iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer lead time ridiculous. Looking for alternatives

Started by squarpeg, April 16, 2021, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarpeg

Well finally got the money to buy a mill for this summer. Was going to buy the woodmizer LT15 on a trailer with power feed, or the LT28 with power feed.  They told me 55 weeks on the LT28 or 44 weeks on the LT15.. Why are they even advertising? I have to find something else.  Is this an industry issue? Thoughts on a different equivalent mill? Thanks

doc henderson

this is global issue.  all the manufactures are way out.  cannot get materials or parts made.  cannot find more help that is qualified and wants to work.  Used mills are being sold for more than the price of a new mill.  The girl who does my wife's hair told her that her wheeler dealer husband had a bit too much to drink, and bought a used mill.  My wife said she was complaining, and told her he can prob. double his money.  with the price of lumber demand has gone up.  just like the TP shortage.  i do not think people were doing more #2, but maybe politicians were doing less since they seem to be full of it.   :)  .  I am told there is a new car shortage due to lack of components.  the price of used vehicles has also gone up.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rojen

Wow, I thought 25 weeks on their moulders was crazy. 
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

Gere Flewelling

I have a similar sized Cook Saw Manufacturing, Model MP-32 mill with power feed and power lift and lower.  Not the Woodmizer you are looking for, but every bit as good in my opinion.  Not sure, they may be a little quicker on the build.  Worth checking on.  If you buy one, you won't regret it.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

squarpeg

I sent an inquiry to cook.  I am in Vermont. Was hoping I'd have dealerships within 5hr drive

doc henderson

there are some used mills on the sawmill exchange (link at the bottom of this page).  If lumber prices come down, might be some good prices on used in 3 or 4 years.  sales are up 10 x (not 10%,  10 x like a thousand percent.)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

All manufactures are having huge unprecedented wait times. The bus is full. Should of been at the corner earlier, now we all have to wait for the next bus. :) If you are not already on a wait list, and odds are you will have to pay to be on any list, you simply are going to wait even longer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

Crazy times to navigate for manufacturers. How do you really manage an upswing in business like that?
Too many irons in the fire

squarpeg

240b

ordered a mill an an edger tuesday 
itll be ready first week of june....
next year    i should have all the site work done an buildings up
by than   :D 

doc henderson

a month ago it was stated in weeks, and now they are using months.  and of course that far out with variables who knows, hopefully sooner rather than later, but anything is possible.

Tam-i-am

Thought I might give you a look at the other side.  Manufacturing is crazy now.  Very hard to navigate through these crazy times!

We are having trouble sourcing US made winches, couplers and wheels.  We are currently 3 months out on arches and that is only a best guess based on info from our suppliers.  I have had winches and tires on order since Nov.  Every time we call to check on our order it gets pushed out.

Even on the parts we make we rely on outside vendors for all the coatings we use.  These vendors used to be able to turn parts around in a couple of days but now we are experiencing long lead times as these vendors are very busy (manufacturing up and competitors closing).

Then there is the whole problem of employees.  With Covid everyone is experiencing lots of absenteeism!  Every time someone is exposed, they have to miss work until they test negative.  Covid went through our facility last year - it was over six weeks before everyone was back to work.  Skeleton crews can only do so much.

We can't get workers now as it is better to stay home and collect from the government.  We have ads out everywhere and can't get so much as a reply.  

As a consumer I get that it is frustrating but I do believe these manufacturers are doing the best they can.  

Tammy

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

btulloh

Mapleflats just put a swingmill up for sale on here. Wonder how long before somebody jumps on that. 
HM126

squarpeg

Timber king - *We are now taking reservations for 2022 delivery. Price shown is a projected 2022 price and is subject to change.

Woodland says Aug. 1st  although they seem to only have smaller mills.

Jeff

They only sell smaller mills. I guess though, that would be a matter of perspective.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

3:00 PM - just sat down to eat lunch, started at 0600 this morning.  Have had three "orders" left on my voice mail today already, one drop in who put down the required deposit, and another guy who said he would have to "look around" because I didn't have exactly what he wanted right now - good luck.  That's only on the sawmill side of the business.  

Two employees out today, zero replies to help wanted ads, and another guy who texted then called to see if by chance the order he placed last week was ready yet.....

Be grateful they answered the phone and gave you hope.  You can always build your own mill, if you can get the components.....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

John S

I tested positive on Tuesday, and am pretty sure that I am not the only one here who has.  Hoping to get back in the swing of things by the end of next week.  The human element is what these delays in manufacturing started with.  Good luck to all!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

tacks Y

Take a look at Facebook market place a few used mills on there.

ohiowoodchuck

Woodmizer told me 26 weeks when I put down my deposit. I fine with that. Like Jeff mentioned earlier, everybody's got the same idea right now. Probably be a bunch for sale when lumber goes back down. This will be my first mill. I'm excited to have it. I got a lot tree stacked up to mill for my own lumber. I wish I would of been to the corner to meet the bus sooner but that's my fault. It will give me time to get the pad poured etc. I hope to never buy lumber again unless it's treated wood. 50-60 years ago, you went to the sawmill and bought your lumber to build your house with anyway. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

barbender

I'm hoping to ride the ol' '97 out through all of this and then update on the backside when all the used mills start to flood the market😁
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

I speculate that this bubble is just like all other tulip bulb frenzies that came before it. Wait a year, itll be going the opposite direction and people will be begging you to take over payments on their like new WM
Praise The Lord

Ianab

Which is why the mill manufacturers aren't really increasing capacity, even if they were able to find more staff / space. 12 months down the track the bubble bursts and they are left with a new factory to pay for and staff getting laid off. 

If you think the demand was a long term thing, then you try and increase production. If it's just a "blip", you just carry on best you can.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

The firearm industry went way in debt on big expansions to accomodate an expected hillary win in 16 that backfired bigtime and brought the trump slump.. Guns were sold near cost just to get them off the inventory rolls. Theyd smartened up after the obama boom and went to as many low wage temps as possible rather than a permanent crew with bennies.

Praise The Lord

JBlain

I am feeling lucky I found a used 2010 lt40 hydraulic with 135 hours on it.  It had a few issues due to lack of use but was basically new and kept in a barn.

Tried milling a huge walnut log on it for the first time today.  Ended up splitting it in half with the chainsaw after a lot of wrestling with a loader.  Gorgeous wood.
Josh

Wassup8687

I was told last week by one of the workers at Woodmizer that they're working 24 hours a day.

I found my LT15 on Facebook Marketplace.

Thank You Sponsors!