iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What glue for cutting boards?

Started by Brad_bb, September 20, 2023, 10:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

When making an end grain cutting board, what glue should be used?  ...So it doesn't come apart over time.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

TroyC

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: boonesyard on September 20, 2023, 11:55:42 AM
Tite Bond 3, it's water proof
That's what I used, and it lasted for many years.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

firefighter ontheside

TB 3 is probably best.  I have used TB2 with no problems.  It is water resistant.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom K

I've also used TB 2 with no problems, and some boards are over 20 years old now.

It's mainly just for convenience though. TB 2 is my go to glue and what I stock in the shop. I just use what I have on hand.

Jeff

Okay, this aint helpful, but I've wanted to post it since I saw the title of the topic.

"I use saws for cutting boards"
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

You are right, it's not helpful. It IS dang funny though! :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Brad_bb

I must have missed some other discussion because I don't get what Jeff said. 

My go to in the shop is TB I, I had to throw out some TB II that got too old.  I'll just have to buy it when I go to do it.

I was also thinking about this when it comes to end grain flooring.  I've been saving a lot of timber cut offs, mostly white oak and Walnut, but I'll end up having a bunch of Ash and cherry too.  I might wand to glue up some sections of a pattern when I go to do it.  I'm not sure of the best thickness to make the pieces for an end grain floor.

Dan_Shade

(Jeff uses a saw to cut boards, he doesn't use glue to cut them) 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Hilltop366

One thing not mentioned for for cutting boards (for the kitchen not sawing them) is the glue should be food safe which I believe Tightbond III is.

doc henderson

The company is great.  I have called and I recall that it is fine if cured (dry).  As well, I buy by the gallon and refill containers.  I like their 16 once colored bottles (to let you know what version it is, 1, 2, or 3, or dark.)  I wanted to buy new caps.  they are not available for sale, but they sent me a package with about 4 of each color to replace the worn-out ones.  good company.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Yupper, glue won't cut boards..   :snowball: 8) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

TB 3 has only been around for about 20 years and I have been making end grain cutting boards for a eons I think.  Before TB 3 I used resorcinol, epoxy, and TB 2.  With TB 2 I had a couple boards open at the glue joints after a few years.  I don't know if it was the glue, the user, or me that was the problem.

Today I only use TB 3 on anything that will see water.  TB 1 for everything else since I'm cheap.  Another step....even though the glue will set in 20 minutes and I can take it out of the clamps I don't.  Leave it overnight in the clamps for most projects.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brad_bb

Quote from: Jeff on September 21, 2023, 07:55:48 AM
Okay, this aint helpful, but I've wanted to post it since I saw the title of the topic.

"I use saws for cutting boards"
OH!  I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake lately.  I've noticed a lot of changes after 50.

RPF2509

A cutting board given to my brother as a wedding present is now going on 35 years - Titebond II.   III would be even better.  Don't put it in the dishwasher!
I think treating it with butcher block oil is the key to keeping the water out.

Thank You Sponsors!