iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Snake

Started by fishpharmer, December 26, 2016, 11:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Took a little drive in the country (neighborhood) and met up with this little fella...

First time i recall seeing a snake on Christmas day around here.  Just a harmless and beneficial gray rat snake.  It was moving mighty slow.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Texas Ranger

Bless his poor little cold heart.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dave Shepard

We only have snow snakes around here this time of year.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

I wish I had him in my barn!

I once shot a large cottonmouth swimming in a partially frozen beaver pond in N. Fla while duck hunting. To this day I have no idea why he was out moving around in that kind of weather.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ricker

Just how long is that snake?  We don't have snakes like that any time of year here.  I am not afraid of snakes but if I was raised where they have critters like that I just might be.

fishpharmer

Ricker, stretched out it was around 3 feet long.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ricker

That plenty long but that picture looked like 6 feet to me.  You rarely see see a two footer around here. 

LeeB

They get up to 6 feet. Get them around the feed barn all the time. I tried hauling a few off but they usually beat me back home. Others took a couple of days, even after hauling them over a mile or more. I would just leave them be but Lindy is scared to death of them. They can be a little aggressive too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

They won't hurt you - but they will make you hurt yourself!

Don't remember how many of my friends have shot holes in the bottom of their boats when a harmless water snake dropped in the boat with them. I know I have  broken more than my share of paddles messing with them, usually when they were minding their own business.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

[quote author=WV Sawmiller link=topic=93837.msg1446377#msg1446377 date=1482969450
   Don't remember how many of my friends have shot holes in the bottom of their boats when a harmless water snake dropped in the boat with them. I know I have  broken more than my share of paddles messing with them, usually when they were minding their own business.
[/quote]

I have told this story before, some where, but, my dad and I fishing in a paddle john boat, me on one end, him in the other.  We pulled up to a tall bluff, overgrown with brush, when a snake dropped into the middle of the boat.  Dad invented the live well, and I learned every cuss word now in my vocabulary.

fishpharmer

Texas Ranger

Rat snake slithered by my daughter and I yesterday on our walk.  Only 75 degrees, so he was active.

coxy

Planman1954

My nephew was near a pond by my house and saw this moccasin a few days ago. He killed it.  They are OUT since we are having warm weather. I've been watching a little more since then.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Makes the hair on my neck stand up.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!