The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: You filthy swine!  (Read 14197 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: You filthy swine!
« Reply #240 on: September 04, 2021, 03:28:22 PM »

Few years ago I had a 99% loss on a batch of turkeys. That was hard.
Dang thats terrible.  I see what they want for them things.. Expensive compost. 
I got very lucky that shipping happened in a temp lull from the storm and all came out full throttle.  Its this footy thing i have to keep tabs on i guess.  No other issues at all so far. 
1/29th loss.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #241 on: September 04, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »
Yeah, I learned a lot that time. I half wonder if it could be a mineral issue, either missing or too much. Some animal feed has added copper and that can be toxic in excess concentration. 

If you see a third one then I would suspect an environment cause, if it's just the two, then bad luck. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #242 on: September 04, 2021, 03:38:30 PM »
Took both kids to watch the sale barn action on the way by.. It was packed.. Watched 10 minutes or so of bred cows and cow calf pairs.  Got a cheesesteak and fries at the little restaurant and the lady just gave the kids ice cream for free. Sort of like 1970 here. Half the trucks are that old and the other half brand new. 

Talked to a guy in a new F350 crew with nice tri axle that i saw drive by full and was sitting empty.. Obviously a seller.  So i walked over to shoot the breeze and see if hed explain some of what im seeing go on. 

Ended up being a hired transporter who was hauling cows for the family that owns the pature behind me. Got some pretty good info. They all know each other. The hot bidding buyers are there purchasing for a packing plant and the growers in the know make sure to unload when that crowd is there purchasing everything that can walk. Lot of good info, im sure ill run into him again. 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2021, 03:40:30 PM »
What range were prices? 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2021, 04:07:35 PM »
in nature these would prob. not survive if they are that over bread.  we always fed commercial stuff, till birds were well started. then let them fend more for themselves.  we used for eggs and fun, not meat.  sounds like some good homeschooling exercises.  we did a more "free range"  and then coop them up at night.  only had one neighbor complain.  all the others thought it was neat.  we have been annexed into town.  even in town you are allowed 1 foul for each 2,000 sq. feet of grass (land not cover by a building) you have.  my son used to hold the chicks and set in the coup.  my daughter thought they all wanted to peck her eye balls out.  she wore glasses.   :o   :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2021, 05:23:31 PM »
Im house sitting for a neighbor on a half acre lot with 2 dogs, a cat, a 275-300lb sow, rabbits, chickens, 4 or 5 full grown turkeys..  All in barns or a mud lot.  Theyre not dirty people but the sensation of animal filth is pretty high.  The stink and the flies are pretty extreme.   If you were to butcher anything there it would be in a swarm.  I think nature just wasnt designed to keep up with the bacteria and PH balance of constant manure and no sunshine.  

Their feed cost is pretty high. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #246 on: September 04, 2021, 05:39:10 PM »
What range were prices?
Well .. Kinda hard to say since im so new to watching it. 

the last short sit by myself there was individuals. steers, bulls and cows no calves. and that was $/cwt format with every animal scaled.. The bidding was on rate per cwt.  Ranged from a low of like 25c/lb for a sick animal to i think $1.08/lb on 1800lb macho bulls.  I think the sick animal was like $200, the highest macho stud was around $2300 and the midrange was about 50-70cents/lb for typically thousand dollar animals.  

Today the portion i saw was cow calf pairs and bred cows.. 15, 20 minutes just for the kids to see how life works behind the screens scenes.  Today it was outright price auction (plus whatever fees and tax im sure) without weight being on the screen.. I guess he coulda been saying the weight at 300mph in southern mountain talk but it was unrecognizable as a language.. Barely barely make out the prices he was soliciting.

It was harder to keep up this time because there was a few lot sales and i dont know if the price was each head or for both.

Around $800-1100 per mature animal or cow/calf pair for most black breeds.  There was a brown and white cow calf pair that didnt sell and they split the young calf away.. That went down to $80 then sold @ $150.  I think $500ish was the cheapest cow i saw and $1400 highest.  A fat, short legged, slick hide angus cow, prob 1400#. I kinda like the cwt bidding better. 

Ive never seen a south poll there, thats for sure.  Would really like to see what a greg judy animal would bring.  I get the impression anything here thats not angus is penalized.  Maybe 5% of them are actually good looking.. Sleek, wrinkled necks, good hour glass leg bones, filled out chests and saddled guts etc. 

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #247 on: September 04, 2021, 09:47:35 PM »
Mike there was a chicken water electrolyte suppliment called Electro-vite we used to carry. Look for a similar product to add to the drinkers when you go to town.   $1100 for a cow calf pair is pretty cheap unless she had a bad bag, no teeth or really bad atttitude.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #248 on: September 05, 2021, 12:59:49 AM »
A 1000 lb finished Greg Judy South Pol would not do well in that auction at all.  Those are commodity market buyers - they want black hide monsters.  The Angus folks did a great job of promoting their brand, and you saw this in the sale.  The other issue is that small framed cows are very much discriminated against when it comes to feed lot abattoirs.  The reason is simply a matter of through put efficiency in the plants.  The cost to carve a 14 oz ribeye from a 1500 lbs corn and soy finished Angus is the same cost as cutting a 9 oz ribeye from a 1000 lb grass fed and finished sow.  The mega plants work on fractions of a penny and a reduction in labor is a savings.  A labor reduction because the grower (farmer) us willing to grow larger cattle, while growing them less efficently, is even better.  Get the producer to carry the largest risk and you have an unbeatable monopoly.    
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #249 on: September 05, 2021, 11:54:09 AM »
Thats basically putting words to the thoughts ive had swirling around.  Just like many a sawmill doesnt care what happens to the forest as long as profitable logs stay coming in cheap for now, the packer does not care what happens to the farms.  Just keep the beef coming in the gate cheap for now.

