iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm thinking I need another sawmill

Started by Jeff, May 01, 2021, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just thinking outloud.   My lt30, it's here in Harrison where I like it, but our forested land is now 3 hrs away! And I really need it up there, but I am am always needing to pull the flat bed back and forth for one reason or another and don't want to be pulling a mill around all the time. The perfect solution would be another small manual mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mike W

Everyone needs at least ONE mill, and two, ahhh all the more better, like the idea.  Our mill is on our property with all the timber needed or wanted, so its like taking the mill to the woods as it were.

Look forward to what you decide...

MW

Magicman

Where is your log supply and your potential lumber need?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Magic, quit making me feel stupid. :D  One problem is with it there and me here, it has no armed guard. ;)

stavebuyer

Cell phone trail camera mounted on top of your outhouse where you have a signal to watch your mill. Leave your mill up north and take the axle home with you. Give you more reasons(like you need any) to head north and saw(which requires an overnight stay to get anything accomplished) thereby justifying your investment in the cabin. Life is good. You worked hard. Enjoy it.

Magicman

You are not stupid, you just want justification for getting another (2nd) sawmill which would reside ...... up North.  :D

You obviously "need" a secure building in-which to park the sawmill which means ......  it never ends.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

I'm thinkin stationary circle mill, they are pretty secure. Course it will require a shed... but that's minor.

Jeff

I was waiting for that suggestion! 8)

47sawdust

One for sale in FAR northern Maine. Right here on the forum :D
No too far away from the U.P.,heh,heh.
I seem to remember someone hauling an LT30 further than that.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Percy

Since we are dreaming about spare/extra  sawmills, I day dreamed a mobile mill based on a Greyhound Bus. Automatic electronic leveling, office and bedroom upstairs, logs come in the side, lumber pooped out the rear, sawdust to a gasifier that powers the whole monstrosity. I was enjoying a third glass of wine when I come up with this idea...so the details are a bit sketchy. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

mike_belben

An old stationary PTO circle mill lagged to concrete piers and with the blade and tractor that powers it back at home with you every week would present very little to steal. 

Praise The Lord

Resonator

You know if you hired one of those portable hydraulic sawmillers to come in and saw your logs, they could cut you enough lumber in a couple days to last you for years... ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

surely one of the sponsors could donate one in a year or two when they catch up,  it would be nice to have the same head to use the same blades.  seems like the logs and lumber answer is UP...  sorry.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

luap

local Cl has a complete ready to saw belsaw, includes tractor, for $3500 just located in Gladstone, which I think is in the UP.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Don P on May 01, 2021, 10:40:53 AM
I'm thinkin stationary circle mill, they are pretty secure. Course it will require a shed... but that's minor.
Lucky You!  You have a friend with such an item! :D

Southside

I do know of a nice 40 that the owner has told me he wants to sell.  Of course we are going to have to re-negotiate the whole 5% thing should that happen.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

brianJ

Sounds like an addiction & you know what they say about addictions.   One is too many.   One more is never enough.

terrifictimbersllc

Check out the mills that the sponsors here offer, there are a lot of good choices depending on your needs. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Where is Ray? He needs to up sell you on a Logrite.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Also consider hiring one of the sawyers in extras>find-a-database
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

btulloh

"Get yourself a peavey or cantdog from Logrite. Sponsor on the left. Nice folks.  And get a 10 lb sack of stone-ground grits from thecfarm, Importer of quality foods in the glaciated north."
HM126

Nebraska

Now then I think an EZ Boardwalk Jr with an extension would work dandy up there.  ;)

tacks Y

I saw an LT70 for sale a week back. Thinking it was in MI and not a bad price on FB. It should be gone if it was any good.

Thank You Sponsors!