The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: You filthy swine!  (Read 14197 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: You filthy swine!
« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
the brooder is in the weather tight shed for now so i dont have to consider any form of predator issues.  once big enough, they go in the A frame coop down on the grass strip where im gonna move them. these birds are only coming out for the cone hug.  if the dogs wanna go down there chewing the chicken wire and stressing my birds ill get a BB gun and start letting them feel it. electric wire to keep them away is also an option.  

my friend would hang the dead bird on a string overhead and whip the dog every time it went up for the bird.  i think itd be best with a shock collar but i dont have the money for that right now.  still need to make the plucker asap.  
Isaiah 63:10

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #221 on: September 02, 2021, 01:17:22 PM »

blended tomato pulp in the gutter and blended cow corn in the pan.  both grown here for free. theyre a bit too young to eat black soldier fly larvae but ive got hundreds of those digesting all of my food waste and converting it to protein and fat.  for now im trying curly dock and plantain for protein.  need a bigger blender! 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2021, 04:01:24 PM »
Do you have a little sand / grit in there for them to peck at? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #223 on: September 02, 2021, 04:10:21 PM »
Yeah, some mason sand from the pool base is in the bedding.  Should it be in a bowl instead? Or in feed?

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #224 on: September 02, 2021, 05:15:38 PM »
The Chicken Ranch   has begun.  :) That sand is probably  good enough, I asked the chicken doctor across the room to be sure.... They don't use it when starting chicks, just bedding, feed, and water..

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: September 02, 2021, 05:45:08 PM »
well, gimpy foot probably wont make it to tomorrow night.  doesnt get up anymore,  gave him water by a straw drip and he drinks but not eating. cant hold head up or keep eyes open.. a lot like pity when she showed up.  such is life i guess. 

any of you ever heard of chicks dying from heart attack if allowed to eat too much?  my brother said something like that can happen. ive never heard of it. 

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2021, 05:53:43 PM »
The Chicken Ranch   has begun.  :) That sand is probably  good enough, I asked the chicken doctor across the room to be sure.... They don't use it when starting chicks, just bedding, feed, and water..
AH The Chicken Ranch, what a great name, it even rings a bell....let me think.... oh, ah, nevermind. Well maybe that's a different venture you could partner with Barge on sometime.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2021, 08:47:48 PM »
Got some whey? Juice on the top of yogurt. Nature's miracle elixir for birds.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »
I do.  Same as cottage cheese juice right?  

Gimpy has passed on but the rest look great. 

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2021, 08:59:05 AM »
Looking good Mike!!! 

We just "ended up"  ::) with another dozen Pekin ducklings. "They were practically giving them away!" Half are sold on pre order already so that makes me feel better, the rest can go in the freezer if they have to. Them and the goslings are growing like weeds. Lots of bird butchering coming up. The guinea hens are going in the soup pot too. Dumbest creatures alive except for some humans.

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2021, 09:08:54 AM »
RIP Gimpy. Happy mountain 
A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
Milton Friedman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2021, 12:46:32 PM »

theres breakfast.  theirs, not mine!  i figure feed them what i should eat, then i will eat them. 

the days split cherry tomatoes that will mold before i get around to making another batch of sauce, 2 ears of corn kernels just off the stalk, some dockweed, some plantain leaves, splop of yogurt, splash of milk, water, and a handful of little protein nuggets all blended up. boy do they dive off that dry grain feed for this mash. its fun to watch them fight for the biggest tomato skins.

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2021, 02:22:25 PM »
Yes I have heard of broilers growing so fast they suddenly expire.  A small amount of death loss is not  unusual  starting chicks like that.  So far you are  doing well. :)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2021, 04:12:24 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance doc. 

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »
I was pulling for Gimpy.  Rest In Peace, Gimpy, on Happy Mountain at the perpetual feed trough.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
well, unfortunately theres another one.  same thing, toes are crossing over and thus it doesnt stand much. its eating this morning but i wont be surprised if i lose it too.  i guess 10-20% loss is the normal on cornish cross and it doesnt take much google to find people that have lost dang near all of some pretty big batches.  apparently these are a very overbred, highly unstable bird.  

i have not found an exact interweb case that matches mine so i dont know what it is yet.  a regressive trait from excessively interbreeding the same bloodline?  onset of heart issues?  dietary insufficiency?  i dunno. 

today they got less corn, same amount of tomato, more leafy green protein and vitamins, more chopped up larvae protein and fat, a tiny bit of chopped peanuts for additional protein, salt and vitamins.  i made some $ yesterday and have to head to town for some dog food and will probably get some unmedicated starter to atleast try that and be sure its not me poisoning them.  

i am thinking if it was sickness the whole flock would go down, and if it was diet the others would be doing poorly but they are very very vibrant, running all over, flapping wings, chasing flies, chasing the one with the tomato scrap in its beak.  i think bad diet would show in all of them.  im hopeful its just the genetic consequence of breeding for extreme production.  that seems to be a consensus on that among the obviously professional bird growers who i have been able to sift from the plethora of backyard hobby answers. 

so cliffnotes, i have no clue what im doing.  just figuring out as i go like always. 

Offline newoodguy78

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
Mike I agree those Cornish crosses are not a hardy breed at all. My exes family used to raise 3-4,000 annually for years. I would consider them excellent at it , if they got under 10% loss in a batch they were excited. Every once in awhile they wouldnt lose any, that was cause for celebration. 
I like that feed youre mixing up but am curious if all essential minerals are there? Just a thought, hate to see you get in a jam there. 
Probably not an issue right now but if you do a batch in cooler weather crowding to get warm and suffocating each other is a real concern. Always found a circular pen with a light in the center worked best. 
Youll appreciate what they will do for your land , the stuff coming out their backside is rocket fuel for soil.
Keep up the good work.

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2021, 02:44:59 PM »
Could make a mobile “chicken pen” that you can haul around spots of your lawn you want to be tick and insect free, bring them out in that pen first thing in morning before feed and move the pen over to another patch of grass every 5-10 minutes. I seen this being done somewhere in YouTube and thought it was a good idea, basically grading the grass free of ticks lol
A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
Milton Friedman

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2021, 03:19:13 PM »
I don't like it but if I get a 10% loss per batch I consider it acceptable. The batch we are harvesting now only lost 1 or 2%, one before that was 12% or so.

The Post Office shipping element can add a lot of misery to the process and you can't do a thing.

Few years ago I had a 99% loss on a batch of turkeys. That was hard.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2021, 03:24:18 PM »
I have a pen that will get scooched along  daily in a grassy run so that the tin will block north wind and south sun.  Its got soffit intakes and fully vented ridge with removable ridge tin for sweltering weather.  With the top off you can really feel cool air pulling in the bottom drip line. Its also downpour proof and has a center brace down low to give them a perch for dry feet or getting off cold wet ground... And to make the fatties jump over for going from food to water.  Little exercise.  

I broke down and bought probiotic chick grit and non medicated crumbles today for more than i wanted to spend. Just to be sure some trace element deficiency isnt the culprit here.  

Gimpy 2 has wierd feet but is strong abd fiesty if you pick him up.  Gimpy 1 could hardly keep its eyes open or hold its head up, it had no fight in it when i was nursin him. (like pity the dog when she showed up starved and diseased)  

Anyways a scrap of maple tubing makes a pretty good beak water dropper.  Theyre really goin after that grit.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How do I clean this filthy motor?

Started by George Zarifis on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2016, 03:50:28 PM
by 4x4American
xx
Filthy, dirty, abrasive tree bark

Started by T-Rex on Urban and Community Forestry

5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2019, 09:12:23 AM
by Magicman