iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Sycamore project.

Started by customsawyer, July 13, 2012, 09:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on September 07, 2012, 03:24:31 AM
That is one of the things I try to do on some of my bike rides. I always seem to find some of the cool stuff when I am lost. Some times I even find myself. ;D

I'm one of those folks who feels bad when he sees a road he's never been down before, and doesn't have time to go see where it goes!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sandhills

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 08, 2012, 12:53:36 AM
Quote from: customsawyer on September 07, 2012, 03:24:31 AM
That is one of the things I try to do on some of my bike rides. I always seem to find some of the cool stuff when I am lost. Some times I even find myself. ;D

I'm one of those folks who feels bad when he sees a road he's never been down before, and doesn't have time to go see where it goes!

smiley_thumbsup  I'll second that.

Corley5

I haven't been around the FF any since our trip to the South.  We had a great time.  I wish I could have stayed longer to shoot the breeze after edging but we had to hit the road.  Many thanks to the Customsawyers for their hospitality.  It was great putting voices and faces to FF friends I hadn't met and reconnecting with those I haven't seen in a while.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Okrafarmer

It was good to meet you, Corley! Maybe one of these days I'll make it up your way for a pig roast.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

fishpharmer

Been busy since I got back from Customsawyer's Sycamore project.  Cannot thank Customsawyer and his lovely bride enough for the hospitality. Have a few more pics and video I thought I might add.  It was fun to see everyone. Thanks for your patience.

Good to see my friend pigman, who was looking a little puny next to the sycamore log. ;)

Okrafarmer, put the logrites to test with the sawenpreacher.
http://youtu.be/z35dmxKhAgI
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Okrafarmer

Magicman

I did not know that there were left hand and right hand Logrites.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

I had a question reguarding those sycamore logs and a little project of my own.
How old were those logs and did you leave them set on purpose?

I have been getting quite a few nice plump sycamore logs from a logger and most of them have been going into my weekly production of 3x4 cants. However I have 1 log that is HUGE! It measures about 30'' on the small end and has quite a bit of taper. I was thinking of thick slabbing it to possibly make some table tops for sale. I do know that the other syc I have been sawing has quite a bit of tension in it and wants to warp and twist some. I cut a few that had been down all summer and they did have deep cracks, but that just about all edged out. The wood had some spalting and some  blue/green stain in the outside 6 to 8''.  Very beautiful. Is there any hope of keeping the 3 to 5'' thick slabs flat.
I have a neighbor who has an EZ model 40 who will probably slab it for me.
What should I do or what would you do?  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

I don't believe that the log had been cut more than several months by the time we sawed it.  It was 21' long and about 33" on the small end, but there was not much taper.  I would cut the thick slabs out of the center 1/3 of the log.  The boards on the outside portion of the cant (closest to the bark) seem to be the worst to warp and twist.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Depending on how things go, I am forseeing a possible project in South Carolina this winter. Not sycamore, but I have some things in mind, and it may involve one or more unusual species. If we go this route, I will post more info soon, in a new post. Of course, nobody has to come if they don't want to.  ;)

customsawyer

Paul one of the things I was looked at when picking this log was the strait grain. Lots of the sycamore have the spiral grain going around the tree on the way up. These will cause the most of the warping. 
Thanks James that brought back lots of great memories.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

I have about decided to let this one go a while. maybe till spring and I think I will park it out under the walnut trees along the drive. I am planning to saw 4 to 6'' thick table/counter tops out of it. Maybe it will get a little color, spalting, and character in the wood. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

caveman

I have been nursing a cold the past day or so and I decided to read some old posts while sitting around idle.  I came across this one.  This one predates any of Jake's projects that I had the privilege to attend.  It reminded me of how much fun I had at all of them and all of the great folks I had the opportunity to meet in person in addition to the wealth of knowledge openly shared by the experts.

A little after 2:30 this afternoon John showed up after coaching a couple of travel ball games for his son and I decided it was time to get off of my lazy rear and start sawing.  We spent more time pulling cypress logs out of the pond than we did sawing.  We tried to find the smallest logs that would make 16' 1"x6"s rather than waste some of our better logs but after a couple of hours and only half the order filled, we pulled a couple of better logs and knocked it out.

I, along with most of the rest of you, are ready for Covid to be a memory.  I look forward to seeing all of my Forestry Forum friends again.  I did not take any pictures of the lumber we sawed but I will say that with the prices lately, we were not slabbing heavy and cut a bunch of short 1x4's and 1x6's that were shorter than 16'.

John worked the pond and I worked the tractor today.

Most of these logs are not floating but are stacked to the bottom.  It is our dry season and the pond is probably only 8' deep.
Caveman

Jeff

Any bluegills in there too?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruno of NH

What about water snakes ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

caveman

Jeff, over the years we have had some very large bass in there.  At one time we had four over ten pounds but this time of the year it does tend to get dry and some years the pond gets so low that the oxygen levels drop and the fish die.  For a while we just had shiners in there to use as live bait when bass fishing.  Several years ago John and I put a cooler full of crawdads and some blue talipia (an invasive edible species) in there.  Last summer, during the pandemic shutdown I actually had time to bass fish a little and put 20 or so in the pond.  They will smash the talapia and should grow quickly.  

A few years ago there were dozens of snakes in this pond but the birds are doing a pretty good job of keeping them at bay.  After I retire I hope to be able to make it to one of your pig roasts.  I've never been to Michigan but after seeing your pictures, I think I want to.

At one time, when John and I were kids, we put a bunch of bluegills in the pond and some got huge.  We called them t#++y bream because you could not hold them with one hand.  It takes longer to pull logs out of the pond than it does to saw them but it is better than feeding the logs to the bugs.  
Caveman

Jeff

Mr. Tom took me to a restaurant one time where there was a walkway over some water. Largest gills, brim, that I ever saw. Like a dinner plate big. I dropped a foam earplug in the water a spaloosh! One had it. Oh I wanted a fishing pole and not a fork!  I remember this place was full of taxidermy.

K-Guy

Quote from: WDH on July 15, 2012, 08:56:45 PMJake likes to cut them thick and wide

He spreads "it" pretty far and wide too!! :o :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!