or cut the stops off first.

Thank You Sponsors!