iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

East Coast Meet & Greet (Formerly VA Meet & Greet)

Started by VB-Milling, August 10, 2021, 02:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Looking forward to putting some names and faces together this Saturday. I'm expecting/hoping for proper representation from Sneads Ferry.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 09, 2021, 09:55:03 AM
   Looking forward to putting some names and faces together this Saturday. I'm expecting/hoping for proper representation from Sneads Ferry.
I'll be there, haven't told my wife, yet, but she will not want to come, that's for sure.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Patrick NC

Looking forward to it. We will probably be arriving about 2pm. We have hotel reservations for Saturday night in Virginia Beach. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

WV Sawmiller

We're coming up Friday night and will find a hotel nearby then after the shindig go visit friends about 50 miles away for a day or so. I haven't picked the hotel yet but there appears to be plenty close by.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

Wow!   The menu looks like that of a nice restaurant. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

VB-Milling

Thanks @Sixacresand  

Hoping for a great day. Safe travels everyone!

A little behind the scenes sneak peek lol

HM126

SawyerTed

Wishing I could have come but couldn't make it happen. 

Here's to all who attend, safe travels and good times!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Sixacresand

Quote from: VB-Milling on November 13, 2021, 07:23:24 AM
Thanks @Sixacresand  

Hoping for a great day. Safe travels everyone!

A little behind the scenes sneak peek lol

Thanks for sneak peep.  I know y'all had a good time.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Thanks for hosting this. Becky and I had a blast and it was so great to meet you and Kary along with the other derelicts dignitaries  ;) who showed up.

We made it to our friends house last night intact. Thanks again. You and the other attendees come see us in WV when you get the chance.
Howard Green

Jim_Rogers

VB-milling made enough food for 20 and only 7 showed up.
5 were FF members. Two were friends of VB-(Eric) from his other woodworking machinery forum friends.

Here is the guests in his Urban log yard:

Front row left to right is: WV sawmiller (Howard), Poquo (Jeff), and Jim Rogers
Back row left to right is: PatrickNC, VB-milling(Eric) and Brian (from woodworkers forum).

Thanks to Eric's wife for taking the picture and thanks to both of them for hosting a great afternoon of chats. And of course for all that food.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Poquo

Thanks for having us over Eric, I had a great time. It was nice to meet some fellow Forestry Forum members, the only other members I've met before this are Southside and Wudman.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Patrick NC

The meet and greet ws a great start to my first weekend off in several months. Eric had some very good food and I throughly enjoyed the conversation with everyone who was there.  Spent last night oceanside on the 6th floor of a nice hotel and then traveled down the outer banks to Avon today. Another night in a decent hotel with a beachside view and back home tomorrow.  Thank you Eric for the excuse to take some much needed time off. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

VB-Milling

Thanks to everyone who came near and far.  We had a great time!  The wind didn't cooperate for a spell there, but overall the weather was nice.

Kailey and I were happy to host such nice and gracious people.  I've been sharing all the thank you posts with her.

Lots of good conversations and new friendships forged, which is what its all about.  Its amazing how easy it is for people to get to talking when they have a few solid things in common.

One common theme I kept hearing was that my yard is too small LOL

Turnip was happy to see everyone leave, but we weren't...maybe we'll do an encore performance next year.
HM126

Southside

What is this "other forum" thing mentioned here? I am confused.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

VB-Milling

Quote from: Southside on November 15, 2021, 08:44:59 AM
What is this "other forum" thing mentioned here? I am confused.  :D

There is only one forum to rule them all!  LOL
HM126

WV Sawmiller

OK, I just accessed some of our pictures from this trip.

Sunrise pictures at Va Beach from our 7th floor hotel balcony before the get together.

Beach pictures later in the morning 

The ultimate way to make a sand castle

Is this the supply chain problem people keep talking about?

There are nice seafood places around. This was view out of window at lunch as I ate my fried oysters, Sweet potato waffle fries, hush puppies and cole slaw at Decoys Cafe. If you go to the bathroom you have to know if you are a "Hen" or a "Drake".

At our friends house next door at her daughter's house they are picking cotton. This guy is bushogging down the stalks after the cotton is picked. 

The machine on the left is compacting the cotton into bales about 25' long X 8' tall X 10-12 ft wide.

This is the tractor/combine/cotton picker coming in with a load to dump in the hopper to be baled. 

He's pulled up beside the second machine to do something. 

He's emptying a load into the press machine. 

Picking cotton. 

Another view. 

A finished bale. Two guy started the cover on the far end and it fed out of the press as the driver pulled forward. The farmer had to use a ladder to reach these corners and pull them over the bale. I saw round bales similar but bigger than round bales of hay but I understand that is a newer kind of machine. It rolls the bale of cotton in a wrapper and leaves the sides open.

Farmers here are also picking soybeans and I saw what appears to be winter wheat already planted and sprouted. Farming is a very big business here. In the past I've been here when they were growing peanuts, watermelons and corn.
Howard Green

VB-Milling

Nice pics Howard.  I really like the oceanfront in the off season.  It might be chilly, and you're not putting your chair and umbrella out, but there's no one around.  Nice and quiet.

I love a good Ford tractor.  Nice looking unit.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Thanks again for hosting the meeting. We got back about dark last night and had a blast with you and your wife and the rest of the members and guests who showed up.

I envy you guys there when I see those tall straight SYP trees growing everywhere. You guys have other species we don't see much up here like sweetgum and holly and such. My wife also got some neat pictures of a cypress swamp which is apparently the water reservoir for Norfolk. The guys over in Windsor and Suffolk and Smithfield and such have some serious swamps and I'd be nervous coon hunting and such in them. Then there are the huge beautiful farms in the area. It was great to get good seafood meals again. I loved seeing some of the old homes in the area.

We took I-64 straight east going and US 460 on the return route and passed through lots of interesting historical and other sites. We passed closed to Charlottesville where the Walton's house is an attraction and Mountain View Va where Dirty Dancing was filmed.
Howard Green

VB-Milling

You're welcome Howard.  I was so glad you and Becky were able to make it and make a fun getaway out of it.

There's some neighborhoods opposite my side of Great Neck Rd with some really nice SYP.  Got my hands on some recently that you probably saw stacked on my milling table.  Nice looking and smelling wood.

Charlottesville is a really nice area.  Kailey and I like most of Nelson County and have made many trips out there in the last 10 years.  Great wineries, cideries and breweries as we are into that sort of thing.

Glad to hear you are home safely.

Maybe we can do it again next year if people would like.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!