iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer Jacks for EZ40

Started by Jstier, February 09, 2021, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstier

I'm going to add some swivel trailer jacks. I have seen a couple of you add them on to an EZ40. I have 6 jacks that are 2000lbs limit each. I was thinking two on each end and 2 in the middle. Do you think 6 will be sturdy enough only being 2000lbs each. Should I add another set in the middle and make it 8 total and evenly spaced. The goal is to keep the trailer kit on and be up off the ground further. 

ladylake

My Tk uses 6, 2 on the ends and 2 in the middle.  You can mount the end ones a couple feet in from the ends.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Nebraska

12,000 pounds of jack is probably good because realistically  I don't think you will tackle very many 8000 pound logs.  You can pull the tires up on some blocks and have the axle support a little load as well.

hopm

Please post pics...I plan to put some on my ez as soon as I can stop pushing it.😂😂

TroyC

They are easy to make. I used 2x4 steel tubing, jacks from HF. Bolted tubing to mill frame so they can be removed if needed, welded swivel to ends of tubing. 6 jacks are plenty as the mill is designed originally to sit on 6 pads. The channel on this mill is beastly! Be sure to attach jacks low enough so carriage clears it when cutting :). Jacks swing up for traveling. Use side crank jacks. Since the jacks are farther out than the original support screws it actually makes the mill a little sturdier when on the jacks. Takes about 10-15 minutes to lower jacks and level mill.

farmfromkansas

Troy, do you get any twist from your frame, as it is built from channel iron?  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

ladylake

There is no such thing as a frame that doesn't twist,  that's why they need good support.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

TroyC

If you raise a corner way too much, yes, it will twist. Any steel will twist with enough force applied. The EZ40 rails are 6" heavy channel and all welded.  It is much stronger than lighter angle iron rails and a little more forgiving. The rails are 1 piece so they can't slip out of alignment.

Level the center of mill with level crossway across rails. Then put level parallel on a rail and adjust all 4 jacks on the ends. Check by walking around and going across and parallel with level and make final tweaks. Finally lower the tongue jack for a little extra stability. Not nearly as bad as it sounds. I added a couple of stick-on bubbles near the tongue for roughing it in.

Note: leave at least 1 bolt locking the carriage to the rails while leveling. It is amazing how fast the carriage will roll towards the low end  :).

farmfromkansas

I put jacks on my Cooks mp32, as the old clamp type stands would slip down.  Solider, doesn't get out of adjustment.  Welded the pieces to the 3x6 tubing, and it warped.  Luckily found a fellow who knew how to straighten it using a rosebud.

DON FRANK

For those of you that have your ez 40 on a trailer, how do you like the working height? I have only had mine 6 months and set up temporarily on blocking so the top of the rail is about 18" off the ground until I get my mill shed built. 
  I did not plan on doing any mobile milling so I didn't purchase the wheel kit. I'm rethinking that and  trying to decide whether to put it on wheels or set it up  permanetly on blocks or rails. I'm over 6' so I'm thinking I'd like the height raised up. My apologies for getting off topic with this question.

farmfromkansas

I don't have a mill shed, just put a ball on one of the forks of my skidsteer, and roll it out when I want to saw.  Does not take long to set up, and usually put it in the shed at night.  Had some thieves steal some stuff at the farm, so now I hide the hitch to the mill.  Cops said to make it hard for thieves, and put up cameras.

TroyC

I really like using mine with the wheels on it. Perfect height for taking boards off, no bending over. The head raise/lower crank is about head high but not an issue. I'm 5'10 and getting shorter.  :)  I usually slide the boards off the mill and sticker them on a few sawhorses. Then use tractor forks to move stickered stacks. This way I avoid a lot of bending over.

You might save a few dollars making a trailer cradle for it but you probably won't save a lot unless you have small tires, springs, and spindle/hubs laying around. It would not be hard to fabricate. I've never taken my wheels off but I think there are only 4 bolts that hold the cradle on.

Thank You Sponsors!