The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: You filthy swine!  (Read 13234 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: You filthy swine!
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2021, 09:07:43 PM »
we used to have ours penned until they could fly over, but they went into the coup at night and we closed the door.  never lost a chicken at night.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #321 on: October 01, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »
It's the ones you suddenly gain one day that make you scratch your head. A couple of times some bird I have never seen is running around with the flock, and we don't have any neighbors within chicken distance is the weird part.  ???
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #322 on: October 01, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You just gotta roll with it🤷‍♂️😂
 I have no idea why tying a dead chicken to the dogs neck is effective, I don't know where I got the idea but I didn't come up with it. Leave the dog tied up, with the chicken tied to their neck where they can't get at it. Make sure and remind them they are a bad dog often.
  The most problematic dog we had was a very very intelligent border collie/aussie cross. When we first got chicks, she killed one. We had a talk about it, and she didn't touch another for years. When she was getting up in years, she started killing chickens again. The reason we couldn't break her of it was because it wasn't really predatory- she would kill the chickens that the kids paid attention to out of jealousy. Dang dog. I had one chick, a goofy hen went broody in the middle of the winter and hatched one chick. I didn't want it to freeze so I brought it in the basement wood shop and put it in a brooder. Well the poor lonely thing, I'd be working down there and it would be chirping loudly. I'd chirp back at it, pretty soon it got where it could jump out of the brooder. It would follow me around and eventually started jumping up on my shoulder. It would just try to ride around as I did projects. I named it Clarence😂 Well Maya the dog caught wind of our blossoming relationship and that was the end of Clarence. Just your run off the mill laying hen outside she couldn't care less. But if it was a chicken you'd pick up and pet, it had a target on it.

PS- Southside, although Walt may have a tame appearance I assure you he is an apex predator. Why, one summer day I witnessed first hand Walt capturing a horse fly in my woods truck and dragging it back to his lair under the back seat to finish it off. It truly never had a chance!

Too many irons in the fire

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #323 on: October 01, 2021, 11:54:44 PM »
My office has chosen to represent Walt in his defense of these unfounded accusations. Judge Wapner is a good man, he will see it Walts way.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #324 on: October 02, 2021, 05:27:57 AM »
we will see who craps out the most beaks.
Even Sherlock Holmes would admire your persistence!   :D

Barbender your story…so funny and so vividly described that I could see it going down.   :D :D

Southside we’ll start a go fund me page to cover any expenses you incur for Walt’s legal fees. 
Say when

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #325 on: October 02, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »
Roxie, I can still hear the horse fly's frantic wings buzzing and the crunching sounds😂

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #326 on: October 02, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »
I dont wanna let the cat too far out of the bag but for you poultry guys lamenting your feed prices, look closer at your lawn.  

I will put it this way.  When a truly grass fed bird is fed too much, it fails to finish its corn/grains.  Imagine that. 
Isaiah 63:10

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #327 on: October 02, 2021, 06:58:42 PM »
I don't know  if chickens will eat stink bugs but up here millions of them emerged today covering everything and the birds seem to be enjoying them after they get the first couple down.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #328 on: October 02, 2021, 08:42:21 PM »
Chickens will eat stink bugs!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #329 on: October 03, 2021, 12:42:28 AM »
We have them right now. Lady beetles come next in droves.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #330 on: October 03, 2021, 12:56:39 AM »
We are in the middle of the lady beetle apocalypse up here right now. Nasty things.

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #331 on: October 03, 2021, 12:47:23 PM »
Mike that is why I still resist building a tractor and use same method as doc of letting them out in morning and closing coop at night (they go in on their own at dusk). If I had to make up the difference in feed costs vs what they eat outside all day it would be a no go. 

