iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Cost Chinese Laser Engraver For Marking Wood Projects

Started by 21incher, January 14, 2020, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 11, 2020, 04:53:16 PM
Wow, another first class video review.  Nice little perk you got there from reviewing the first burner!  Maybe I should start making video reviews for some free tools!  Nah, no way I could come close to your thoroughness and quality.

When you were tightening up the belts on each side of the gantry I was concerned about it not lining up with the toothed pulleys and causing it to rack/bind.  Nice that you showed how they thought about that and provided an adjustment.  That little micro switch on the circuit board - I know the one you mean, same on the little burner.  It just doesn't make a click at all.  I had to deal with it when I modded my burner.  

Nice poem but sad for the geese. :-\

Thanks. You should start a channel. Took me over 4 years and thousands of hours with with almost nothing in return to finally hit a point with constant offers and higher paying adds. I see several offers a day now but really would rather buy the item for review as I loose subscribers when posting sponsored videos. I do this for fun and basically now it takes up all my free time and many of my subscribers are like friends so I show them exactly what to expect as accurate as I can. I probably won't see anything else from Gearbest because I just called them out for lying about shipping dates and availability of items they sell as ready to ship that my subscribers are waiting months for. The Corona virus doesn't help but at least they should communicate with buyers the truth. 
NYC expanding out after 911 caused many stories like my wife's poem and was the reason that I left the Hudson Valley.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Well the Syracuse woodworking show has been canceled due to the new state mandate that there can be no events with over 500 attendees until the Corona virus is contained.  Hopefully they will have it in the fall.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

ljohnsaw wanted to give you an update as I just got the rotary assembly to go with my lasers. It does a nice job. 
YouTube

Ljohnsaw

Pretty neat!  So I think I understand the concept.  The rollers are a specific size so the software is rotating them for whatever mm or inches necessary and your work just goes along for the ride.  If that is correct, other than the focal distance, you don't need to make any (software) adjustments when you change the size of the dowel.  So your next mod will be to make it work on spheres? ;)  All you need is  some omni wheels.

What did that cost?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

That is correct.  It is setup to match the linear movement steps per mm so you just draw the artwork based on the circumference no matter what the diameter is. I will be 3d printing adapters for things like that.  I paid  $69 to get it faster shipped from Hong Kong but it still took a month longer then stated at checkout.  shipped from  China is 10 bucks less. There is also a 2nd generation of these lasers comming out soon.

aigheadish

This is a neat thread and I didn't realize that there were laser engravers this inexpensive. 

Can I have a "year later" update? Is everything still working? 

I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing, but I'm decent with computers... Is it easy enough to get started as someone totally new?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

They both still work good and haven't had problems. If you use Facebook ( I don't ) Ortur has a large group of users with a lot of cool projects. I understand that the lasers may not last the 8000 hours they say and any problems take a long time to solve with the slow shipping of replacement parts from China. You must learn to do firmware updates and I had to buy Lightburn software ( $40.00) to make them easier to use. They can blind you and catch things on fire so always wear good glasses and never run unattended. A great way to get started laser engraving and newer generations are being released soon to make them easier to use. They are like 3d printers that take some trial and error to get the settings down and much fine tuning for the best results. 

aigheadish

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! I'm about to get the 20w Master 2! I don't know that I really need that big stage but I imagine I'll be annoyed if I find out that I do... It seems like it'll be a fun tool to mess around with. 

My wife just got a Cricut a couple weeks ago, so this may be a nice complement to that also.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

Right now they are getting ready to release a new model with better controller with off line capabilities and longer life fixed focus laser with adjusting slide that focuses better. Covid has pretty much halted everything over there anymore but I think it will be a better second generation unit when they finally release it. I use a Cameo 3 for all kinds of graphics and labels also.

Stephen1

21incher, we purchased the 20w ortur and the liteburn software. This is a nice unit. 
We are tring to use it to burn a hole 3mm deep. Cathy wants to drop in  crystals, then epxy over them.
Is there a way to burn deeper? 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

21incher

Quote from: Stephen1 on February 01, 2021, 09:40:11 PM
21incher, we purchased the 20w ortur and the liteburn software. This is a nice unit.
We are tring to use it to burn a hole 3mm deep. Cathy wants to drop in  crystals, then epxy over them.
Is there a way to burn deeper?

I know my 15 watt ones will only go about 2.5mm deep but I was told to go deeper focus it at the bottom of the cut which would mean you may want to focus it with maybe 2 mm spacers under the feet then remove them to burn. Probably going to take a couple slow full power passes for that deep. I think the edges may burn also. The depth also varies with the type of wood. Darker wood usually burns deeper as these lasers don't do as well on lighter reflective surfaces. 

aigheadish

Do you guys, that are running this sort of thing, have any links to especially good tips and/or tricks and ideas pages or communities? Upon searching for reviews there seems to be a ton of info, some seems pretty good, some does not.

21incher

Quote from: aigheadish on February 02, 2021, 09:32:43 AM
Do you guys, that are running this sort of thing, have any links to especially good tips and/or tricks and ideas pages or communities? Upon searching for reviews there seems to be a ton of info, some seems pretty good, some does not.

