iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Venison Sausage

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 25, 2021, 11:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I had a few pounds of trimmings off a young doe and decided to make it up into bulk sausage. I have never tried stuffing any and may one of these days but these work good for us. I took 3.5 lbs of deer trimmings and added 1.5 lbs of pork pieces. I sometimes use a boston butt if I am doing a good bit and I have used cheap pork sausage or ground pork to add the fat needed to the mix. I used a seasoning mix from a local sporting good store. A box costs about $5 and does 24 lbs of meat. If I add pork sausage I use the mix for amount of the deer meat and if I add unseasoned pork I add seasoning for the whole mix. I ground the pork and deer together then added the seasoning. I made meatballs with an ice cream scoop. They figure out just a little over 5 to the pound. If I am making hamburger patties I do the same only I make bigger meatballs. We put the meatballs inside a vacuum freezer bag then flatten them out into patties in the bag then seal the bag. We put 4 patties to a pack because that works well for us. Once frozen you can break the patties apart if we only want 1-2 and not the whole pack.

Venison sausage meatballs ready to go in the bag  

This is a sealed pack. Not as pretty as most but the patties will break apart when frozen.

Now we just need some grits and hot biscuits and muscadine hull preserves. digin_2
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Oh my that looks good.
Archery has been open for some time now but I am only a gun hunter.
Rifle opened Saturday in the Adirondacks and Im heading up to camp tomorrow.
Trouble is deer are almost like hens teeth up there.
Lots action on my trail cams here tho so should do good come season here which starts Nov 21st.
Still working on the remnants of last years venison, taking loin to camp to enjoy with fried onions and mushrooms on wednesday evening.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

We had youth/senior hunts a week ago and 4 days of antlerless gun season last week. I have driven past does with fawns in the pasture every time I went to my stands.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Howard, I've made a little sausage using the same seasoning as shown in your pic!

My question is how much to add per pound of ground meat!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

The recipe was on a sheet inside the box. I think it was one package for 12 lbs of meat, 2 Tablespoons for 3 lbs, etc. I just followed the instructions. I have used this for years and always had good results with it.
Howard Green

Chuck White

Thanks, now I'll have to check the box, I didn't notice a recipe or anything, just 2 packets of seasoning!

Checked, the recipe sheet was laying on the bottom.

Looks good, thanks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!