iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Persimmon

Started by woodbeard, January 14, 2005, 04:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

Does anyone know what causes persimmon sapwood to turn grey? I really like the effect, so I'm not trying to stop it, just wondering what makes it happen.
Thanks,
George

beenthere

Years ago, when a lot of golf club heads ('woods' they were called then  ;D) were made from persimmon, the kiln schedule the mfg's used kept the sapwood bright and nearly white (cream colored). So I suspect the grey color is mildew forming in the wet sapwood causing the color change.
However, I will admit that this is just a guess on my part. A light application of bleach or oxalic acid might brighten it up and if so, verify that it is mildew. I'd be curious to know if it does.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

I always heard you could tell what kind a winter you was going to have by cutting into a persimmon seed. I might a even tried it a time or two years ago.  I do know that if you eat a persimmon before it gets fully ripe it'll sure make you pucker your mouth up too. About the time they get fully ripe and a frost hits em they're pretty good though.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

woodbeard

Ya, I usually wait 'til they fall and get 'em before the other critters. The fruit, that is. If you wait til the tree falls, the wood is usually half gone, and the fruit long gone :D

The pieces I have drying right now have spots where the wood did not turn grey, and other interesting splotches, and more than surface deep. I wonder if dead stacking the boards right off the mill with some fresh sawdust between them for a week before stickering them would facilitate the process?

Fla._Deadheader

Absitively. ::)  Ya need to knock off the sawdust and sticker ASAP. We had some of the Magnolia dead stacked for 2 days after we opened it up. Turned grey with all sorts of colored splotches. ::)

Good thing it was junk. Just tryin to see if we wood have a problem. YUP, shore wood.  ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbeard

Yeah, I guess my approach is going against the grain  ;) of proper drying procedure, but I'm looking for interesting effects, here. Kinda like with spalted wood- it's something most people try to avoid making, but it's really pretty. :)

Thank You Sponsors!