iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band and chainsaw mills

Started by Rail-O-Matic, October 29, 2006, 04:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail-O-Matic

I wish our prices were as cheap as yours, especially around the medium sized 50 cc units, you know I have just done my sums and we could buy 2, Jonsered or husky saws, import them, pay the customs taxes and still have change compared to one at UK prices, its not fair man.  >:(
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

JimBuis

Hey there Rail,
I was in the U.S. over the summer, so I bought a Husky 3120 XP for $950 US and checked it with the airline in its original box as one of my checked bags and brought it back to Tokyo.  The same saw here sells for about $2,750 US.  I figured out that I could buy a round trip ticket from Tokyo to Los Angeles, buy a Husky 3120XP, bring it back to Tokyo, and still save about $1,000 over the Tokyo price.  That is the craziness of the international market place.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

customsawyer

You would be very tired by the time you got that saw to pay for itself. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

JimBuis

Quote from: customsawyer on October 29, 2006, 06:33:55 AM
You would be very tired by the time you got that saw to pay for itself. ;D

Not really.  One hardwood slab about 3" by 24" by 6", starts at about $500 depending upon the species and figure.

Jim

PawNature

Jim, just curious what are you doing in Toyko anyway.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

JimBuis

Quote from: PawNature on October 29, 2006, 08:36:53 AM
Jim, just curious what are you doing in Toyko anyway.

Woodshop Teacher at a school for missionary kids, Christian Academy in Japan, www.caj.or.jp.

Jim

Rail-O-Matic

Does anyone know of any Ripsaw dealers in any other countries in europe or where there is a second hand unit anywhere to be had.

I have worked out the price in Sterling against the USD and it comes out at only£ 840.00 to me, I have heard many good things about this mill.

Jim, you are a lucky guy to be able to pass on your skills as a teacher in Japan, I would give my left arm to go and teach pipe making over there, I have several customers there, no harm in dreaming though.
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

sawguy21

I have had customers purchase German built Stihl saws and take them to Germany, they are cheaper here than at home. Figure that one out. ::) A Canadian home builder who I have dealt with buys his equipment here and puts it in a container with the lumber going to northern Japan. Even domestic product is too costly over there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Rail-O-Matic

I know the prices of saws etc is a little off topic but, what I think you will eventually see happening is, the price of fuel will rise to a level so that the cheaper labour markets themselves will be unable to export thier products, then and only then will the home markets, drop thier prices to a reasonable level.

A saying my Grandfather told me fits into this scenario perfectly, he said the governments of today, think that we all owe them a living, and by making people work for nothing (IE the minimum wage) and giving others something for nothing will never ever work long term, this we see happening every day as businesses close down ten fold.

Now back to milling, how much does quarter sawn slow dried oak fetch on the open markets in the US, here in the UK it brings as much as £ 45.00 per cubic foot, the cheaper faster commercialy dried stuff brings only £ 25.00.

I need a Ripsaw, to complete my line up, any second hand ones for sale ?

Oh, still havent worked out how to post pictures, someone says you need to compress files ?.

Ron Wenrich

For conversion factors, that is from a low of $3.95/bf to a high of $7.13/bf.

For photo posting instructions, go here:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=12416.0

It will take you through the steps, and show you some nifty freeware that we use for photo compression.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!