iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decided to go gas. 8.1 to be exact. 04 model

Started by Sedgehammer, June 06, 2021, 06:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

I am going to put a set of stainless headers, that'll help a bit also

I do see they make a blower setup for it. $7,100. Not too bad. It does take new pistons though if you want over 5 psi. I'll maybe do that next year
Necessity is the engine of drive

Bruno of NH

The diesel engines aren't worth the extra for me.
I know most won't agree with me.
If I was pulling load cross country I would consider it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

The mileage computers are about as accurate as the weatherman, in my experience 

Cat ACERT diesel engines run twin turbos and it has something to do with emissions. 
Too many irons in the fire

Sedgehammer

Just got back from Georgia with this load. 11 mpg w/ trailer empty average and 8 loaded. Total load was just under 18k. Set cruise at 75 and it barely wavered no matter the hill

Did add a 50 gallon transfer tank though. Could save $0.20 per gallon on a fill up by using the gas app

farmfromkansas

My old F-450 with the v-10 averages about 12 empty, but I can't go as fast with the 488 rear gear.  Just don't want to scream the engine.  Pulling the trailer in 5th gear, I run about 55. It is the 6 speed manual, 6th is OD.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sedgehammer

I think mine is a 3.83. with those 4.88s, you can prolly pull a house

farmfromkansas

I really enjoy having the F-450, pulls the cow trailer easy, and i can spray grass with a skid sprayer mounted on the flat bed, with 300 gallons, probably could switch to a 500 gallon, but the one I have works well, also pull the hay trailer with 10 round bales, and the skidsteer trailer with the skidsteer and a couple attachments.  My 3/4 ton truck is just too light to handle the jobs the heavier truck handles easily, and the gas mileage is similar.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

barbender

That's good mileage, Sedge. My 03 Dodge Cummins 3500 is only pulling around 10mpg pulling our camper. The camper is probably around 10K loaded. I have 4:11 gears and a 6 speed manual, it pulls great but the mileage is a little brutal on the wallet. I think I paid $3.59 a gallon today.

Sedgehammer

@barbender I was a little surprised to be honest. I was thinking empty with that trailer we'd be in the 9 and 5-6 loaded comin back. I will ruin it some here in a few weeks. It's getting a 3" body lift and 285/65r20 tires and new aluminum wheels. Truck just looks silly with 16" tires/wheels. Plus I need to replace those that are on it. Just prior to leaving found one of them that was cracking, so used it as a spare and put the spare on it. I do intend to put headers and dual exhaust in the coming months. That will really wake her up and I should get more mpg's back then it costs with the wider/bigger rubber

Sedgehammer

Did 2 dirt loads just over 40k today.  It didn't want anymore

barbender

I've been pulling our 5th wheel camper that is in the area of 10K all loaded up, all over out west. Lots of switchbacks, 10% grades, and mountain passes. The '03 Dodge Cummins has 4:10 gears and a 6 speed manual. It pulls awesome, it actually feels good to pull something up a grade with it!😁 Mileage is only so-so, though. A pretty steady 10 mpg. The best I got was 12.5 one day, which was ironically the day with the most hard pulling (coming out of Yellowstone through the Lamar Valley and the Northeast entrance, up to the Beartooth and then over to Cody, Wy). I think the reason is that with the low gears, whenever you're going over 60 mph, mileage drops off quickly due to the high rpms. 

Thank You Sponsors!