iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You filthy swine!

Started by mike_belben, June 25, 2021, 11:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Roxie, I can still hear the horse fly's frantic wings buzzing and the crunching sounds😂
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

I dont wanna let the cat too far out of the bag but for you poultry guys lamenting your feed prices, look closer at your lawn.  

I will put it this way.  When a truly grass fed bird is fed too much, it fails to finish its corn/grains.  Imagine that. 
Praise The Lord

21incher

I don't know  if chickens will eat stink bugs but up here millions of them emerged today covering everything and the birds seem to be enjoying them after they get the first couple down.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

gspren

Chickens will eat stink bugs!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mike_belben

We have them right now. Lady beetles come next in droves.
Praise The Lord

barbender

We are in the middle of the lady beetle apocalypse up here right now. Nasty things.

mudfarmer

Mike that is why I still resist building a tractor and use same method as doc of letting them out in morning and closing coop at night (they go in on their own at dusk). If I had to make up the difference in feed costs vs what they eat outside all day it would be a no go. 

We are in the woods and have lost 4 to predators over the years but also have A Very Good Dog that thinks the birds are hers and is very protective of them. No neighborhood so no neighborhood dogs to worry about just the wild song dogs and the foxes that mostly stay away because the cat of all things runs them off. He is getting real old and actually did not come home last night which is very unusual.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mudfarmer on October 03, 2021, 12:47:23 PM
We are in the woods and have lost 4 to predators over the years but also have A Very Good Dog that thinks the birds are hers and is very protective of them. No neighborhood so no neighborhood dogs to worry about just the wild song dogs and the foxes that mostly stay away because the cat of all things runs them off. He is getting real old and actually did not come home last night which is very unusual.
I hope your dog is OK and comes home today. I was down at my friends Bill's place working yesterday. Same setup, chickens forage through the woods all the way down the cliff at the sawmill to pester me some days. He has a spaniel mix dog that seems to mind the chickens and is OCD with respect to stick throwing. Anyway, yesterday I was at his shop and Sadie is following me around trying to get me to throw the stick because everybody else is up on the roof working on the second floor framing (including the 5 y/o little girl who apparently as strong ideas on how things should be done properly. I am still in awe of how she makes it up that 20' ladder). Anyway, down in the woods the rooster and several chickens all started making a ruckus of noise and that dog dropped the stick and took off like a shot. Never did ask what she found, but she was back a few minutes later and picked up the same stick. ;D False alarm I guess or chicken politics the dog didn't want to take a side in. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mudfarmer

Thanks Tom! 

The dog is sleeping in the same place as usual but cat has gone walkabout. Thankfully the dog doesn't wander, those that do around here often get shot  :-\

Bill sounds like a good friend to have and a cool place to work and hang out!

mike_belben

There are many wild roosting flocks of birds up and down the road but if any got near these dogs theyd be old fashioned pillow packing pretty quick. 

Ive had 4 free range straggler chickens in the past, just did whatever they wanted. Each one ended in someone's dog's mouth eventually. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Well i figure 17 pages is enough to fit in a pig picture

Neighbor friends have a big sow and a little boar, i got a call to go get a stray pig that was hanging around their pigs trying to dig into their pen and wouldnt go away. so either get it or they were gonna shoot it.  I figured well, why not.  

I get there and its a half wild full grown female potbelly with its ears chewed off long ago, id guess by dogs.  I cant say i wanted it but i said id come get a pig so i came and got a pig.  Did a little reading and all a potbelly sounds good for is lard. 

Small part of me says you dont know what its ate and its probably wormy but realistically its got a plump body condition, its not been in a filthy pen lately and has been foraging in clean woods and pasture, its probably healthier than most pigs.  Doesnt matter, i put it up for free and had 2 immediate late night wanters so it can go live somewhere else.  

Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

A1

doc henderson

I thought you were roasting it already with all the garnish and veggies around it.   :D   digin_2   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Quote from: mike_belben on October 06, 2021, 07:53:37 AM
Well i figure 17 pages is enough to fit in a pig picture

Neighbor friends have a big sow and a little boar, i got a call to go get a stray pig that was hanging around their pigs trying to dig into their pen and wouldnt go away. so either get it or they were gonna shoot it.  I figured well, why not.  

I get there and its a half wild full grown female potbelly with its ears chewed off long ago, id guess by dogs.  I cant say i wanted it but i said id come get a pig so i came and got a pig.  Did a little reading and all a potbelly sounds good for is lard.

Small part of me says you dont know what its ate and its probably wormy but realistically its got a plump body condition, its not been in a filthy pen lately and has been foraging in clean woods and pasture, its probably healthier than most pigs.  Doesnt matter, i put it up for free and had 2 immediate late night wanters so it can go live somewhere else.  
You should feel bad. That pig is going to miss you Mike

barbender

Yep, it thought it found it's forever home, look how happy it is!

