The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: People say the darndest things  (Read 3997 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: People say the darndest things
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2021, 10:27:40 AM »
I could intimately bash poor decisions and cultures at S&W all day because my dad, brother and i did about 70 combined years there.  But from what i hear from guys who went to other publically traded firearm manufacturers, it was same stuff, different name on the building.  Oh well. They fed us a lot of meals, 401k contributions and mortgage payments and i just have to be thankful for that.  

The cultural barrier between engineers and floor workers is an issue everywhere.  

I still miss a handful of great guys in the air conditioning who got down and dirty like the rest of us.  The problem is those 3 guys who are fixing the mess of 20 others every week, wont live forever.  And when theyre gone the brand slips another notch back in quality.  It cant compete with cheaper foreign offerings and if the quality is similar the brand will eventually fold. a few thousand more americans needing mortgage deferments.  The robber barrons paid in stock wont be in trouble naturally but the normal people who get dirty and really need the money will.  I guess my criticisms are mostly out of love and concern for all those mouths that a plant feeds. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2021, 10:55:24 AM »
As some of you know I'm a dumb farm boy (dairy) with an associates degree in ME (design major) and a BSME.
I did time in the machine tool industry, power, industrial controls, avionics, and automotive industries.
What some of you fellas have said I totally totally agree with. 
I've seen some so called engineers who had a lot more than a chip on their shoulders I thought they had the whole semi and pup trailer fully loaded.
I spent some time in field service working on coal crushers.  Little ones with up to 900HP 900 RPM motors.
Working in the field with different crews (my work area was the USA & Oh Canada) was quite educational.  A lot of different cultures.

One day in the office I was pondering one of my fixture designs trying to figure out how to fasten it to the machine to cut a 1.75" wide keyway on a 19-58' conical surface when a  senior member asked me what I was doing.  When I told him he said don't worry about that let the guys in the field figure it out.  I ignored him and it was a good thing as a few weeks later my supervisor's supervisor told me you designed it and purchased the equipment to do the job your going to debug it.  The first one took a week of 2 shifts per day, the last 4 took 8 to 12 hours each.  Yup there was a learning curve.

I spent some time as the engineering to manufacturing liaison at two companies.  I saw a lot of drawings that highlighted inexperience.

When the machinist with 25 or more years called and said I think you have an error my comment was what drawing and I'll be down as soon as I can get a copy.  Dat blame it many times they were right.
GAB

W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2021, 12:07:33 PM »
I am shaking my head at some of your experiences. I worked in the helicopter industry in ground support for a number of years and was frequently butting heads with poseurs and wannabe rock stars. I had a pilot come to me with a design for a long line carousel I knew the ground crew wouldn't be happy with but he persisted and got approval from upstairs so I built it. When it didn't work as planned all the fingers pointed at me. ::)
They built a beautiful new hangar at one of our high profile bases, it was a work of art. At the grand opening they attempted to roll in a medium lift a/c but the doorway was too low, they had forgotten to allow for the extra height needed when it was raised on the ground handling wheels.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2021, 01:10:08 PM »
His request approved, the CNN News photographer quickly used a cell phone to call the local airport to charter a flight. He was told a twin-engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport. Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a hanger. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and shouted, 'Let's go'. The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind and took off. Once in the air, the photographer instructed the pilot, 'Fly over the valley and make low passes so I can take pictures of the fires on the hillsides.' 'Why?' asked the pilot. 'Because I'm a photographer for CNN' , he responded, 'and I need to get some close up shots.' The pilot was strangely silent for a moment, finally he stammered, 'So, what you're telling me, is . . . You're NOT my flight instructor?'
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2021, 04:59:11 PM »
Lynn,

Wrong thread. I think you meant to post that last one over in the Jokes. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
Nice lady called a couple of days ago.  Wanted me to saw a oak door in two, horizontally.  She wanted to make a Dutch two piece door.  I took 10 minutes  to tell her why I could not on the sawmill but did tell her I could do it with a circular saw.  Gave her a price which she thought was reasonable.  Since she lived quite a distance away I suggested she try to find somebody local.

No call back, so another big dollar loss! :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2021, 08:12:27 PM »
I think you meant to post that last one over in the Jokes
No actually sawguy21 opened the hanger door so I slid dat airplane in, sorta like getting to food.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2021, 09:27:48 PM »
Ready, set, grits.
Psalm 37:16

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2021, 10:23:33 PM »
Well today I read we have a chicken shortage.... Not around here.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Online jcbrotz

• Share Post
    • Brotzmans Woodworks
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2021, 04:39:39 AM »
Lady on the phone;   Hi, How much would you charge me to make 6 sheets of plywood with your sawmill ?  

Me;  I sell sawdust in bags for $20 each, but you will have to glue it together yourself.  

I think i am going to need to hire someone who is better at customer service than i am.
Kinda like when your measuring to build a kitchen and the customer asks. How are you going to install the cabinets without removing the countertop? Uhm your kitchen is going to look like it threw up on itself before this is all done lollol
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »
One day in the office I did the darndest thing, oh I was bad.
The engineer, that sat to the N of me, was toying with a spring and a detent ball (automotive air control parts) and I noticed that there was a gap between his desk and the partition.  Said to myself those parts are going through that gap.  So I pulled out that mornings large section of the WSJ and waited.  Sure enough the parts went down and under the desk he goes to retrieve them with his butt a bit above the floor.  I grabbed the newspaper section and got as close to his butt as I dared and tore that WSJ section as fast as I could and through it in the waste paper basket as I sat down.  Out he comes, backs up against the partition and fells his backside then leaves.  I'm 99% sure he went to the bathroom to check out his clothing before coming back.  He never gave me another opportunity like that.  However, the look on his face was worth it.
GAB

W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2021, 10:32:00 AM »
 :D :D
I hadta let one go last year. They had moved in a couple of years prior, completely landscaped the yard, very nice, then wanted a large garage/manshed built. The footprint was out of level by about 6' so some major foundation work. Very pushy about the timeline. Everything outside the footprint was "off limits" so no heavy equipment. This is gonna be a major concrete pumper truck job was my first thought. I told him we would do our best but we would certainly break a few eggs before we were done. "Oh I'll bill you if you do". "I think not  :D". I drew the plans, got it through permitting and the truss shop, made the siding and let a younger guy with more patience deal with them, everyone was happy.

The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2021, 11:57:41 AM »
Gerald,

You are a baaad man! I love it. :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
For about 6 months at random intervals while doing my PM  rounds in the pulp mill, I would return to my electric scooter to find never seize on my handlebars. I didnt say anything, just waited and watched to see who was there and who was in vacation when it happened. I had it narrowed down to 2 guys and had a good idea which it was. One night on graveyard it happened and I wasnt in the mood for it. I got my full can of never seize and painted the steering wheel, key, all levers on the forklift. Went upstairs to the bathroom outside of the control room and painted the handle on the camode, door handle to the camode, the urinal handle, sink knobs and the door handle going out. Then I snuck around and got both door handles going back into the control room. Kinda funny, my scooter never got never seized again 🤔
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bad Things happen to "Good People"

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 09:48:40 PM
by Magicman
xx
Things that make me mill happy, and things that don't!

Started by Nate Surveyor on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 07:33:30 PM
by Engineer
xx
Some people don't get it.

Started by hackberry jake on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post October 29, 2012, 08:47:44 PM
by redprospector
xx
some people