iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

HK, you just have to remember that I was brand new to the world of chainsaws and it's all that I had ever seen done. Since then, (now that I can file a chain like mad) people try to use a chain that I've filed and they are like, man, what did you do to make my saw wake up and cut like that? My response is self evident!

Doing that keeps me in the shade when it's hot outside, and in the sun when it's cold 😁 Don't tell anybody, I might actually have to work! After all, I'm really starting to like doing it! 🤫
Trying harder everyday.

GAB

Quote from: Tacotodd on May 05, 2021, 01:35:41 PM
HK, you just have to remember that I was brand new to the world of chainsaws and it's all that I had ever seen done. Since then, (now that I can file a chain like mad) people try to use a chain that I've filed and they are like, man, what did you do to make my saw wake up and cut like that? My response is self evident!

Doing that keeps me in the shade when it's hot outside, and in the sun when it's cold 😁 Don't tell anybody, I might actually have to work! After all, I'm really starting to like doing it! 🤫
Will someone nearby kindly stop in and take his temperature.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tacotodd

@GAB, I never said it was the smartest thing to do. But with all the meds that my Drs have me on, it's probably for the best.

BUT, I DO like to run run a chainsaw!
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

need a chain-syringe to help get the world vaccinated.  lol  do bore cuts with a needle bar.   :o
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

One customer intentionally put his chain on backwards because he said that he would be cutting the logs from the underside.  I walked around to the other side of the truck so that he could not see me laughing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2021, 05:00:17 PM
One customer intentionally put his chain on backwards because he said that he would be cutting the logs from the underside. 
It might have been kinder of you if you have just explained that all he has to do for underside cutting is step around to the other side of the log. :D :D :D ;D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

you guys make this so hard, just roll the log over 180°  then reverse the chain and stand on the other side...  at night!   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I can tell you are the guy who walks up to hot, tired, disgusted driver with a flat tire and tells him "Its only flat on one side. Just drive on the other side." ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on May 05, 2021, 05:50:10 PM
you guys make this so hard, just roll the log over 180°  then reverse the chain and stand on the other side...  at night!   ;)
With all due respect to your education, wisdom, youth,  and experience Doc, I think you have that wrong, if he turns the log 180° then the top is on the bottom and you have to turn the saw upside down. I think it you flip it end for end you should have no problem upcutting.
 Howard, if I came up on that driver with the flat I think I would just ask "watcha got there, a flat tire?" This would allow him to vent all over me with witty retorts thus alleviating his stress. :)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Well it seems I haven't done anything dumb since way back on Monday. :D I wasn't going to share this, but today we have a chiro appointment so I am killing some time this morning, not wanting to work up a sweat.
 Anyway, last week I was cutting at a client's place and lost my good folding belt knife somewhere in the cutting area. I was really bummed, it was a good knife. I figure my felling belt rode up and lifted it off my pants belt someplace. On my next return visit, I brought my meatal detector and swept all the areas I had cut and bucked, but no joy. I'm really missing that knife. I have others but not near as easy to use as that one was. Here is the dumb part:
 I was back cutting again on Monday and had one of my other knives on my belt again. I did NOT take it off or move it when I put my felling belt on, but at one point during the morning I did use it. When I had that issue with the pinched bar I took the felling belt off while working on the saw. When I put the belt back on the get to work again, I noticed the knife was missing. So between the time I had used it and the time I missed it was only about an hours and I knew precisely where I had worked and walked. I grabbed the metal detector (still in the truck box) with high confidence, but try as I might I could NOT find this knife. It wasn't a really good one, but I am going to run out of working knives soon at this rate. I was frustrated to all get out. I went back to work and had that ash go sideways on me and called it a day when the rain started.
 The next day it was raining anyway and I went through my gear to clean, sharpen, and take care of things, along with the saw maintenance. When I pulled my felling belt out of the box I happened to look down into the axe scabbard and saw this:

You would think I would have noticed this:

