iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7 vs 10 degree bands

Started by kenfrommaine, April 26, 2021, 03:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I was a little peaved last night, and was going to reply, but thought better of it, as I knew Jeff or a moderator would respond in a more responsible way than what I was going to post. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jeff

Quote from: Stephen1 on April 28, 2021, 09:33:21 AM
 I knew Jeff or a moderator would respond in a more responsible way than what I was going to post.
Welll I wouldn't go that far  :D ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 28, 2021, 08:14:15 AM
Quote from: Screwbolts on April 28, 2021, 07:30:30 AM
Dont worry about My post count here, it will never get very high.
Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
That wasn't very hard to predict. ;D I could've been a blind squirrel and still found THAT nut.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure what his agenda was, and I'm not entirely certain he did, either.  :D There isn't anywhere on the web where you can get more information and first hand experience on sawmilling than on The Forestry Forum! 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tacotodd

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 28, 2021, 01:46:13 PM
I'm not sure what his agenda was, and I'm not entirely certain he did, either.  :D There isn't anywhere on the web where you can get more information and first hand experience on sawmilling than on The Forestry Forum!

X10!
Trying harder everyday.

Bruno of NH

I wouldn't be where I'm at without this place.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

It sounded to me like he had an ego that needed stroked, as much as I could make sense of what he was saying. Typically people that fit well in this Forum don't start off by belittling people for asking a question, and tell you how good they are and how long they've been doing it in their first 5 posts🤷🏽‍♂️ I'm glad Facebook Jeff got ahold of him😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

And you know what Bruno, there are people on here that have learned from you (I wonder how many planters have been sold in North America from people reading about your's on here) and seen how a guy can take some hard hits and keep his chin up, and keep on keepin' on. That's the way it's supposed to work. That guy can go puff his chest on FB or something with all the fools that horde the sawing sites on there.

Tacotodd

Yeah, he REALLY got on my nerves when I asked him in a PM about his original signature. I've kept it to myself rather than getting my BP up any more than it is. I'll not elaborate any more, please don't ask, I'll not tell. It's a PM after all.
Trying harder everyday.

Jeff

I saw his sig when I investigated this morning. Like that wasnt breaking rules. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UncleMoustache

Wow - that was interesting!

I gotta say, I like this forum so much more, now.

And I really like the owner/moderator!
(Not just because he has awesome facial hair.)

I wish the other forum I visit would be as quick to oust the troublemakers and egoists.   8)
Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

VB-Milling

Quote from: UncleMoustache on May 02, 2021, 09:55:13 AM
Wow - that was interesting!

I gotta say, I like this forum so much more, now.

And I really like the owner/moderator!
(Not just because he has awesome facial hair.)

I wish the other forum I visit would be as quick to oust the troublemakers and egoists.   8)
Seeing this thread, understanding what was going on and the swift nature in which everything was handled, is really what inspired me to come out of the lurker woodwork and start posting.
Meanwhile, the poor OP just wants opinions on 7 vs 10 degree bands... :)
HM126

Patrick NC

Back to the OP's question, for me the 10° cut faster but the 7° cuts flatter. Standard 7° not turbos. I've never tried turbos v
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Bruno of NH

I didn't like the turbo 7's at first now I love them.
In softwood they can't be beat.
I like them in some hardwood not when its frozen.
Most hardwood and frozen logs I use the frost notch bands.
But in the none frozen softwood the turbos eat.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

The silver tips preform much better for me as well.

Patrick NC

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 02, 2021, 12:57:07 PM
I didn't like the turbo 7's at first now I love them.
In softwood they can't be beat.
I like them in some hardwood not when its frozen.
Most hardwood and frozen logs I use the frost notch bands.
But in the none frozen softwood the turbos eat.
I'm about 15 hp less than you have so I've been reluctant to try the turbos. I might buy a couple to try. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

btulloh

I'm low HP, but 7's work much better than 10's for me on HW (green) and SW.  Kasco is the brand I've been using and very happy.
HM126

Southside

Turbos are all I run on both my 70 and my 35.  I was told the 25 HP on the 35 was too low but they perform flawlessly.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Patrick NC

Quote from: Southside on May 02, 2021, 04:48:15 PM
Turbos are all I run on both my 70 and my 35.  I was told the 25 HP on the 35 was too low but they perform flawlessly.  
As much as I don't want to chase profiles, I'm going to get a couple and see how they do with 23 hp. Standard 7s leave a lot of sawdust on the cant and I'd like to find something that will clear it better. 

barbender

I'm not sure if the Turbos clear noticeably more sawdust off the cant. They clear sawdust faster, so you can have an increased feed speed, but the sawdust spillage is similar. 

barbender

Southside, I really don't get that with the 7° Turbo. WM says they are only for higher hp mills, then they come out with the 747, which is even more aggressive- and they recommend that for pretty much everything. I think WM's marketing department hired someone from the Home Shopping Network or something right before they came out with that profile🤪😂

Southside

Yea there is a disconnect between the guys who design the stuff and the guys who run it, not sure why.  Encountered the same thing when I switched to 1.75" bands on the 70, was told I could not run them, won't fit, won't work.  Yea, yea, yea - just send me the wider guide rollers is all I kept saying, here is my CC number.  

Got off the phone, looked at my wife, sighed, and said "Who put the straw in strawberry?"....  Google that if you don't know the reference..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

I just know that answer because of a REALLY funny radio commercial referring to just such an occurrence. Umm, (DA stoner voice) nature did! Still memorable.that's from almost 30yrs ago. Showing my age a bit aren't I.
Trying harder everyday.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside on May 02, 2021, 10:49:59 PMYea there is a disconnect between the guys who design the stuff and the guys who run it, not sure why.
It's amazing it comes out as well as it does.  To their credit I find some of the manufacturers listen to what us sawyers tell them about their sawmills. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

I'm sawing hemlock logs 10' and 12'  up to 16" on the small end.
The 1.25 x  .042 turbo 7's eat it some fast anything bigger gets 1.5 x .055 turbo 7's and they use 2x the gas , but eat.

Thank You Sponsors!