The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: You filthy swine!  (Read 14198 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: You filthy swine!
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
Isaiah 63:10

Offline Bradm

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2021, 07:28:17 PM »
@Bradm  

You mentioned fed inspection to ensure "proper" waste handling.  What is and isnt proper waste handling in a USDA facility?  

I have looked into the large digesters that are commonly being set up at big producers to hot compost mortality pigs and parts.  What do renderers eventually do with all that slop?  What do killfloors do with all the blood, scum and rinsewater that goes down the drain? Is it just into the septic tank or does the law require holding tanks and a pumpout receipt to treatment plants?
I can't speak for USDA specifically as I'm in Ontario, Canada so I'll relate what some of our regulations are and a bit of history as well.

We have 3 levels of inspection - municipal (city), provincial OMAFRA (state), and federal CFIA (USDA equivalent) with each having their own fiefdom for lack of a better word.  Municipal handled non slaughter facilities and retail until the provincial decided that further processing was now under their jurisdiction as well; provincial handled slaughter houses that sold to the public but do not export outside the province; federal handled the large processors that focused on high volume production and export.

In 1994 or 1995 OMAFRA began to audit all slaughterhouses.  Inside of a few years, the province went from having 400ish plants to under 150 (currently around 100 if I remember correctly).  The audits were, and are, intended to ensure that all meat processing facilities met a provincial standard to further ensure public safety.  The first binder was about 400 pages of regs with 1 reg per page.  Many were repeats of earlier regs just written in a different manner.  I'm not sure how large it is now but I do believe that over 1/3, if not fully 1/2, relate to ready to eat meat (cured, smoked, and cooked).

In 2003, after 1 positive case of BSE (mad cow disease) in Alberta, our federal government, in order to maintain exports, had CFIA come up with policies to prevent any possible spread of BSE.  It had been determined that BSE spreads mainly from certain by products making it back into the feed of the animals.  These by products were the blood, brain, tonsils, spinal cord and bowel (if not the full large intestine) of cattle over the age of 30 months (I don't really understand how the age was determined to be a factor).  Due to these by products being used in feed that was exported, all plants were placed under CFIA purview with regards to waste and the waste needed to be held separately and documented for weight and who picked it up for disposal.  Fast forward 18 years and I believe Canada has now been given an all clear with regards to BSE so the regs might change, though I doubt it.

For solid waste disposal (bones, fat, offal, etc), a rendering company may be your best bet as some might still pay for what they pick up; you may also be able to bury or run a digester.  For liquid disposal either a lagoon or holding tanks - speak to someone from the EPA(?) or even the state regulators.  Manure could be spread on fields if free from blood or mixed with dirt, sawdust and digester output to make fertilizer.

Again, this is some of the regulations here in Ontario, Canada.  Odds are there will be many similarities for a USDA facility and there will probably be some notable differences (USDA must inspect all plants that sell product rather than just services for one).

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2021, 12:23:53 AM »
Thank you for sharing all that!  Its funny how slow my brain processes canadian governmental units.  We are fed/state/county/town (or city)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2021, 02:38:43 AM »
I watched my cousin fence off an area around an old barn that was overwhelmed in weeds and grass. I think 6 piggies. They sure mowed that down quick, and they love young pig weed and lamb quarters. Groundhogs do to, I watch them in the yard on new seeded lawn, they go for them lambs quarter leaves big time. I wish they ate burdock, maybe piggies do. :D
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2021, 11:07:20 AM »
I don't know all the ins and outs but some local guys are opening a small processing facility. Its been a 3 year process getting all the proper permits, inspections, etc in place from the USDA, state health department, and probably other agencies I've never heard of.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2021, 01:20:52 PM »
Feeding Poultry Litter to Beef Cattle | MU Extension

So i just discovered it is legal and likely common for large beef producers to feed poultry poop to their beef...?  As my son would say, thats disgustipating.  Im surrounded by poultry congolmerates and hope the local steaks arent overwintered on fermented chicken plops. 

