iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You filthy swine!

Started by mike_belben, June 25, 2021, 11:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Yeah jim.. It was obviously a disposal service. 

Thanks for the tips doc. I have a number of quality beef growers in my friends list who wouldnt jeapardize a friendship by selling me junk, if ever i was in a position to start a herd. 

Im a dilligence doer, just studying up.  Cant afford any more screw ups this far along.. Still havent recovered from the last ones!
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Roxie

So sweet!  She's plum tuckered out trying to hang with the big dogs. 

Say when

thecfarm

Now that's enjoying life!!!

Nice story Roxie.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tacotodd

Quote from: mike_belben on August 21, 2021, 11:03:06 PM
 Im a dilligence doer, just studying up.  Cant afford any more screw ups this far along.. Still havent recovered from the last ones!
I RESEMBLE that remark!
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

life goes on.  no sense wasting good days to begrudge bad ones gone by.  

so the new pup is one heck of an attention craving, shrieking little whiner.  we are not allowing indoor dogs anymore so thats that.  she has to stay in a big wire crate or in the new chicken coop because she will walk right out my 6x6 yard fence out into the street or into the killer shepherds mouth right next door. i guess all roxie's siblings have already been killed by other dogs on the road so we cant have any of that.  sad.

anyway she screams incredibly loud when you leave her.. ignoring it was not making any headway.  i dont wanna go wacking the dog at this age because shes too young to understand, and too young for a shock collar. my kids little chinese pump-style water cannons have worked very well.  when im inside and shes out there screeching away, i blast out the door, run right up and hose her with pool water. its hot out so im sure its a relief but a shocking one in the moment that she doesnt like.  she shuts up for a while and eventually does it again.  repeat, repeat, repeat.  its been half a day of this and shes already backing off a lot of the incessant whining that caused prior owner to give her to us. 

yesterday she crapped out atleast a 3" long live worm and got a proper dosage of dewormer/flea/tick etc pill this morning. i got the 3 rounds of vaccine at the co-op for $10.50 each, just needs to be a few weeks older.  "canine distemper adenovirus type 2- coronavirus-parainfluenza- parvovirus"  i think thats more care than shed get at most houses on this road.  many dont even get fed. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

she got her first tubby tonight.  headed right back out when shes dried off. 

Praise The Lord

Roxie

Quote from: mike_belben on August 22, 2021, 06:59:18 PM
so the new pup is one heck of an attention craving, shrieking little whiner. 
You expected anything less?  :D
Say when

Nebraska

She's old enough  for the first dose.  Go ahead and give it.  Then boost at 4 week intervals give or take a few days. 

mike_belben

QuoteYou expected anything less?  
with a name like Roxie i shoulda known she'd be trouble!   ;)

its been a long while since i raised pups.. long enough for the memory to fade and the idealistic scenes to invade my thought process again.  probably similar to how otherwise intelligent people end up bringing home horses.   ;D

she just keeps getting tied further and further back toward the treeline so as to not drive anyone crazy while i attemp to ignore the unwanted bahavior.  this time to a trailer jack.  shes got food, water, noisy junk to chew on and 50 ft of range to stay in the shade.  every few hours i take her off and let her fly around, then tie her back up and hope she takes a nap. in time, when i can feel shes too large to slip through the fence and wise enough to stay out of shepherds jaws, she will be free to roam the whole place with the others and i hope will become a content dog.  they may hate it though.. shes quite the instigator toward the big dogs.

will do doc, thanks for the info.  wife is the needle pro, will let her do it.  where should the shots go?  in the dog, yes.  but where in the dog?
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

From my experiences with MY shots, I'd guess somewhere in some fatty areas with the needle at roughly 45 in relation to the injection. Keep in mind, that's my experience with ME & my self administered shots, so that may or may not be accurate info.
Trying harder everyday.

Nebraska

Under the skin over the shoulders, scruff her, it makes  a tent. Take the needle and stab the man in the tent through the door. 

mike_belben

somehow my phlebotomist wife just knew to do exactly that, this morning. 