Economies of scale reaching the pinnacle of their benefit and going back over the other side of the hill to a detriment sunset.   You cannot always go bigger better faster more costly upfront. Everything has a sweet spot.

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #250 on: September 05, 2021, 03:59:49 PM »
There really isn't anything growing in my garden i couldn't buy cheaper at the store if you consider all the inputs including labor. 

At the same time there is very little at the store that resembles "real" food. Grown and packaged to maximize appearance and minimize waste. Taste and quality no longer figure into the equation.

You want the real deal you better plan on producing it yourself. Even the majority of the roadside stands are somebody peddling boxed crap underneath a pop-up canopy to people who never had fresh from the farm.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #251 on: September 05, 2021, 07:48:25 PM »
Youve got to do something with your time and tilling the earth is probably more righteous than trolling tik tok all day on the welfare.  Gardening gets more and more satisfying as i get better at it.  

Just finished making sauce, 1st really good batch ive ever made. The extra got a plop of sour cream and we ate it like salsa.  Thanks for the motivation swampdonkey.  Economically stupid at this time, yet exceptionally satisfying.  

And a protein smoothie to boost my vitality. 

This little blender doesnt like cob chunks too much but it worked and got even more meat off the bone.  Birds annihilate it.  Gimpy 2 got quarantined to protect him from his now much bigger sibblings.  Hes got a weak passenger side leg but is otherwise a strong bird so im making him or her do squats on my chest and manually feeding.  Maple tube and a pencil makes a pretty good cottage cheese injector. 

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #252 on: September 05, 2021, 07:54:48 PM »
You must be planning a big grow for next spring. 
A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
Milton Friedman

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #253 on: September 05, 2021, 08:47:03 PM »
Was given a jar of home made salsa last year, first time she had made it. Well, something wasn't quite right. We opened the jar and instant VOLCANO! Got a good chuckle out of it! 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #254 on: September 05, 2021, 09:12:23 PM »
And mess as well  :D
Trying harder everyday.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #255 on: September 06, 2021, 08:38:12 AM »
Mike, you are a kind and compassionate man to give Gimpy 2 such care.  I would like to stay undated on Gimpys progress and prognosis. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #256 on: September 06, 2021, 08:47:54 AM »
Now that's a smoothie.

For a chicken!!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #257 on: September 06, 2021, 09:37:52 AM »
Thanks WDH, i will keep you posted.  Im learning as i go, hopefully not to Gimpys  detriment.   Funny story, yersterday while im trying to get gimpy to exercise those weak legs by letting him push off my chest and straighten them, he fires off a ripe plop right down my shirt.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2021, 04:52:36 PM »
so me using the blender gave the wife plausible deniability to go out and buy a ninja blender cuz it was on sale.  i was not pleased with the cost despite said discount at all, but man, it is a beast. it absolutely facilitated making an excellent jar of sauce with onion and pepper into an easy job on its first day.  and today it has eaten chopped up corn blocks, cob and all, like a tire shredder.  

no larvae smoothies in this one.  

this thread is helping me remember my steps for later to look back at what was good or bad.  i made about a half gallon batch of feed slop that was very high in yard greens, mostly curly dock.  plus tomato and maybe 3 full ears of corn with cob.  using rainwater, no chlorine.  the mix was very green and theyre not too into it.  i also have a batch in rainwater fermenting to try that. really want to minimize the crumbles or any purchased feed into just a nutritional supplement to prevent deficiencies, rather than a primary food. 

i made a new elevated feeder by screwing a slit 2" pvc pipe onto a 2x4 to make them step up to the trough, get some exercise and limit how much wood chip and plops land in the feed. that part is working pretty well. 

they did eat todays green goo mix, but mostly picking for corn.  not the ferocious piranha attack that you get by putting straight tomato seed pulp down. so i put some crumbles on one side of the green goo and a sprinkle of my deer mineral mix (dical 18.5 and trace mineral salt 50/50) on the other and they dont have a preference that i can detect.  

for bedding i have been building up a deep litter.  started with planer shavings and then fresh grass from the mower bagger, then more shavings ontop.  they seem very happy with that mix comfort wise.  when they go outside i will empty it out and compost it.  soon i will start putting soldier fly larvae in there for them to dig after.  too young to eat one now but they do like scratching.  im told these birds just eat and sleep which cant be any better for their health than it is for ours. i want to see a little more cardio in there.  

when they go in the pen outside, theyre gonna be doing the labor to enrich, mix and till my lasagna compost into new garden sites as i creep the pen along a sunny lane. 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #259 on: September 06, 2021, 10:17:02 PM »
Wait until you start messing with cows - they give nice surprises!!   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How do I clean this filthy motor?

Started by George Zarifis on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2016, 03:50:28 PM
by 4x4American
xx
Filthy, dirty, abrasive tree bark

Started by T-Rex on Urban and Community Forestry

5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2019, 09:12:23 AM
by Magicman