Offline newoodguy78

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »
Be careful,The more you dig into commercial food production the less you’ll like it ;)

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2021, 02:39:59 PM »
No it isn't. But, it used to be. I still have the books with recommend USDA daily guidelines. Mad cow disease put a stop to the practice, thankfully. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2021, 07:18:35 PM »
FWIW mostly in my state any poultry barn waste goes to feed cropground.. Corn/soybeans  feed livestock. 
They feed me :)...

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2021, 08:33:48 PM »
Corn/soybeans  feed livestock.  They feed me ...
Which makes me a vegetarian ;D.

Commodity food production is one reason I prefer home grown or local food.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2021, 11:22:07 PM »
No it isn't. But, it used to be. 
Isnt popular or isnt legal?  Univ of missouri link claimed it was halted in 03 and approved again in 05 by FDA.  Was it banned again after 05 and the link is just old?

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2021, 11:23:23 PM »

Commodity food production is one reason I prefer home grown or local food.
 You aint kiddin.  Id rather take my chances with lead poisoning and CWD. 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2021, 09:40:45 AM »
It's my understanding that feeding any animal by product or carcas to a bovine is prohibited. If memory serves me correctly the EU and Japan would not buy our beef because of the whole issue so that was the catalyst.

For sure don't think I am standing up for big AG here.

Of course Country Of Origin Labeling (COOL) was removed so who knows what the lobbyists might have gotten done on a Friday night. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2021, 10:34:35 AM »
   This reminds me of the the tale a co-worker from SC told one time about a pig farmer down there who was shut finally down. They said he had rows of pig pens so tight the pigs could not even turn around and he had them lined up head to tail and just fed the first one. 

I remember an episode on Mountain Men where Eustace Conway down near Hickory NC built a pig and chicken pen with the pigs on top with wide gaps in the boards and the chickens lived underneath and just foraged through the pig droppings.

I'd heard of people having rabbit hutches built over worm beds and they raised fish bait from the rabbit wastes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2021, 09:47:56 PM »
In the 50's Purina came to my Dad's hometown. In order to convince farmers to bring their grain to them to be ground into feed they put up a set of demonstration pens out front. In the first pair they had 2 hogs, one upstream of the other. The first hog ate whole kernel corn, the second ate what came out of the first hog. The second hog grew bigger. The corn was starting to be broken down in the first but was mostly utilized by the second.
The next pen had a single hog fed ground corn, it outdid the other two.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2021, 10:09:24 PM »
Chickens will turn composting manure to get the bypass corn :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2021, 12:04:11 AM »
Boy you guys are making me think mcdonalds pink slime maybe isnt so bad!  Atleast i dont know what it is!   :D

Alright note to self.  Grind the corn and orient the oinkers side by side, not inline. 

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2021, 12:18:12 AM »
But Mike, where is the (experimental) fun in that  :o
Trying harder everyday.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2021, 12:41:59 AM »
I watched a show, I think it was called "Going Tribal" where this dude would go out and live with these tribal people, go through all of their rites to become a member of the tribe and so on. In the kne episode he was with a tribe somewhere between India and China. This tribe had a two story outhouse. You went to the upstairs and did your business, and the bottom level was a pig pen. So the pigs just squealed and cleaned it all up. The bonus was, when it was time for the guy to go home, they cooked one of those pigs and had a going away feast for him. Waste not want not?🤢
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2021, 12:55:21 AM »
And here i thought this was gonna be about the 2 story outhouse.  Employees on ground floor, management upstairs. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How do I clean this filthy motor?

Started by George Zarifis on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2016, 03:50:28 PM
by 4x4American
xx
Filthy, dirty, abrasive tree bark

Started by T-Rex on Urban and Community Forestry

5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2019, 09:12:23 AM
by Magicman