We are in the woods and have lost 4 to predators over the years but also have A Very Good Dog that thinks the birds are hers and is very protective of them. No neighborhood so no neighborhood dogs to worry about just the wild song dogs and the foxes that mostly stay away because the cat of all things runs them off. He is getting real old and actually did not come home last night which is very unusual.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #332 on: October 03, 2021, 03:22:10 PM »
We are in the woods and have lost 4 to predators over the years but also have A Very Good Dog that thinks the birds are hers and is very protective of them. No neighborhood so no neighborhood dogs to worry about just the wild song dogs and the foxes that mostly stay away because the cat of all things runs them off. He is getting real old and actually did not come home last night which is very unusual.
I hope your dog is OK and comes home today. I was down at my friends Bill's place working yesterday. Same setup, chickens forage through the woods all the way down the cliff at the sawmill to pester me some days. He has a spaniel mix dog that seems to mind the chickens and is OCD with respect to stick throwing. Anyway, yesterday I was at his shop and Sadie is following me around trying to get me to throw the stick because everybody else is up on the roof working on the second floor framing (including the 5 y/o little girl who apparently as strong ideas on how things should be done properly. I am still in awe of how she makes it up that 20' ladder). Anyway, down in the woods the rooster and several chickens all started making a ruckus of noise and that dog dropped the stick and took off like a shot. Never did ask what she found, but she was back a few minutes later and picked up the same stick. ;D False alarm I guess or chicken politics the dog didn't want to take a side in. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #333 on: October 03, 2021, 05:06:43 PM »
Thanks Tom! 

The dog is sleeping in the same place as usual but cat has gone walkabout. Thankfully the dog doesn't wander, those that do around here often get shot  :-\

Bill sounds like a good friend to have and a cool place to work and hang out!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #334 on: October 03, 2021, 09:17:45 PM »
There are many wild roosting flocks of birds up and down the road but if any got near these dogs theyd be old fashioned pillow packing pretty quick. 

Ive had 4 free range straggler chickens in the past, just did whatever they wanted. Each one ended in someone's dog's mouth eventually. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2021, 07:53:37 AM »
Well i figure 17 pages is enough to fit in a pig picture

Neighbor friends have a big sow and a little boar, i got a call to go get a stray pig that was hanging around their pigs trying to dig into their pen and wouldnt go away. so either get it or they were gonna shoot it.  I figured well, why not.  

I get there and its a half wild full grown female potbelly with its ears chewed off long ago, id guess by dogs.  I cant say i wanted it but i said id come get a pig so i came and got a pig.  Did a little reading and all a potbelly sounds good for is lard. 

Small part of me says you dont know what its ate and its probably wormy but realistically its got a plump body condition, its not been in a filthy pen lately and has been foraging in clean woods and pasture, its probably healthier than most pigs.  Doesnt matter, i put it up for free and had 2 immediate late night wanters so it can go live somewhere else.  

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #336 on: October 06, 2021, 07:55:35 AM »
It’s Chris.P. Bacon! 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #337 on: October 06, 2021, 08:04:00 AM »
I thought you were roasting it already with all the garnish and veggies around it.   :D   digin_2   :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #338 on: October 06, 2021, 09:20:25 AM »
Well i figure 17 pages is enough to fit in a pig picture

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Neighbor friends have a big sow and a little boar, i got a call to go get a stray pig that was hanging around their pigs trying to dig into their pen and wouldnt go away. so either get it or they were gonna shoot it.  I figured well, why not.  

I get there and its a half wild full grown female potbelly with its ears chewed off long ago, id guess by dogs.  I cant say i wanted it but i said id come get a pig so i came and got a pig.  Did a little reading and all a potbelly sounds good for is lard.

Small part of me says you dont know what its ate and its probably wormy but realistically its got a plump body condition, its not been in a filthy pen lately and has been foraging in clean woods and pasture, its probably healthier than most pigs.  Doesnt matter, i put it up for free and had 2 immediate late night wanters so it can go live somewhere else.  
You should feel bad. That pig is going to miss you Mike

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #339 on: October 06, 2021, 12:20:29 PM »
Yep, it thought it found it's forever home, look how happy it is!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How do I clean this filthy motor?

Started by George Zarifis on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2016, 03:50:28 PM
by 4x4American
xx
Swine flu (aka H1N1)

Started by Warbird on General Board

58 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 06:05:04 AM
by Bibbyman