iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hogs...

Started by Blake22, December 30, 2016, 09:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake22

Went deer hunting this afternoon....saw 3 does & 4 yearlings.  On  the way back out of the woods we ran into a pack of wild hogs.  Killed a sow & a boar       SAUSAGE to come...!!
Blake

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Peter Drouin

Wild Hog good to eat?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 31, 2016, 10:30:08 PM
Wild Hog good to eat?

The foresters answer, It Depends.  young are usually fairly decent, boars are strong.  But, the biggest problem is how it is handled once it is down.  They spoil rapidly. Sows can be strong as well.  But the handling is most important
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Peter Drouin

I can see where not being a farm pig where you can put it down and hung up to bleed out the right way. Something on the run with 10 holes in it might be a little ruff. ;D
:new_year:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

I think the Ranger's answer is pretty much spot on with any game animal. How it is handled and how it is cooked determines how it tastes. I've fed venison to many friends who swore they did not like it but they liked the "beef" steak or roast we were having. Did the same with some raccoon BBQ at a get together.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Blake22

The sow I took straight to the processor.  I'm getting the backstraps & tenderloins whole. The rest of will be made into sausage......1/2 fresh & 1/2 smoked.  The boar hog went to the buzzards......
Blake

rjwoelk

When I was at home on the farm dad butcher either a sow that was bred or a gilt (castrated male)  then you never got that pig smell in the meat. A neighbor  of ours always fed his butcher stock only oats for grain the last 3 months. Claimed better flavour.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

LaneC

Between feeding the hogs and coons, you are doing good to see a deer :D :D. I have read somewhere, that a mature hog can eat/destroy the same amount of everything that it takes 5 deer to eat/destroy. I don't know if that is true but I always took as many hogs out over deer as possible. You can usually tell if the boars are good when gutting them. However I took a big one 1 time, cleaned it quartered it, brought it out of the woods and my dog would not eat it. It smelled pretty bad when cleaning it, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Buzzards and coyotes have their purpose too ;D
Man makes plans and God smiles

Blake22

Quote from: LaneC on January 01, 2017, 11:38:50 AM
Between feeding the hogs and coons, you are doing good to see a deer :D :D. I have read somewhere, that a mature hog can eat/destroy the same amount of everything that it takes 5 deer to eat/destroy. I don't know if that is true but I always took as many hogs out over deer as possible. You can usually tell if the boars are good when gutting them. However I took a big one 1 time, cleaned it quartered it, brought it out of the woods and my dog would not eat it. It smelled pretty bad when cleaning it, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Buzzards and coyotes have their purpose too ;D

You are correct.....the hogs are a real problem.  At this one particular property I hunt a 50# bag of corn will last 2-3 days if I'm lucky.  Sometimes they'll come in and wipe it out in one night.  I have winter food plots and the deer keep coming. As far as the boar hogs go.... I kill enough sows to provide plenty of meat. I'm just not going to waste my time cleaning a nasty ole boar hog. ;D
Blake

WDH

Wild hogs can be really nasty.  The older mature ones can be too tough to eat.  Like chewing tanned leather, just does not taste as good as tanned leather.  Anything over 100 pounds I will not fool with. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Blake22

Quote from: WDH on January 01, 2017, 11:55:34 AM
Wild hogs can be really nasty.  The older mature ones can be too tough to eat.  Like chewing tanned leather, just does not taste as good as tanned leather.  Anything over 100 pounds I will not fool with.

Makes great sausage !!
Blake

dnalley

How do y'all clean those wild hogs, skin 'em or scald and scrape?  Helped process a good many domesticated hogs but never skinned one.  Probably not really too feasible to scrape a wild one.  Just wondering.

coxy

that how we use to do it scald them but no one around here does it anymore thy skin them iv skinned  a few its not to bad just need a good knife

Blake22

Quote from: dnalley on January 01, 2017, 03:47:16 PM
How do y'all clean those wild hogs, skin 'em or scald and scrape?  Helped process a good many domesticated hogs but never skinned one.  Probably not really too feasible to scrape a wild one.  Just wondering.

We skin 'em.  I take all mine to our local deer processor.  He makes great sausage and it sure is easy to just drop it off & go...
Blake

Thank You Sponsors!