iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Mulcher at work

Started by Jeff, July 16, 2021, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We hired a Forestry Mulcher to help widen our Eastern Upper Peninsula woodland trails and create new ones for better access to help manage our 43 acres. It was very difficult to safely get video shots of this machine on trails as you either needed to be in front or behind, neither, wise options. I found this out right quickly as you see in the video. Many shots are zoomed, or as in one sequence, from an elevated deer blind, "Pete's Blind" which still got some spray. I used big trees or any trees to my advantage while on the ground. :D

Forestry Mulcher at work at our Upper Peninsula Cabin. - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

btulloh

Nice. Good operator. I'm a big fan of mulchers. Some of the best money I ever spent was on a mulcher. 
HM126

Resonator

When they set up those machines they put bullet proof glass on the cab for a reason. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jeff

Jeff

The mulcher is coming back today. Hopefully Ill get some aerial footage of it at work. I practiced yesterday without issues, so hopefully no drone crash.

What we are doing today is going to dramatically change the view from the cabin. The pond is 410 ft from the back of the yard. All the brush between those 2 points is going to be removed. Lynda has always hated the tag alders. Were goona see the lay of this land for the first time!

WV Sawmiller

Neat looking machine at work. Left you some real nice trails that look like you can maintain with the side by side and the tractor and bushhog. Once you get those 2 dogs trained to pick up and carry off the limbs that fall in the trail you will be all set for good. :)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

That is impressive, first time I have seen one at work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

Before today, this view didn't exist.

btulloh

Looks great Jeff.  You're turning that into a real showplace. 

I love mulchers.  Money well spent when you need to clean up a lot of dense growth.  It's amazing what can be done in a day or two by a good operator with a decent machine. 
HM126

pine

You mentioned that you got more work for less money with this guy.  Did he do it on an hourly basis or did he bid it at a fixed price bid?  How many hours did it take?  It looks like you had him basically cut trails.  Did not see any large openings being mulched other than your turnaround.

I have done it both ways depending upon the job.  Looks like for your project an hourly rate would have been best suited.  I have no idea what the rates run up in your area.  My contract states that the customer can not be within 300 ft of  operations due to safety.  I have had my mulcher throw material over 300 ft and break things in the past.  Your operator appears to have had an HDT double carbide tooth setup and that works very nice for the type of work you had done.

Bottom-line a muicher is very environmentally friendly.  It takes the vegetation and returns it to the soil via mulching it into various sized pieces or just turning it into an evenly sized fine mulch.

Glad you are happy with the job he did.

Old Greenhorn

Man, you could open a campground now. Lynda must really love this. This is just gorgeous. I think the real treat will be next spring when the brown disappears and you jsut have to run the brush hog over it to keep it down. That has got to feel really good!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

@pine , The first guy that came out for an estimate quoted me $2000 to do the trail work I wanted at $200 an hour and said he'd do the pond after that in trade for advertising here. He never showed up. Dave, the guy that I eventually hired, did all the trail work AND the pond for $1000. He's a great and fluid operator. If you press him for an hourly rate, its also $200 an hour. He will tell you that with him you get way more bang for the buck and he aint lieing! Yesterday he came back for a beauty job. Creating a view the 410 feet to the pond, where if I can ever raise the money, he will come back and make an honest to goodness fish pond. 
Im a bit overwhelmed with the change. 25 years of looking into brush, and just 1 hour after he leaves, I step out and there re 3 deer under the old apple tree that had been hidden in all that brush. I about cried. All the work yesterday was $700. 

Guys, my hands are to crippled up to play my instruments anymore and they deserve to be played. 1911 gibson mandolin that was my dads and my 1957 gibson es125 hollow body guitar. If you know a musician looking for some vintage insruments, That is how id like to fund the rest of this if anyone is interested. My dad would be thrilled if I could.

I was able to get back in the cabin and get a quick clip of those deer.

First deer, just 1 hour after mulching brush - YouTube

jb616

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 25, 2021, 08:17:49 AM
Man, you could open a campground now. Lynda must really love this. This is just gorgeous. I think the real treat will be next spring when the brown disappears and you jsut have to run the brush hog over it to keep it down. That has got to feel really good!
Site of the next Pig roast?  ???

Jeff

If we did that it might not be a pigroast.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

You got the right man for the job, Jeff. What a hoot. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

My new view to the pond has been obscured all day, my view out to the infield presented me with a line of Turkeys at the far woodline! The word must be getting out! I grabbed a camera but I dont think I got them.

Jeff

Old Greenhorn

Well that puts it in perspective! Looks great! 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

HemlockKing

A1

stanwelch

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

jb616

Nice view. Did you need to get a Drone license to be able to use it for Youtube videos? 

Jeff

Its not been used in a youtube video, but I may make one. It just would not be eligible for any kind of monetization when I do. Thats okay. None of my videos get monetized anyhow. Ill make two maybe. One with drone footage and one without.

Thank You Sponsors!