iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have tips for catching thieves?

Started by farmfromkansas, May 19, 2021, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

This is last week from a different farm on top of Putnam Knob. I recognized the driver. He will be putting in waterbars and replacing fence.

And this picture came across this morning from another hill farm. I have more still cameras to check to see if I have a better mugshot. So yeah, the trespassing is bad  and a few more need to be drug into court. Problem is the judges too often let them by with a warning and court costs. They weigh the chance of being caught and a small fine versus what it costs to buy and maintain a place to hunt and figure its still a bargain even if they get caught.

mike_belben

i got one spypoint rig, gotta go get a microsd for it and see if any of my trailcams will sync. 
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

Quote from: mike_belben on October 04, 2021, 01:12:27 PM
i got one spypoint rig, gotta go get a microsd for it and see if any of my trailcams will sync.
Critical to do a "long format" of the micro SD card before installing and pays to bite the bullet and go with Lithium batteries although you could put off the lithium until after you see if the rig connects ok. You might try it with the camera door open first. The SD card cable thing can be finicky in some cameras. Hope yours hits on the first go!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

JDowns71

I had coffee with a neighbor this morning and we were discussing the same topic. We are at the edge of a mile and a half private drive that rarely sees any outside traffic, but both of us are seasonal right now and the peace of mind to have some sort of cameras out while we are gone is a plus.  We do have nosey neighbors that are here year round so not overly concerned.  But he just purchased the Spartan GoLive and loves it.   I do like the aspect that you can query the camera for a live view anytime you want.  Data plans for the year aren't too bad, camera's are pricey, but you can put up to nine cameras on one data plan and pool the data if you pay yearly.  I ordered two with solar after seeing his setup.  

It is a pricey setup, but with neighbors nearby that I can call in an emergency, and a live camera, I'll rest easier during the off season for sure.    

mike_belben

the spypoint cell-link adapter worked and sent images to my phone pretty quick, first try with both my old outdated trail cams. a moultrie and a stealthcam.  at least here in the house with service.  im hopeful itll be as good out in the bush. 

thanks again SB
Praise The Lord

jimbarry

Cameras shoot well, but not as effective as a Winchester rifle.

HemlockKing

Quote from: jimbarry on October 19, 2021, 04:40:33 PM
Cameras shoot well, but not as effective as a Winchester rifle.
Careful Jim, our country doesn't believe in rights to defend yourself or property, pretty sure the only means we have by law to shoot someone is if they already took a shot at you, but if they were robbing you mid night and then threaten you with a knife, you can not shoot them. 
Not that many people see it that way around my parts though, and it's common knowledge locally there are crazies that will shoot at you, we live different lives out here than in city's, yet we are governed to the standards of which city liberal hive minds believe we should be. I can't even walk with a side arm
Pistol on my own land. Oh well, can of worms with me etc.
A1

mike_belben

we can walk into a church with one hanging right out.  ive seen preachers wear iron. old ladies, you name it. 
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

Quote from: mike_belben on October 19, 2021, 09:07:12 AM
the spypoint cell-link adapter worked and sent images to my phone pretty quick, first try with both my old outdated trail cams. a moultrie and a stealthcam.  at least here in the house with service.  im hopeful itll be as good out in the bush.

thanks again SB
When you are placing the cameras they like to be in the "shade". Direct sun can cause false triggers even on the expensive cameras.

mike_belben

good to know, thanks.  i was thinkin on hanging it today to see just how many racks ive paid for.  in the woods, not at club bargemonkey.   ;D
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Deployed trailcam at my mineral site yesterday and had too much horizon in the frame.  Wind came up and bam, pic a minute because of the leaves.  Burned up the 100/month freebie immediately. The only spypoint membership that makes economic sense is unlimited at $15 a month.   Is that per transmitter or per subscriber?  

I have to go back shortly and aim it further at the dirt and drop the camera to 10 second delay.  

Can this thing transmit video or just still frame? @stavebuyer 
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Quote from: stavebuyer on September 25, 2021, 04:32:07 PM
I get text and email notification from the app as well as normal incoming text message and email alerts. The phone beeps at me when I get a picture. So you are alerted and can view the picture from you phone, computer or both. You want to know when someone pulls in the driveway while you are back at the food plot this works well although depending on the carrier there can be a delay but most mine are within a 30 seconds of the event.

A well place camera will only need attention when the batteries need changing which depends on temps, signal strength, and use. I have gone as long 6 months and 1000s pictures on a set of batteries.

The App has signal strength and battery condition indications.

If your wife has the app on her phone and is logged in to your account she will also get the notifications on her phone.
now if the camera could be like the cuddle link system and use WIFI instead of Cellular
the cuddle link system allows for the cameras to link together up to 5 miles. it does not use WIFI so i cannot connect to them with the computer.
I use 16 Gig cards and put the cameras serial Number as the name of the camera. that way i know which camera is missing and can report it to the Police. has now helped yet.
my ideal trail camera would have the following:
Cellular and WIFI
long battery life
not look like a trail cam
4K photos and Video
yea i know, dream on
"let the machines do the work"

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stavebuyer

Quote from: mike_belben on October 22, 2021, 08:30:33 AM
Deployed trailcam at my mineral site yesterday and had too much horizon in the frame.  Wind came up and bam, pic a minute because of the leaves.  Burned up the 100/month freebie immediately. The only spypoint membership that makes economic sense is unlimited at $15 a month.   Is that per transmitter or per subscriber?  

I have to go back shortly and aim it further at the dirt and drop the camera to 10 second delay.  

Can this thing transmit video or just still frame? @stavebuyer
The data plans are per transmitter. If your going to pay $15 a month long term your better off biting the bullet and going with one of the higher end cameras.
I have 8 of the Spypoints at different farms and so I bought the Insiders Club which gives a discount on all data plans and ups the free photos to 250 per camera. It is a learning curve. We had the same wind here and I didn't have any issue. Also some cameras allow you to change the trigger level. Deer or people usually can get by with the lowest detection level.
One good thing about Spypoint is you could spend the $15 for one month to get your camera placement settings lined out and then you will know how much data you want.

stavebuyer

The cell link adapter is still photos only.

mike_belben

Dang your camera collection is worth more than my truck SB!

I need to make myself an angle mount so as to not be at the whim of tree angle and finding the right rock to jam behind the camera all the time.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!