iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A delicate shade of... orange???

Started by longtime lurker, April 30, 2021, 07:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Okay okay so I'm a circle sawmiller through and through. But I did get a bandsaw... albeit one that sounds like a 747 on startup and runs bands wider than most bandmill bed rails. 

Now as I slowly slide down the tube convert to being a sort of bandmill dude I got to consider the need for orange paint on these things because y'all seem to think it makes things work better. So I gotta ask:

Any of you got any first hand experience around the WM 3000/5000 series multirips, or know anyone who does? 

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

mike_belben

Please tell me its got a double cut band on it.  I have faith in you LL.  
Praise The Lord

Patrick NC

My buddy has an older version of that mill. A lt300. His is green and grey
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on April 30, 2021, 10:32:13 AM
Please tell me its got a double cut band on it.  I have faith in you LL.  
No way.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

Multi rip sounds like a gang saw or multiple head re-saw to me. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

longtime lurker

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

longtime lurker

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 30, 2021, 11:59:29 AM
No way.
I didn't think circle saws in orange paint made me a traitor to the cause

longtime lurker

Bring your spanners, we have toys to install

longtime lurker

Quote from: Southside on April 30, 2021, 03:03:42 PM
Multi rip sounds like a gang saw or multiple head re-saw to me
Gangsaw. I want to see a spec sheet and it's a holiday weekend here. Typical WM blurb on the web... Lotsa how quick it goes but no-one mentions the diameter of the mandrels

longtime lurker

Quote from: Patrick NC on April 30, 2021, 10:57:31 AM
This is an MR 3000/5000. Bull edger not a mill.

mike_belben

I got excited when i considered bands wider than most guy's rails.  I see that this is a circle gang on an arbor shaft now. 

Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

Quote from: mike_belben on April 30, 2021, 04:36:58 PM
I got excited when i considered bands wider than most guy's rails.  I see that this is a circle gang on an arbor shaft now.
No the band resaw is an 8" (vertical) band, roundabout with linebar and cant kickers and alla the fun things. That all needs to be elevated because I dont want to be digging holes in the floor in the wettest place in 'straya, so you'll have to extend it all skywards and then you can fabricate new transfers and that to feed it off the headsaw. And figure out if we can suck the sawdust away or if we're going to have to use a scraper chain too mate will ya. And we can't turn the rest of it off off for moren a day at a time while this is going on so you'll have to fabricate in the top shed and then we'll shut down on a friday, crane it all into the greenmill on a Saturday,  and have the twin back online monday, but it dont matter if it takes a month to install it... so long as the twin is not shut down too long. :D

But I'm looking for a gang resaw, maybe.... the customer wants a 400% production increase and I'd rather like to keep the customer. Couple of ways around that but I'm thinking a small non-optimised gang is pretty efficient way to get there and WM 'straya show them as in stock. I got the band resaw for some other work.... it's not really suited to this job - I'm in the worst logs in the world but they got a lot of them.

moodnacreek

So it's a vertical re-saw for hardwood with runaround to saw cants?

mike_belben

When my best customer told me he needed more production, i sold him the whole thing and moved far away. Im at 49 subscribers, so soon i should be able to retire on my youtube fame like everyone else!   ;D  :D

Now if i was alot younger with less wives and kids and precious junk and dogs and such, id have probably showed up at your work party just for the fun of it!
Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 30, 2021, 06:13:32 PM
So it's a vertical re-saw for hardwood with runaround to saw cants?
Yah, thats the one I told you about the other month. But I've bought that for my regular work - part of the long term, thought on it for years, what I'm going to be sawing for the next few decades, business plan.

But I've got another gig going down as well. Saws them and leaves them as MM would say, well except they freights them and I loads them on a truck and wave goodbye. For that job a gangsaw sawing cants is a better option - I wouldn't put a band in these things too dirty on the inside - and we're through the 700 tonne of test cuts and its time to get serious about it.

Yanno... nothing has changed here. I'm still running around like a headless chicken making up for insufficient capacity with long hours, and lack of capital with sweat. The only difference is there's more zero's on the cheques... both coming in and going out. But zero is nothing: so nothing has changed here.

Except I'm tired :D

longtime lurker

Quote from: mike_belben on April 30, 2021, 06:29:34 PM
When my best customer told me he needed more production, i sold him the whole thing and moved far away. Im at 49 subscribers, so soon i should be able to retire on my youtube fame like everyone else!   ;D  :D

Now if i was alot younger with less wives and kids and precious junk and dogs and such, id have probably showed up at your work party just for the fun of it!
Send me a link and I'll make it 50. Helping friends move up in the world is something I believe in.

mike_belben

Thank you sir.  I am the one and only "CertifiedHoarder"
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

Quote from: mike_belben on April 30, 2021, 09:33:24 PM
LoL @ 700ton of test cuts.
Yah, it's not about test cuts really... the first  few hundred established that. But there are matters of trust and reliability to be established on all sides in any longer term deal, and also tidal access considerations to get larger volumes out.  
The "I need a bigger..." list just got longer thats for sure.

customsawyer

When you get it all figured out send it to me by email. As I'm needing to do a similar thing. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Patrick NC

Quote from: longtime lurker on April 30, 2021, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: Patrick NC on April 30, 2021, 10:57:31 AM
This is an MR 3000/5000. Bull edger not a mill.
My bad. I thought you were talking about the wm 4500. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

mike_belben

I wish you great success LL.  Im sure youll be forced to earn every bit of it. 
Praise The Lord

Bradm

Quote from: longtime lurker on April 30, 2021, 06:31:42 PMI wouldn't put a band in these things too dirty on the inside

How dirty is dirty and what kind of dirt?

longtime lurker

Quote from: Bradm on May 01, 2021, 02:47:37 PM
Quote from: longtime lurker on April 30, 2021, 06:31:42 PMI wouldn't put a band in these things too dirty on the inside

How dirty is dirty and what kind of dirt?
Worst logs in the world: silica in the wood and bauxite in the pipe and nearly all have got pipe. Cuts a nice board though.

Thank You Sponsors!