iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backyard Wild Cherry Vanity

Started by 21incher, March 12, 2020, 11:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Here is a project that I just finished. It grew in my backyard. Love the smell of working with cherry

It's a little taller then the old one so I hid a step for my granddaughter under it

Also made the Mirror and LED light fixture

It has been a fun winter project.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

stavebuyer

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

trimguy

samandothers

Great job and nice added details.  What finish?

thecfarm

Good idea on the step for the littles ones. Like the light too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DWyatt

That is a beautiful vanity! I just with cherry would stay how it looks when fresh cut like that, I am not a big fan when it starts to darken.

WDH

That vanity top is especially nice!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Thanks everyone
Quote from: samandothers on March 12, 2020, 09:45:39 PM
Great job and nice added details.  What finish?

I use Polycrylic on everything. It's the only finish that my wife can stand the out gassing from with her chemical sensitivity syndrome.  I used it on our butcher block island years ago that takes quite a beating and it has stood up well. The only thing I don't like about it is the uv blocking that keeps cherry from turning the deep red color.
Quote from: thecfarm on March 13, 2020, 06:56:34 AM
Good idea on the step for the littles ones. Like the light too.

My grandkids always needed a stool  so I figured might as well built in a hidden one they could just pull out. Those new LED strips are fun to play with and extremely bright.
Quote from: DWyatt on March 13, 2020, 07:45:34 AM
That is a beautiful vanity! I just with cherry would stay how it looks when fresh cut like that, I am not a big fan when it starts to darken.

With Polycrylic it doesn't darken much. The uv protection in it holds the color.
Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2020, 07:47:03 AM
That vanity top is especially nice!

That was one of those short less then perfect slabs I had to cut up and piece back together.  luckily it was thick enough to resaw the side t&g panels off so I could match that to the top.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

21incher, I have never used polycrylic, I use verathane on everything. Is there a difference? I guess i'll find out soon enough, I just picked up a pint to try it. I am hoping it may be clearer than the verathane. Just wondering if you know the difference, if any. You do some powerfully beautiful work!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

21incher

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 13, 2020, 12:54:42 PM
21incher, I have never used polycrylic, I use verathane on everything. Is there a difference? I guess i'll find out soon enough, I just picked up a pint to try it. I am hoping it may be clearer than the verathane. Just wondering if you know the difference, if any. You do some powerfully beautiful work!

I have no idea if there is a difference.  I use the gloss version because it seems the clearest.  Polycrylic is just basically a plastic coat that I don't think is a polyurethane at all. There is no chemical bond between the coats so a good 320 sanding is required for a mechanical bond  between coats. After 3 coats I let it dry then sand it  with 320 and apply 2 coats of Johnson's paste wax with 0000 steel wool initially. Then it takes about 90 days to cure to the point that it can be properly sanded up to about 2000 grit and rubbed out. It's definitely not like working with solvent base poly or epoxy that cures and can be polished out quickly. Thanks  it's amazing what grows in the back yard.

Bruno of NH

Superior work as you always do
Sir
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 13, 2020, 09:20:56 PM
Superior work as you always do
Sir

Thanks Bruno. It's all about having the time to complete projects like this and learning from past mistakes.

Thank You Sponsors!