Thanks for the confirmation doc
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

Glad you got it done. This a little redundant but oh well.
I took this picture  using my Labrador  as a medical dummy.  

So for the sake of completeness if anyone wonders... restrain the dogs head so no one gets bit. Although  Alvin doesn't  care... like  I said make a tent stab the man in the tent.. It a good practice to pull back on the plunger to check for blood  before  injecting but the chances  of you hitting anything significant going  sub q in this location are small.  Exceptions are little white fluffy dogs fresh from the groomer have a 10x more likely chance of bleeding a little at the injection site just to make you look bad... :)
No Labradors were actually  poked in the making of this photo... ;)

Tacotodd

But that would've added much more drama to our reality show, don't you think ;D
Trying harder everyday.

Nebraska

Oh, he gets poked every once in a while.  Donates a little blood here and there when the situation  arises.

mike_belben

so i got 30 unsexed cornish cross chicks in today and set up the brooder.  no mortalities, only issue is one has gimpy feet where its toes havent spread, theyre crossed or bunched together, and he or she gets trampled a lot. doesnt walk well so it kinda stays bedded. 

took a while for them to figure out the water and feeder thingy.  by mid day they were running to and fro and dabbling in this and that.  little water, dart over there.. nibble nibble in the feed. chirp chirp,  dart over there.  im thinking how are these things gonna gain weight on 3 specs of feed an hour?

i took a knife, scalloped off an ear of the cow corn i grew that is too blehk for me to eat, tossed the still fresh kernels in the blender with some water.  drained out water in a sieve and gave it to them.  BOOM, feeding frenzy.  gone. ignored the dry ground corn mix and destroyed the fresh corn.  

then i thought hey, karl hammer runs between 600 and 1200 chickens on a compost pile with zero feed.  why not?  so i blended up all the tomato pulp i had from making sauce and put another ear worth of corn into the mix, turned to milkshake consistency.  they ate on that non stop for 4 hours without slowing.  hardly any hits on the commercial feed mix.  then i strained all the bugs out of the pool from the rains and they had a ball fighting over all those protein bars.

i introduced all 3 dogs to one bird in my hand while i gave them the one flinch at my baby and you die stare..  they sniffed and stared and that was it.  

so we are off to a good start 

Praise The Lord

Roxie

Your dogs are smart. I wouldn't mess with you either!   :D
Say when

thecfarm

I had one dog trained so well he would clean up behind the chickens.  :o  
Than some people wondered why I never let him lick me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

when they can fly and flap their wings, one of your younger dogs will mess up for sure.  We had a blue healer do that, and a German Shepard.  we duck taped the dead chicken to their back between the shoulders for a day.  they would think about it, strike a stalking pose, but never again kill a chicken.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

the brooder is in the weather tight shed for now so i dont have to consider any form of predator issues.  once big enough, they go in the A frame coop down on the grass strip where im gonna move them. these birds are only coming out for the cone hug.  if the dogs wanna go down there chewing the chicken wire and stressing my birds ill get a BB gun and start letting them feel it. electric wire to keep them away is also an option.  

my friend would hang the dead bird on a string overhead and whip the dog every time it went up for the bird.  i think itd be best with a shock collar but i dont have the money for that right now.  still need to make the plucker asap.  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

blended tomato pulp in the gutter and blended cow corn in the pan.  both grown here for free. theyre a bit too young to eat black soldier fly larvae but ive got hundreds of those digesting all of my food waste and converting it to protein and fat.  for now im trying curly dock and plantain for protein.  need a bigger blender! 

Praise The Lord

Southside

Do you have a little sand / grit in there for them to peck at? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Yeah, some mason sand from the pool base is in the bedding.  Should it be in a bowl instead? Or in feed?
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

The Chicken Ranch   has begun.  :) That sand is probably  good enough, I asked the chicken doctor across the room to be sure.... They don't use it when starting chicks, just bedding, feed, and water..

Thank You Sponsors!