The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Efficacy of burning out pine stumps with Heterobasidion Root Disease  (Read 1042 times)

Offline stumpdaddykane

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Hey y'all, I'm working some land that has had a history of blowdowns, pine bark beetle, and Heterobasidion Root Disease in Northern WI. l consulted with a Forester and he says that all these variables are playing off each other so he recommends dropping the dead and dying pine to prevent spread to the healthy stuff. This would also mean that all the material would have to be burned on site as it would host the fungus and insect vectors.  

My question is if burning out stumps is effective in your experience compared to getting a stump grinder in there and removing the gridndings. If so, any tips for burning stumps as quickly as possible?  Thanks y'all.

Offline Joe Hillmann

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Efficacy of burning out pine stumps with Heterobasidion Root Disease
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 09:59:17 AM »
I have found the best way to burn stumps is to cut grooves into the top surface with a chainsaw.  Then light a fire on top of the stump.  Once you have coals put a blower on it.

It isnt really efficient
  It can take days to burn out the bulk of it.  And once you are done it can continue burning on it's own for weeks underground.

I once burned one out in the spring and months later a hollow tree next it caught on fire.  I suspect the fire may have been smoldering under ground all that time and eventually worked it's way into the hollow tree.

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 11:09:13 AM »
Ah yes, Ive been burning pine stumps recently, cut a 55 gal drum in half or 3/4 and set it over the stump elevated with rocks a couple inches so it gets good air flow, start a fire in it get it charcoaling good and keep it going until it sinks into the ground. Boring slots into it with saw helps 
A1

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:58:39 AM »
There's an old trick for removing stumps that might work but it takes a while .Sprinkle powdered milk on the stump and wet it down and cover it with a plastic tarp for a week .If conditions are right it should grow mushrooms which in time it will disappear .Might take a few years . Of course a good soaking with diesel fuel makes them burn good .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Heterobasidion Root Disease

Started by Ron Scott on Forest Education

0 Replies
Last post August 01, 2018, 01:34:48 PM
by Ron Scott
xx
burning stumps

Started by postville on Forestry and Logging

42 Replies
Last post January 01, 2022, 10:56:40 AM
by beenthere