21incher

Mike's animal rescue has saved the day again  for another poor defenseless animal. Your a good man Mike.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mike_belben

well.. i dunno.  i saved the others because they served a purpose for me in guard dog needs.  i took this one for sight unseen sausage then decided it didnt serve me, id like some muscle in my lard blob and this thing dont have it.  ive got 5 people in line that want a pet pig so let them have it.  

hopefully the ones in my town follow through because i dont want to try transferring it out of the trailer at home in the pouring rain (it was a half hour chore to load for 3 adults) and i dont want to have to deliver outside the county. none of these callers seem to have a way to get it. hopefully they have a decent way to keep it. 

thing is alive, but hasnt moved a bit, hasnt eaten, pooped, etc.  i mean i could shoot it just to feed some soldier fly larvae but that seems a pretty cold thing to do and is just not me. i need a pretty good reason to kill something.  good sausage is a compelling reason right?
Praise The Lord

21incher

If it had been just for sausage it would have been loaded in no time all cleaned and ready to skin. Probably hasn't  moved because  you gave it a comfortable safe bed.

mike_belben

its been either dreary or pouring and trash pig has stayed tucked up under the piece of tin at the front of the sloped trailer staying dryish.  it did get up and just stand there for a while then spin around and go back to bed.

broiler update.

im at day 36 i believe.  still have 19 birds, all are healthy and pretty similar in size, i guess theres one smallish bird left. i finally got batteries for the kitchen type gram/oz scale.  i grabbed two mid sized birds. lets say my flock ranges from 6 to 10 ounces and about pidgeon sized.

looking at the charts from hatcheries where birds are plopped in front of 12 on/12off grain feed, i am way behind.  they should be 3 to 4 pounds by now, there are reports of people leaving them to 24/7 feed hitting 10lbs in 6 weeks and that is just un natural in my opinion. now that i have a hands on perspective and a scale for the pace that a basically wild bird could be expected to grow just foraging for grubs, grass and seed...  i guess i now view a big perdue/tyson bird as the champion of a hot dog eating contest and it turns me off quite a bit to think of just how fat and lethargic that animal is.  no wonder they start just plain dying much past 8 weeks.. its like birdie diabetes and heart attacks and stuff.

so while it is disappointing to have such slow growth, i am confident these birds are healthier for my family, and certainly cheaper for me to raise.  theyre nearly free so if they take 12 or 14 weeks i am fine with that.  that theyre never lethargic and constantly full of energy is a positive sign.  if i walk up to the pen, not one bird will be sitting.  and they can pretty much all fly even with some clipped wings. im hoping that these 19 make it to the freezer and on the first bite i can say this was worth the aggravation, you cant buy this at walmart.  

lord knows the dogs think they taste great!
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

im getting closer on the fence charger front. ive seen as high as 4900 volts coming out the coil secondary, which i sure dont wanna get wacked by.  the first coil i think made quite a bit more based on spark but it burned up during an endurance test.  i was using a blinker relay which pulsed obviously as slow as a blinker. the problem was it also stayed on that long too and welded the blinker relay in the on position with left the coil full on and cooked it, puking out the jelly inside.

this time i turned a 5 pole relay into a relay oscillator with a capacitor which toggles as fast as a tattoo gun buzz, this is to switch the ignition coil like a breaker or magnetic crank triggler would.  naturally it wont last long but it proved out a test.  the higher frequency and shorter duration makes the coil run much cooler.  so now im gonna order a 5 pack of adjustable frequency generator boards for a whopping $9.  they claim to allow the adjustment of frequency and duty cycle independantly.  its a 555 timer circuit.  a variety of capacitor sizes and that board should allow me to fiddle around with duty cycle and capacitance to get the hottest spark at the lowest run temps for max life.  i know buying a charger is the simple thing to do but im having fun and learning. anyone can teach their kid to swipe a credit card.  im trying to teach mine to look through the junk pile and create what they need.

ive got two 160ft portable goat mesh electric fences now, 48" tall. unfortunately i had to buy those and they werent cheap!
Praise The Lord

Southside

Nothing wrong with that at all Mike! You get that figured out and it could be a great side gig for you. 

For comparison, this is what a charger that costs north of $1K will do, so you definitely have something there.

That remote lives in my pocket like a cellphone. I have grabbed it thinking it was the phone.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Thats impressive for being juice down the line and not off the lug like im checking.  Solar or plug in?  Lemme guess. Stafix?

A variable capacitor from one of the spare boards will get desoldered to use as the ignition breaker condensor so i can tune it for peak juice.  

Theres always performance coils too but so far im just using junk i had. Old car parts, washing machine parts. Just stuff in bins.  Yeah i bought a new deep cycle battery but i kinda need it for the tractor to be winching so if this doesnt pan out no loss.  The solar panel and charge controller was $10 shipped and i could use half dozen more of them but seller discontinued.  

If it does pan out i have a serviceable solar charger where everyone else has to just bite the bullet and buy another when it quits.  I have plenty of spare bits for this and a 5 pack of oscillators on the way so same day fix should be easy. 

If it gets stolen atleast it was kinda cheap.  Good news is i can separate the panel and hide it on the roof of the goat wagon and hide the battery under the hood so to speak.  Cant hide an integrated charger to well.
Praise The Lord

Southside

Speedrite, which is Stafix just all under one name these days. It will run on 12V but is hooked to 120V for convenience. If the power goes down I just swap a plug and it's good to go. 

Your ground is just as critical if not more critical than the energizer in a fence system. 

Way to many times I have seen folks with a horrible ground set up and monster charger that won't even tickle you. 

Opposing wires in a fence, hot, ground, hot, work great as the animal will bump both and get a full zap, not reduced by poor soil conductivity. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

21incher

I use those cheap adjustable frequency generators to manually control stepper motor drives and they work great. 

btulloh

Can you vary the duty cycle on those or just the freq.?
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!