Like I  said in the first reply to you Facebook is the only place with a big group and I don't  use Facebook.  If you don't  have a lot of time to figure out the settings, debug,  and get software setup they are probably not for you. If you think  it is completely  plug and play then you would definitely give them a poor review. Dealing with companies in China can also be an issue and frustrating.  But it's the lowest cost way to try laser engraving.  If you want a turnkey solution with support and a quality laser then plan on spending about $8k to get started 

doc henderson

my helix with 60 W, and 18 x 24 inch capacity.  came with a stand with shelves and a rotary attachment was 21K.  by epilog assembled and supported in Denver, CO.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

Thanks @21incher , I'm not a facebag user either... I understand what I'm getting into as far as learning curve and user friendliness. I expect there to be a lot of poor results as I figure out how things work. 

While I haven't watched more than a review of the machine a YouTube channel TechDIY, I think, has at least one really good video describing the machine and how it works on a high level. Maybe once it's delivered I'll start searching out more info and I'll post some links.

21incher

Actually I was contacted by Gearbest yesterday and they are shipping one of the first next generation fixed focus 20 watt lasers to make a video about retrofitting it to my unit so I will get to see If it works any better. I use them in most of my project videos and have not had a problem that they didn't solve with firmware updates. They use several of us as free testers sending out first prototypes and continually update production models. From what I am seeing now the biggest issue seems to be people adding exhaust fans that create a big static charge and blow the motherboards so be sure to earth ground the frame when you add an exhaust system to handle the toxic fumes. Also don't trust the glasses that come with them.

Stephen1

Quote from: 21incher on February 03, 2021, 08:40:15 AM
Actually I was contacted by Gearbest yesterday and they are shipping one of the first next generation fixed focus 20 watt lasers to make a video about retrofitting it to my unit so I will get to see If it works any better. I use them in most of my project videos and have not had a problem that they didn't solve with firmware updates. They use several of us as free testers sending out first prototypes and continually update production models. From what I am seeing now the biggest issue seems to be people adding exhaust fans that create a big static charge and blow the motherboards so be sure to earth ground the frame when you add an exhaust system to handle the toxic fumes. Also don't trust the glasses that come with them.
Don't trust the glasses? What kind of glasses should I get?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

21incher

Quote from: Stephen1 on February 03, 2021, 11:31:43 AM

Don't trust the glasses? What kind of glasses should I get?
I found some on Amazon. I went with one that is OD 6+ 445nm and 20 watts rated . They are orange color that is the proper color for this wave length. The green ones that come with them are the wrong color for proper protection. 

aigheadish

Bought from Gearbest on 2/1/2021, my laser finally showed up, on the porch, at the compound, last night. I got home, started setting it up, and proceeded to spend the next 7.5 hours screwing around with it. After watching 3 LightBurn tutorials I was doing some neat stuff and pretty easily! The learning curve isn't as bad as I expected and LightBurn does some really cool tricks. I can't wait to do more! Here are some simple things I engraved last night. The first is on a sample of tiny plywood they send with the laser, the second is on some cardboard/pressboard stuff I have covering my workbench and it took to engraving very well! 

Are there any good solutions for mounting it to a table top? The only issue I had was as the laser moved around the whole machine would shake enough to move out of position and cause blur. I slowed the laser down which helped immensely but I assume that'll have an effect on details as I learn and burn more.

Thanks for this post. Running this laser, and creating stuff for it to burn, is the most fun I've had in a while!

21incher

They are still having shipping problems and shortages due to covid plus people trying to spend stimulus money putting demand through the roof. Lightburn is a really easy to use package with a good support forum for Ortur users. I just cut some corner blocks to locate it. This is an old video showing them for the old laser that needed it to be raised the material thickness.  Laser Station For My ORTUR Laser Master Engravers - YouTube   Running way to fast if it's moving like that and the motion sensor can shut it down in the middle of the print messing it up so you should definitely add some locators. They are fun and capable of doing a nice job once you get the settings right. Have fun, add ventilation to the area, and be careful you don't burn toxic materials. 

aigheadish

21incher

Looking at your picture it looks like you added quite a bit of extra mass to the head with your air assist that may be the source of your moving around problem and could cause accuracy issues.

aigheadish

That's entirely possible. I'm running at 5700 mm/m now with no shaking, so I think I'm OK, but I also went and got a little HF cart today and plan to recreate your setup. 

I'll be interested to see how different woods go, however, this is complex. I'm using balsa now, bought from a local "RC" show I didn't mean to go to, and it's burning very light. The cardboard and little plywood samples burned nice and dark.

How do you suggest determining what the correct speed and power should be? Just have a ton of sample wood around to see what it does? 

aigheadish

@21incher - Did you see that GearBest is no longer a thing? I'd sent them a note about the $70 cylinder jig to hook up to the laser that I bought from them, in February, that still hadn't shown up. They replied to my note but when I went to the site to see the reply I got a 404. I tried again and again "url doesn't exist" showed up. I went searching around for info to find they shut down, and seemingly stole my money.

21incher

Quote from: aigheadish on September 27, 2021, 02:44:23 PM
@21incher - Did you see that GearBest is no longer a thing? I'd sent them a note about the $70 cylinder jig to hook up to the laser that I bought from them, in February, that still hadn't shown up. They replied to my note but when I went to the site to see the reply I got a 404. I tried again and again "url doesn't exist" showed up. I went searching around for info to find they shut down, and seemingly stole my money.
Wow I had no idea they shut down. I have been trying  to get paid the affiliate money they owe me for a couple  months now with no luck so looks like I am out a couple grand now. Contact your  credit card company or PayPal depending on which you used to pay and they should give a refund of the amount charged but never shipped under their guarantees.  I just found something about  them claiming bankruptcy after being in business  for 15 years because of product shortages from the pandemic.  I wonder who will be next to go.

Thank You Sponsors!