iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small scale, low impact equipment advise

Started by Ludlowlad, March 14, 2020, 11:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ludlowlad

Quote from: John Mc on March 17, 2020, 11:42:59 PM
I assume you are looking for an off-road trailer.

Woody has already been mentioned. It and Metavic were two of the makes on my short list. I was looking for small and lightweight, and they had what I thought were two of the models that fit my needs best. Both companies make larger sizes that would be a better match for the tractors you mentioned.

Here's a link to Metavic's off road forwarding trailers. (Not too far a drive from the Expo.) You'd probably be looking at one of their 1400 - 1600 series (or possibly their 1150). Pete's Equipmentin Morrisville, VT sells them. I believe they have one of the 1150 series in stock.

Woody Equipment Log Loaders and Trailers

I hear Farma makes some good equipment as well, but I have not seen any of their stuff in our area yet.
Yea, off road trailer is the way forward unless something else comes along. 
Company wise seems to be 3 main competition:
-Metavic Looking at model 1150m14/1150m16 or a little larger 1400/1600 series with the longest reaching boom, hydraulic drive, 
-Woody Looking at model 11-74 or 13-78 trailers with ideally w/ 150 hdt telescopic 
-Farma Looking at model 6.3/6.7-9F w/ the hydraulic 4 wheel drive w/ gen 3 crane
Also seen some decent looking trailers from 
-Farmi Looking at model FT 11 or FT 13
Blue skies ahead

John Mc

The longer reach is a great convenience. However, if I had to choose between that and a built-in winch, I'd go with the winch. It makes for far less repositioning of the trailer than even the longest boom available. Of course, if you can find one with both at a reasonable price, that's the way to go.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ludlowlad

Quote from: John Mc on March 18, 2020, 03:30:28 PM
The longer reach is a great convenience. However, if I had to choose between that and a built-in winch, I'd go with the winch. It makes for far less repositioning of the trailer than even the longest boom available. Of course, if you can find one with both at a reasonable price, that's the way to go.
My plan currently sits that if I purchase a new machine then I would get a winch no matter what brand I decided on. If I find something reasonable used then I may have a different view on some of the requirements. 
Blue skies ahead

barbender

I've never used one of the small scale loaders, but my experience in operating an 18 tonne capacity forwarder on a daily basis tells me that trying to have too long of a reach with one of those loaders will be kind of fruitless- there's just not enough mass and power there ("it takes a pound to move a pound"). I would lean more towards a capable compact loader that is a good fit for the trailer you select, and have it equipped with a winch. Even with the big forwarder, at max extension (30') even if the machine will pick the load, it's a lot of strain on things. With a big log, I will reach out and grab one end, and just pull it in with the extension without lifting it, or only lifting one end. You could do the same with the winch, and save yourself about $400K😊
Too many irons in the fire

John Mc

Heard back from my friend in Lincoln, VT:

QuoteI have the Woody 130 with extended boom. Works good for me but if you are trying to move a good-sized 16' hardwood log, it's not big enough. I pull it with a JD 4066 which is a bit light also. I have to be careful not to load too heavy.
He said he's happy to show it to you, once the whole virus thing dies down. He will be bringing it to a lodge he runs in upstate New York in mid-May.

Hilltop366

I have thought that having a trailer/loader on the back and a hyd winch and blade on the front would be the best of both worlds, able to use the winch with the trailer on and able to easily drop the trailer to get around in tight spots and winch logs to the wood road. In practice this may not hold true.

Ludlowlad

Quote from: John Mc on March 19, 2020, 04:10:38 PM
Heard back from my friend in Lincoln, VT:

QuoteI have the Woody 130 with extended boom. Works good for me but if you are trying to move a good-sized 16' hardwood log, it's not big enough. I pull it with a JD 4066 which is a bit light also. I have to be careful not to load too heavy.
He said he's happy to show it to you, once the whole virus thing dies down. He will be bringing it to a lodge he runs in upstate New York in mid-May.
Yea this hole virus thing has over the course of a couple days drastically changed my non-forestry job. I am a traveling pilot, I got a call today that my next contract may not be honored because of the virus. 
Hopefully in a week, or few weeks things level out and I can go back to a green light on a trailer purchase. In the mean time I will just have to be happy with looking at pictures. 
Blue skies ahead

John Mc

Quote from: Ludlowlad on March 19, 2020, 10:20:02 PM
Yea this hole virus thing has over the course of a couple days drastically changed my non-forestry job. I am a traveling pilot, I got a call today that my next contract may not be honored because of the virus.
Hopefully in a week, or few weeks things level out and I can go back to a green light on a trailer purchase. In the mean time I will just have to be happy with looking at pictures.
Who do you fly for? My wife and I are pilots (not professionally, but I am a CFI). We leep a 172 at the Middlebury Airport.

Ludlowlad

Quote from: John Mc on March 19, 2020, 10:23:54 PM
Quote from: Ludlowlad on March 19, 2020, 10:20:02 PM
Who do you fly for? My wife and I are pilots (not professionally, but I am a CFI). We leep a 172 at the Middlebury Airport.
Most recently have been instructing out of Springfield, KVSF. In addition to instructing there I worked at the FBO and did my 30 months on the job experience to get me A&P (airframe and power plant). Currently in Oklahoma studying for the oral and practical. 
I have a job I'm Alaska that is suppose to start in a few weeks. Questionable how much business will be had because of people canceling there trips to Alaska for fishing and hunting. Also may not be able to even get there in a couple weeks depending on travel restrictions. 
We will have to see. 
Blue skies ahead !!! 
Blue skies ahead

Thank You Sponsors!