But apparently not. :D So picture this, here I am stopped over with a metal detector sweeping the ground over a 1/4 acre area trying to find this knife while all the time it is in the scabbard on my belt hanging behind my butt. And I was wondering why my ax wasn't sitting right in the pocket, but ignored it. I figure when I took the belt off to fix the saw bar it must have slid it up off my pants belt and fell into the pocket. So I have the cheap knife but still can't find the good one, but I keep looking. Maybe as we drag out logs it will pop up out of the duff.
 I've got to come up with a different plan for knife storage while felling. I won't be without it, but I am running out of workable spares, I go through a few of these a year as hinges give up, belt clips break and other stuff, that is, until I got the good one and that has lasted.

firefighter ontheside

Knives with the clips are handy to have as we all know.  Its inconvenient to put your hand all the way down in your pants pocket to retrieve a knife when you need it.  On more than one occasion I have been missing my knife that was clipped to the inside of my pocket.  Also on more than one occasion I have found my knife perfectly clipped to my truck seat belt.  Did you look there?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Yup, and behind and under the seats, the couch at home, the bedroom floor, and all over the dang place. Still looking. ;D

thecfarm

Stop looking and it will show up!!! Worked for the other knife.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: thecfarm on May 09, 2021, 05:35:07 AM
Stop looking and it will show up!!! Worked for the other knife.  ;D
Or go looking for something else and you'll find it in stead. Also, buy a new one and the old one will show up.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

boonesyard

I was on a call as I was driving back from town and I drove right by my business partner that had broke down in her car. She tried calling my but I couldn't break free from the call right away. When we finally connected, I turned around and went back for her. I thought about what I was going to say when I got there ( I knew I was gonna get grief) and remembered something I had recently seem.

I got there, she got in the truck and said she couldn't believe I drove right by. She was standing by her car waving at me. I said "I don't think you should be upset with me for driving by, because I KNOW you've been contacted recently about your car's extended warranty".  ;D
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Andries

Not bad, boonesyard. Not bad.
Did she buy it?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Andries on May 09, 2021, 10:15:18 AM
Not bad, boonesyard. Not bad.
Did she buy it?
I think a better question may be "When do you get the bandages off?" :D ;D

sawguy21

I can picture an icy stare. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

samandothers

At least he was driving or she'd probably done some damage!

Creative but not sure if it was smart. 

Tacotodd

Even my wife thought that it was funny! I just hope that that's a joke, or you might be end up in a "hostile" work environment.
Trying harder everyday.

boonesyard

She did not buy it, but I did get a laugh out of her so it smoothed it out a little bit.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

hacknchop

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 09, 2021, 08:04:57 AMOr go looking for something else and you'll find it in stead. Also, buy a new one and the old one will show up. Jim Rogers

Long story short lost my phone Friday cancelled the sim card Friday night ,bought a new phone Saturday. Sunday morning Rhonda and I are sitting on the couch, Abigail my 18 month old grand daughter walks over and hands me the lost phone , so Rhonda got the new phone because I like my phone and it takes me forever to learn anything new.
Often wrong never indoubt

Chuck White

Another year or so and she'll be able to program your phone for you!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Rhodemont

Got the call from the tree service just before dark last evening that they could be here in the morning to take down the Maple that is hanging over the shop.  Not that big but way beyond my not dropping it on the roof.  So, in my haste to move the horse trailer that was parked in the work area I hooked up the truck and took off.  Forgot to disconnect the power cord to the trailer (brand new one last week). Ripped it off the trailer and trashed the end.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

GAB

Quote from: Rhodemont on May 14, 2021, 09:57:23 AM
Got the call from the tree service just before dark last evening that they could be here in the morning to take down the Maple that is hanging over the shop.  Not that big but way beyond my not dropping it on the roof.  So, in my haste to move the horse trailer that was parked in the work area I hooked up the truck and took off.  Forgot to disconnect the power cord to the trailer (brand new one last week). Ripped it off the trailer and trashed the end.
The phrase haste makes waste was coined many years ago.  However if you wish to accentuate it over and over go ahead and be my guest.  Before I move things I like to take a walk around said equipment and see if I forgot or missed something.  Frequently avoids hours of unproductive work, or opportunities to get reaquinted with what few tools I have.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!